1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight" girl in love with lesbian friend

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by luna61, Nov 13, 2013.

1. luna61

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've always considered myself to be straight until I met a friend of mine a couple of years ago. We are quite close and we have a lot in common and I've had an ongoing crush on her since I met her, but it wasn't something I really thought about. Over the last few months though, I think I'm beginning to develop a bit more than a crush. I think about her almost all the time and imagine use being together (romantically and sexually). I even got a little jealous when she had a girlfriend (they broke up though) and when she talks about getting laid lol. How do you think I should hint to her that I like her without straight up telling her? And how the hell am I supposed to know if she is attracted to me? Sometimes she makes passing comments that sound like flirting, but I'm not sure if she's just joking. She also stares at me sometimes, but maybe she's just looking into space :shrug::shrug:
    Do you have any advice? And do you think I might be bisexual or bicurious or is it just because I'm young (17)?

2. English Frenchman

Well, if you want to get anywhere with you friend, it would be of the utmost importance she knows that you are either lesbian or at the very least bisexual. You can hardly expect to get anywhere with her whilst she’s under the impression you only like men.
    “Coming out” might not be the best thing because if she does like you, she will suspect you did it expressly to go out with her. Which might ruin the friendship.
    I would suggest engage yourself in a lesbian lifestyle. That is say, invite her to go out with (as friends) to a lesbian friendly place or to lesbian events. This will indicate that at the very least you’re curious.
    Out of curiosity, was there anything that suddenly set off your crush for her or did it naturally develop on its own? It would be a slight indication as to wether you are lesbian or just want to experiment.
    If you want her to know you’re into her, after establishing in some way your sexual preference, then you just have to do the same as you would with a guy. Flirt with her, compliment her, etc.
    To know wether or not she’s attracted to you is different. Just as you women make it hard for us men, it’s the same thing for lesbians. You have to read body language, her reactions, etc.
    How does she act when you’re around her? Any differently as to how she would act if she was with other friends? These are questions to ask yourself.
    To answer the question of wether you’re just experimenting, is slightly difficult. Only you can know who you really are. It’s precisely why it’s called experimenting.

Hope I could help in some small way.

3. MyChemRomance

You remind me of someone (ahem, ahem...ME) when they were first figuring out their sexuality. How long have you been thinking about this? Have you had crushes (romantically and/or sexually) on other girls? Let me tell you a story of mine. I was helping at a camp for younger girls in a Girl Scout camp, and in the unit we were teaching, among one of the other leaders was this really cute, nice, accepting girl. The thing was that then, I identified as gay, she says she's straight but always says 'I don't know, but does that matter?' I told her about my sexuality the last day of camp, and a few months after I told her my feelings for her. She says she likes me as a friend, and we are still great friends now. The thing is, all you need to do is spill your guts. Now that may sound hard, but it's nothing once it's over. The worst thing that could happen is she'll laugh, walk away, and you'll never see her again. Best thing? She likes you back. If she's a true friend, she won't laugh and walk away. She'll accept it and move on. If she doesn't like you back, don't obsess over her. Don't. That gets really creepy. There are guys and gals out there, and you should know that one of them will be 'The One'. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. Good luck!

By the way, this is coming from a 13 year old lesbian, so yeah...

#3 MyChemRomance, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Femme

Well I'm in love with a woman that I believe is straight or potentially curious but not gay or bi. That being said I did catch this woman checking out my cleavage and well that's pretty telling. She also smiled so much at me that even I felt uncomfortable because I really just wanted to say something like if you aren't interested, please stop sending me signals that you are. So I'm sure that she would be receptive and if she isn't interested in you, she won't be disgusted. That's always my fear is that if unit on a woman, she will be disgusted because she doesn't like women. Now if a woman hits on me that I do not like, it's just like a guy hitting on you that you don't like. It's just uncomfortable but not devastating.

Tell her that she looks really cute in those shoes or that sweater and say something the next day about her hair. She will get it. Or ask how she knew that she was gay. That last one might even help you.

5. feistychihuahua

Out Status:
    Some people
    You just gave me a little bit of hope that someday my straight friend-crush may come around and find she has feelings like this for me.

From the other end: the supposed straight one in any such relationship needs to throw out some little hint. I wouldn't tell my straight friend about my feelings, unless she threw something my way that prompted it; wouldn't want to risk losing the friendship. Perhaps your friend is the same way. Do something. When I was questioning my sexuality, I always liked the occasional hair stroke/compliment. Try that if you're comfortable.

6. lovely lesbian

Hi! I have a crush on my straight friend and it's hard that is when I knew I liked women but nothing is going to happen with her

7. DrkRayne

ooh been there. Thing is we lesbians don't know. We are sure you are straight. Sometimes those "hints" get missed on our radar because we've known you so long.

My friend has/had a crush on me and the only way I noticed it was because my sister and my gf and my bro-in-law and several other friends pointed it out. But she was "straight" in my mind and every signal bounced off my head. I didnt believe them.
    That being said...the best way to handle it is to go out, be calm and just bring it up. But before that be sure that you are into her and not just, experimenting. Ask her about how she knew she was gay. Ask her if she was ever into anyone. While talking to her, flirt and be CLEAR about your intentions. She'll pick it up...eventually.
    Worse to happen, she turns you down. But if she is your BFF, as mine was, she won't drop you. I still love my BFF like a sister. We are still friends, tho she has pulled back a little, and that was her choice.
    Don't worry. She is your friend.