1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase? Or am I now just noticing it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Iodine, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never really questioned that I like guys. I just did. Even though I was very shy, the fact that I liked boys was very obvious and non-debatable.

As a kid, I was a tomboy. I detested girly things, and I still do. I would always dream about me being a knight in shining armor saving the gorgeous princess from the evil dragon, or something to that extent.

I had trouble not staring at my teachers'/classmates' breasts, or resisting the urge to play with the girl who sat in front of me's hair. I thought nothing of it - I thought everyone went through that.

One of my friends (let's call her Amy, for fun's sake) is in a few of my classes. But of course, there's a problem: I am ridiculously attracted to her, physically and romantically.

When I noticed this, I was caught waaaaay off guard. I mainly thought, "what the hell?" throughout my classes with her the first few days.

I've also noticed myself ogling girls in the halls in the same mindset I would with handsome guys. I've caught myself flirting with some of my female friends and acquaintances.

I've completely jumped over the black and white label of straight and entered the grey zone.

So herein lies my main problem - When the hell did I ever become attracted to girls? Is it really "just a phase" or is this me? Will I grow out of it? Because it damn sure doesn't feel like it to me, and honestly, I really don't want to. Who am I? :bang:

2. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It sounds like it was always there, when I was younger I didn't have trouble keeping my eyes away from breasts or my hands away fron girls hair. Sure I looked at breasts but I would consider it more curiosity than what youre describing, like I could help it. It can be really confusing though, questioning stuff like this really makes you question who you are and feel off balance

3. UIOP

Questioning your sexuality always raises hard and confusing questions. To me, it sounds like something might have always been in the back of your mind. Eventually, things will become clearer to you as you notice more about what you are and are not attracted to. Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether you want to be or not, sounds like you're attracted to girls. Don't worry about it, it's not a problem, there's nothing wrong with it.

It's possible that it could be a phase, but only time will tell. I thought I went through a 'bi phase' in my teens, but it turned out later that it wasn't a phase after all! Either way, it's fine - being straight and having a bi phase is fine, being bi is fine, being gay but having a straight period while you figure it out is fine. It's all fine.

Try to just be open to your feelings rather than forcing them towards or away from males or females, and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

5. Juneberry

Out Status:
    Some people
    Like the others have stated, I think it's always been there based on what you said. It's not a bad thing by any means though. As hitgirl said, it could be a phase. A lot of people go through phases trying to figure things out, and you're still young. However, from my personal opinion based on what you said, I think you have always had at least a mild attraction to girls as well. While many go through the phase of noticing the breasts of the girls around them, even among girls, the way you noticed them may be a factor. And the main issue here is you already admit and accept that you're attracted to 'Amy', right? So clearly, you have at least some interest in girls, since Amy is one. Or you just like Amy in general. I'm not sure.

But...Even if you're attracted to boys already and have a feeling of attraction to girls, I think what matters is more how you feel overall. You said you don't really want to 'grow out of it'...So doesn't that mean you're fairly happy as things are? I think the fact that you're happy liking both, and that you feel you do like both, is enough. But again, that's just me. Just take your time, and you'll find what makes you happiest both physically and emotionally over that time :slight_smile:

6. Iodine

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the support, everyone. I'll have to sort it out, but it's nice to have outside opinions. My community, my family excluded, isn't exactly the most welcoming to these thoughts. Its good to think and get input from kind minds. :slight_smile:

7. 2112

I know exactly how you feel, that was me a year ago (except with a guy).

It's never "just a phase". You don't just "grow out of it". I didn't realize that I liked guys until last year (though I should have known earlier, it seems so obvious now), so could be just noticing it now.