1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polyamory

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Robert, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just wondering what everyone thought about polyamorous relationships (intimate relationships with more than two people involved)? Would you ever enter in to such a relationship? And have you ever been or are you polyamorous?

I have never been in a polyamorous relationship but my partner has been in several.

2. LD579

I don't think I could do it, if only because I'd honestly probably get jealous and/or insecure. Besides, it's hard enough to find one guy who'd like me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've never been in one, but... I'm not sure how I'd react if my partner had multiple partners, or wanted multiple partners. I'm not against it but I think I'm just monogamous.

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Not against it, but I think that relationships would be healthier if they were between 2 people only, instead of sharing love. Then Somebody could be jealous or scared that they love the other person more, and so on and so forth. And....

4. Split Arrows

Dan Savage actually has a good line about this, "I've been to several poly weddings but I've never been to a poly 3rd anniversary party."

5. Ruthven

I don't know, I think I'm open to the idea. I'd prefer it if we all loved each other equally and stuff. But that's probably unrealistic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But I prefer a mono relationship more, and think it would be best for me. :slight_smile:

6. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's for me, but if it works for someone else, good for them. To each their own.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am totally interested in being in a poly relationship, but I've had a difficult time finding someone who doesn't mind sharing my love. I'm not a jealous person and I also a very confident woman, so I would not mind seeing my significant other with someone else. I've been actually thinking about asking my current girlfriend if she would like to date someone else, but I can imagine her reaction. And let's just say that I don't think things will work out between us in the end. So, I will proceed cautiously and may be ask her in joking way first.

There's this show called Polyamory: Married and Dating, and it is such an amazing show! Since watching the show, I have become more open minded and would not mind doing a little exploring...

#7 pinklov3ly, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get jealous I can't do it :dry: I just don't like to share

9. apostrophied

Hahaha Dan Savage is the best. I don't agree with everything he has to say, but every once in a while, he says these brilliant things like the sentence above.

10. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

No. I am not opposed to the occasional threesome situation or couples taking turns with one another. All of that is purely sexual and only for sexual purposes. Intimacy for me is solely reserved to one person who I am not only sexually attracted to but am emotionally/romantically on a very deep level as well. I can't share those emotions for just anyone. It takes that special person.

11. castle walls

I think that certain people are just wired for it. I've met a polyamorous couple (2 women and one man) that has been together for over a decade so I think it works for some people. I don't think that it works for most people but some people manage to make it work.

Personally, I don't think I could do a polyamorous relationship at least not long term. I'm on the monogamous side but I have nothing against polyamorous relationships. Generally speaking, I believe that consenting adults that aren't hurting anyone should be able to do what they want

12. I think people who are in or have been in poly relationships have a lot of teach strictly monogamous people about how to handle jealousy.

We often view it as just okay to be jealous sometimes about who your partner is spending time with or if they flirted with the cashier at piggly wiggly, but that's not really okay.

Jealousy usually comes from insecurities within, not from the actions of any other person whatsoever.

When you have to 'share' your partner(s) jealousy becomes something you have to actually analyze and work on. Maybe you're feeling jealous because you don't feel so good about yourself or you're really stressed out and maybe you need some help. But all of that stuff needs to get brought up and dealt with, not just passed off as jealousy and used to force other people to change their behavior in order to make you feel better.

I think polyamory and all other types of non-monogamous relationships (when they really are healthy and work and all partners are equally on board) have a lot of good things going on aside from handling jealousy as well. Clear boundaries, clear rules and expectations that must be brought up and shared and changed if needed.

I personally am not really interested in a poly relationship right now but I think they have a lot to teach monogamous relationships.