1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is fluid sexuality to you?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by momart, Nov 5, 2013.

1. momart

I've seen a few post on here about fluid sexuality, and actually learned about it here on EC.

There seems to be a disparity on what it is exactly counts as fluid.
    Many believe it is more likely in women than men. Has that to do with biological reasons? I do believe there is a degree of sexuality you are biologically predisposed to but I also believe that environmental factors have a lot to do with it too, (that said, many could be more biologically predisposed for one orientation and therefore feel that they've always known whether they were gay/lesbian/straight from a young age).

But I don't see it as bisexual or pansexual. At the same time I don't see fluidity as a separate orientation, but trancends them.

Personally I feel like I'm a different sexuality each day, but I am still figuring it all out, so this isn't about me but more general.

Is fluid sexuality likely to jump back and forth over periods of time?
    Is fluid sexuality more linked to emotional attractions to people over sexual attraction to genders?
    Is is real or is it a bridge, in your experiences, primary or secondary?

2. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think fluidity is a separate orientation too. When I was young I loved boys, and when I got to my teen years I started having romantic feelings for female friends and started finding women really attractive. Now I feel almost straight again. I hate thinking of my past feelings for females as raging hormones or bicuriosity, it was way more than "I wonder what it would be like...". I never thought I'd be attracted to men again, but I am. Maybe someday I'll start wanting a girlfriend again, or maybe I have the potential to fall in love with women and I just don't know it yet. Maybe it's a psychological thing.
    A lot of people think that you can't "start" liking a gender, but rather "realize" you like it, but I think it's possible. When I liked boys in my childhood I don't remember ever liking girls, and when I liked girls in my adolescence I didn't like guys even though I tried to. You always hear about married women leaving their husbands for other women, maybe those women weren't gay all along, maybe they did love their husbands once.
    Fluidity could be considered as bisexuality or pansexuality, but those labels are very limiting. You could be fluid and only want to be with one gender at a certain moment, you could call that bisexual but fluid describes it a little better.
    For some reason some people are under the impression fluid means you can choose, but just because it changes doesn't mean its a choice.
    I don't think everyones sexuality changes over time, but it certainly does happen for some people.

#2 MossyCave, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. momart

I agree with you MossyCave, and snap I'm in Ireland! ^^
    But yes, much of my experience growing up was the same, I am not sure if I am just "realizing" my attraction to women, because if that's all it was surely if would feel like more of an "aha!" moment, and it doesn't feel like that, rather it does feel like I am experiencing attraction for women, that is different from my attraction to men, yet I believe I genuinely was and am attracted to men and I am experiencing some new feelings for my own gender, yet I still feel in transitional state, it does feel like fluid sexuality describes how I feel I am right now. I thought I was pansexual before, and bi, but them do seem very limiting to me too (even though they are synonymous). It also definitely doesn't feel like a choice. The only choice we have is finding the label that fits and whether to act on these attractions.
    Do you think, or feel that your sexuality will continue to transition?

4. I consider myself sexually fluid as well, although at certain times leaning to one gender. As a child I also liked boys but as I got older I got curious about girls. I've been with both sexes and find my feelings for women a little bit more sustainable. But my feelings for men are still there.

I sort of see myself as lesbian by default (I fantasize about being in a close friendship/relationship with a woman) then I'd meet a man and he'll replace the woman in my fantasies. Until I get bored and go back to women. For me it just seems like a back and forth game, which sucks.

5. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yay someone else who's from Ireland! :wink: I remember when I thought I was gay, I was pretty sure I was gay and I didn't choose it, but I didn't feel like I was "born that way". It didn't feel genetic or chemically driven, but it was definitely there, it was just love I was feeling, kind of like a sexual preference rather than strict orientation.
    Well, I'm not sure if it will continue to transition or not. I find it quite hard to transition sometimes, like I'm always looking back on how I used to be and wishing for it. When I thought I was gay I would have given anything to be straight again, and now I'm straight and I feel like everything I went through was for nothing, and even though it sounds silly, I miss being gay. I'm always going to be looking back, no matter how hard I try to look forward. So because of that I feel like I would like it to change just once more, just so I know my adolescence wasn't a phase, but then again maybe it would be better for my own mental health if I just stayed the way I am. I probably will change again though, I'm not sure if I'm just feeling hormonal or whether I'm slowly gaining attraction for women again. There's a girl at college who I think likes me, and I feel angry at myself because a few years ago all I wanted was a girlfriend, and now I would finally have the chance only I don't like women anymore. I was wondering recently, if she didn't like me maybe I wouldn't be putting pressure on myself and everything would be easier and the answers would just come to me.

6. lowkey

lowkey Guest

there should be a sexuality for people who just get sick of the gender entirely an switches, until they get sick of that gender then they switch back..

cause i feel like i have that sometimes

7. momart

Yeah I will see some pretty girl and either feel jealous of her or jealous that I am not friends with her and omagine how good a friendship we could have. I don't really fantasize about women sexually. It's always more platonic. I could see myself living with a women in the future but I cannot see myself having sex woth her unless it's more casual, or one incident sort of thing. But I could see myself having frequent one night stands with women (like Olivia wilde in house ...and she is gorgeous). That said, I have always had a hard time trusting men and think I would feel happier in an open relationship with one as opposed to monogamy, and it takes me a long time to get comfortable around them.

I don't know what word suits me, I gave read on this that a lot of girls here on ec seem to feel repulsed when they interact sexually with the opposite gender (I am in a relationship with a nice guy at the moment but I like someone else and this kinda just happened. But times I try to busy myself to avoid him and times I like the intimacy. ...he's not exactly my type, I think if he were I wouldn't be so hot and cold. And that's another thing....is it okay to be so picky? I could find 10 attractive girls, but it's rare I find guys I really wabt to get to know better or find attractive. .. but once I do I'm smitten ^^" :rolle:slight_smile:. I will admit a penis is not the most flattering thing to look at, but I don't feel repulsed by it, kind of indifference, same with the vagina. Also when a guy is about to kiss me, I don't feel grossed out. I love kissing :lol: ....and while I feel inexperienced or aware that I haven't a clue what I am doing or how it feels for a guy, I still like doing stuff! So for that reason, I am not sure what label fits. Calling myself a lesbian who sleeps with men feels right but it's an oxymoron :icon_wink

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I so wish I knew the answers to this too. If I'd been here a year ago I would've listed myself as lesbian. I didn't really understand how anyone could be bisexual, unless they were just a slut or something. The old saying "pick a team." Now that I am one, it's been a little confusing and humbling to see my assumptions challenged.

When I found EC I listed questioning. I recently changed it to bisexual. Next year will I still be bisexual, or straight, or back to strictly lesbian? Although I'm not as sexually experienced as some of my local friends, I' am in my late twenties, and not a kid anymore. At this stage of the game I thought I should know what I want, what my limits are.

Although I currently am in a relationship with a guy, I don't have a general desire for other guys. Even though my guy rocks my world, I do still have sexual desire for women sometimes. What caused me to go from one to the other, and will it change back? Will I lose sexual desire and gradification for him, even though I might still love him emotionally? Is my desire "just a phase" as what my father tried to tell my mother when I came out to them? And what causes this? My environment certainly wasn't causing me to be interested in girls, and my body certainly wasn't telling me to have sexual contact with a guy, at least not before this guy.

Will I develop sexual desires for other guys in the future, now that I've had them my BF? I wouldn't cheat on him, but what if the relationship ends, who would I be attracted to in the future. If my previous partner hadn't passed away two years ago I'd still be with her. Is my current relationship merely psychological, or something else? Are we just comforting ourselves psychologically about our previous relatiionships? And if so, why with him instead of another woman, or why him with me instead of a straight woman?

I'm not the only one confused about this. He and I and my former partner had been platonic friends for years. When I initiated a sexual relationship with him he was a little blindsided. He was okay with it afterwards, but wondered if it was just a one time thing, or something more. At the time I didn't know either. Although I enjoyed it very much, I was confused about why it happened with a guy, particulary with my best guy friend. Since it was unplanned, neither of us thought about birth control, and the next day I vowed never to do something stupid like having sex with a guy again. Birth control was basically "don't do it until your married" in my high school, and isn't an issue anyway when you're strictly a lesbian. No such thing for a lesbian as an unplanned pregnancy, and what to do about it if you have one. I felt embarrased going to my Dr. over this but I had no choice. Thankfully she was totally nonjudgemental, and calmed my fears.

Fortunity I didn't get pregnant, and probably couldn't have anyway, based on my period schedule, but my Doctor wanted me to start on the pill regularly, and use condoms also next time. I told her there wouldn't be a next time, but she convinced me to do this, just in case. There was a next time, and another.

I have a bisexual friend who has admitted to me that she can go from having sex with a woman to a man or back in a heartbeat, if she knows and is comfortable with her partners. She's even had a threesome in a polyamorous relationship. Right now I couldn't even consider such a thing, even if my BF was okay with it, but what about the future? All these things I don't know. If I ever do figure it out and can prove the why of it, I'll probably win the Nobel prize or something. Right now all I can do is go with the flow, and see where it leads me I guess.

9. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, that's me too. Even back when I thought I was a lesbian the feelings were more like "romantic friendship" rather than anything else. When I like a girl it isn't Earth shaking and heartbreaking, it's more like "hey I want to talk to you, be close to you, cuddle you and kiss you, also you're beautiful", relaxed and affectionate, but still passionate in a way. I would have had sex with a woman though. When I think about men now I might feel aroused and really want to have sex with one, but it wasn't really like that for women. It wasn't lustful I guess? Until I came to college I felt like I disliked men, it wasn't just that I wasn't attracted to them. I found them intimidating and I found the guys that liked me to be annoying, when I got over the guilt of not liking them back. I way preferred the idea of spending my life with a woman, it made sense to me. I used to love the idea of vagina and breasts but now I'm just neutral towards them. For now my hormones are directing me towards men, but in the end we're all human and there are different types of love.

#9 MossyCave, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  10. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is for some people, but other people are just confused. Especially teens.

I've always been attracted to girls. When I was fourteen I started to feel like I was turned on by everything. That included guys. I don't think I was. I think it was just hormones.

I identified as bisexual for about a year. I was happy with that label because it explained my attraction to girls and my "attraction" to guys. I also got to avoid being a lesbian. I don't identify as bisexual anymore because I don't think I'm actually attracted to guys.

Despite finding a few guys very attractive and being "turned on" by them I don't actually want a relationship with them. I don't even think I want to do physical stuff with them. I have kissed a guy on the lips before and I found it gross. I wanted him to be girl.

Right now I'm not sure if my "attraction" to guys is real or not. Right now I'm identifying as queer/not straight. I often feel tempted to identify as gay/lesbian, but I'm not %100 sure if I'm attracted to guys or not.

11. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I feel gender fluid and so often times feel like a different gender on Tuesday as I do on Friday. The same goes with my sexuality, though I just label myself bisexual to make it easier. lol

12. momart

Right now my feelings towards any girl I think I have a possible real "crush" on are just romantic friendship, but at the same time I cannot deny the way girl on girl x videos excite me (I have been trying to fantasize about women I know in real life and it just is too weird for me!! It's more platonic, but I think I would be capable of sex with a random sexy woman....like olivia wilde ; P or a random encoumter...or at least I think O would be capable of it....). Today in my class, it was full of women and for the first time I didn't feel in any way uncomfortable to just "be". Whenever a guy is present I constantly feel the need to impress, not by choice though, it's more of an unconscious thing. But with women I do not have that feeling, I am just comfortable to be. I didn't feel anything sexual though, and we were in an art class looking at classic nudes of women. I feel exactly the same way about women that you do, I find some girls beautiful, I want their attention, I want a best friend that's slightly moreish I guess ^^ I want someone I can chat to about rubbish while cuddling and watchimg a film and just be me. I want someone who can bring out the best in me and makee feel comfortable to be crazy if I feel like it ^^

I'm not sure if I can get that with a guy because no matter how hard I try there is always some level of defence up around them. But I do like beimg with them too and I do lust or become infatuated with certain guys so I can't deny that either. And I like the idea of being so close to a guy that you can just be you aroumd them, and I have had that intimacy with some guys, I just didn't find them attractive. Am I so picky for wanting that with a guy I find attractive?

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not sure what fluid sexuality means anymore at one time i thought it was people open to 3somes or girls that make out with random chicks at a bar but now I'm not sure

14. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel the same about the cuddling a girl, and I feel the same about guys. I always feel defensive around them, I find some guys attractive but it would take a lot for me to go far with a guy. If I was still attracted to women I would say I would find it way easier to get physical, but I can't with guys. It's not that there's no sexual attraction, I think I would just feel way too vulnerable and I can't stand feeling that way around men. It's complicated, a short while ago this guy was flirting with me and I thought I liked him, until I saw him again and he flirted with me again, and there was this freakout voice inside my head like "You're a lesbian, stop!". And that was weird because it's been nearly a year since I started thinking I'm straight again. It's so complicated, I feel like my confusion is going to isolate me for the rest of my life :confused:

15. marie11

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As far as I know, fluidity is the idea of someone's sexuality changing throughout life.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks Marie :slight_smile: didn't know some people's sexuality over time