1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Orientation and certain hobbies?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Im Just Me, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Im Just Me

There is something I've been thinking about lately, and though I generally believe you are born with your sexual orientation, there is something i've noticed recently and wondered if anyone else has, and what their thoughts on it are? (Note: this is more obvious if you are in middle or high school, maybe college.)

I've noticed that "groups" with certain hobbies seem to have more homosexuals in them. The most obvious one, I think, would be anime. Middle school through college, even with the people constantly changing, MOST of the people who were LGBT in the school were very into anime/manga. Not only were a lot of the people into the LGBT, but I noticed I knew VERY few LGBT people who were NOT into anime/manga. (Obviously they exist, tons of them do. But or whatever reason, it seems to be a common thing in the anime/manga loving community.)

I had a lot of thoughts on this.
    Is there something about certain hobbies that can make you more likely to prefer the same sex?
    Is there something about certain hobbies that draws people who are LGBT, even if they themselves are still unaware of it?
    Are there maybe more people in the world who are actually born LGBT, but deny it most/all of their life because they want to fit in, while anime/manga fans are generally already considered different, so they are just able to openly express their feelings?

Or is this just some strange coincidence? I've talked to many friends and strangers from other states and countries, and they've admitted that they know more LGBT people who are interested in anime/manga than people who are not, often by far.

Any thoughts on this, o opinions on why this may be? Just something that has gotten me curious.

2. momart

Hmmnn I have noticed them in drama groups too abd in art. I go to art college and 90% of the especially male attendees are gay and I've mey more gay women there in concentration than in my life. But everyone dresses overly flamboyantly in art college too...so it could be that we all look very gay too....

3. Im Just Me

Yeah, drama and in general the arts is another one. What's interesting, is with the arts, it is mostly homosexual males, while with anime/manga, it's usually mostly homosexual females. Though both groups have both, of course, and most in "one place" than you really see anywhere else.
    Wonder what the reason is.

4. fortheloveoflez

I'm neither into anime nor drama.
    I will say though that it's possible that lgbt people flock towards more "misunderstood" groups of society or at least more tolerant seeming atmospheres to feel a better sense of community. So chances are they flock to the arts because I think in general artistic people tend to be open minded and not as conformist as other groups.

5. PookaciousOne

I do feel coming out as bisexual had a lot to do with joining a gym.Something I have always wanted to do. Could be that I want guys to think I have a cute butt

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not interested in anime. I'm interested in music, fashion and the arts. I seem to be more like a gay man.