1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by laernir, Oct 23, 2013.

1. laernir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    3 years ago, I said "I like girls, and I like boys." I felt pretty confident in my choice of sexual orientation. Now, 3 years later, I feel scared and sick that I may have mislabeled myself.

I keep hearing things like "I knew that I was gay when I was 10 years old." or "I realized that I wasn't straight at a very young age." I only even considered an attraction to girls when I was 14, and this was only because the growing lgbtq community around me. Before that, I was only attracted to boys and never even thought about being attracted girls.

I'm attracted to males, that I am sure of. I'm aroused by female bodies and "parts", but I rarely have strong romantic feelings for girls. In fact, I've only had one strong crush on a girl in my entire life, and it felt completely different from a boy crush. It was more like a toned down and less passionate version of an attraction to a male, but it lasted for more than a year.

When I tried coming out to my mom, but she told me that that she was 100% sure that I was only attracted to men, that my attraction to girls is only the influence of the media and the "gay popularity" nowadays. Sometimes I get scared that she's right and that I'm just lying to myself.

Please help!

2. Split Arrows

When it comes right down to it, the way you decide to label yourself and your orientation is completely up to you.

As far as all the "I've known since childhood" stuff that you hear, it doesn't apply to everyone. Take me for example. It wasn't until recently that I understood that I am attracted to men as well as women. Just because you come to a certain realization later does not make it any less real or make your attractions any less valid.