1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant shake the thought im going to go to hell for being gay

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mikey34, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mikey34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my issues i have is the fact that i think im going to hell for my sexual orientation. Im just recently accepting myself as a gay man. However one of the pervasive worries is going to hell. Im catholic and was raised being gay is wrong . However i happen to be a gay guy and i have to learn to accept myself. Has anybody gone through this issue and how do i get rid of it

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the current pope is supposed to have said this to a guy who asked the same question:

“Your homosexuality. It doesn’t matter. One way or another , we are all children of God. This is why we must continue to be good," the Pope told him.

So does that help at all?

3. mikey34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea that is pretty much the icing on the cake. Where did you hear that.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would God make you that way and then condemn you to hell for something He did? Personally I feel the bible has just been taken out of context and many of those things in it that people use against homosexuals were meant for an earlier time when the population was just starting up.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what happens to us all and the result of years of 'programming' by our society, church and family.

Some can adapt and adjust easier than others in turning the 'oil tanker' in a slightly different direction. Maybe some positive counselling would help you if your oil tanker is not taking instructions...

7. DesertTortoise

Keep in mind that it's a thougt. Can you have a thought that will transport you to another continent? Can your thought put food on your table?

No more than your thought... your residual belief.. can send you to hell.. or any other imaginary place. Or real.

We are so fucked up in our heads. In the stuff we're taught. In the stuff we believe. Live in the reality of the body. In the reality of the love of those who love you. What's in our head kills us. What we can live together, can save us. Hugs!

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm Catholic too and was also raised on this notion that people who are gay will be sent to Hell. The thing is, and I used this in the confrontation with my parents, is that we're all made in His image and He makes everything for a reason. So thus, why would He have made someone born that way only to be told their entire life that they are going to Hell?

9. flatlander48

If what you say is true, then realize that we are ALL in good company...

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically being Gay is not the sin but acting on it is the sin. I do not believe this because most people quote the Old Testament and the few mentions in certain translations of the New Testament in the letters from Paul. Jesus never said anything about being gay or any part of the GSM spectrum. He spent more time talking about the positiveness of love of negativity of hypocrisy.

Just know that God loves you no matter what and nothing can separate you from his love.

11. Sitri

For me, I actually read the Bible. The old testament has some weird stuff that most sane people would ignore. Sure it says homosexuality is an abomination, but it also says the same thing abouts mules. Both of those "laws" are in the same part of the Bible so if you believe being gay is a sin you must also believe in the inherit evil present in mules, pork products, and clothing made of mixed fabrics. Then of course there's Saint Anselm, who, while operating as the Archbishop of Canterbury, prevented the council of London from passing a law making homosexuality punishable by imprisonment. Also he wrote VERY friendly letters to male friends of his, so if a saint can be gay, you probably can without much fear.

12. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

We are all going to hell for one reason or another, including straight people.

13. AKTodd

There are a number of Christian denominations and organizations that are much more supportive of gay people. Not sure if any of them fall under Catholic doctrine, although the Episcopalians (who I've heard described - by themselves and others - as 'Catholic lite') tend to be welcoming. The Unitarian Univeralists also have a reputation of being very gay supportive.

I realize that changing your religion is not as simple as changing your brand of coffee. But it might help you to talk to someone from one of these or a similar organization and get some alternative viewpoints beyond the Catholic one on this issue.

On a related note, this page might give you some useful starting points:

LGBT-affirming Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps,

Todd

14. Tyrael

I can't help but feel that this whole problem stems from the belief that there IS a hell to go to. I don't believe in god, heaven or hell. You have nothing to fear. However I realise you were brought up to believe all of that and of course I don't judge you for that. However, as I've seen before and in the posts above, you can be assured that what you are taught from the Bible isn't 100% accurate even to those who are Christian. The Bible itself is contradictory (again I don't believe any of it) and you are safe in the knowledge that many things in it make no sense and that there is nothing in it to say you'll go to hell for being gay.

15. BladeValant546

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    As a former christian, I find this saddening. The very thought someone is punished for the way they are genetically born. With that said I say this, not to try to persuade you one religion/faith to another. But if this religion is causing you this much pain, why are you still following it? Have you examined the reason why you believe?

16. Skov

This site has a lot of information about specific bible verses and homosexuality. It's a lot of reading, but you may want to check it out. 1. VERSES |

17. Gaymerdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised Catholic myself, and went through the same thing that you're going through. There are lot of things in the Bible that are wrong that people ignore. Technically, playing Gridiron Football is a sin. Nobody seems to care, so why does being gay matter so much?

18. DesertTortoise

It' a 'belief." there is nothing to support it, by reason or evidence. You believe it because you want to or need to, for some psychological reasons.

Give it up! Like quiting smoking, only different methods required.

An adiction that makes you miserable. Why cling to it?

19. palimpsest

I was raised Lutheran, became a pastor and just came out. I understand the tension. No, I don't think you are going to hell for being gay, but I lived in the closet for nearly 25 years in part because I could not reconcile my faith with myself. Now I am trying to figure out if I make a complete career shift or become an openly gay pastor. Decisions I didn't think, or at least avoided, making.

I can not think of anything that anyone could say that God would reject us for on the simple grounds that we've said it. I can not think of anything that anyone could do that would make Him flinch. These are our perceptions of people, specifically in church, and how they react to all aspects of life. For me, it began many years back in my own sermons (that seemed to have been preached at myself without realizing what I was doing) that God does not abandon. He finds, holds and loves unconditionally. I am a dad. My children could not do much that would shake my love, probably nothing to destroy it. God has none of my limitations.

I think for those of us who hold onto our faith strongly, it is hard at times to distinguish the differing stages and fields of faith and orientation. It begins by this, today, there is nothing you can say that will drive God away. It is not possible, save perhaps, telling Him to take a hike, and even then I'd be surprised if He listened. As you come to accept yourself, this is the stage you are at. This is who you are. Don't worry yet about where you will go from here and how you will reconcile all of the "could be's" or "what if's" of a life you have not yet lived. I did that too, stupid mistake. First deal with this, you are who you are and you think that includes being gay. Trust me, this is not news to God. So, talk to Him, He's still hanging around. Talk it out. Shout out on my wall if I can help out in any way talking about your faith.

20. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Honestly, I was raised in a Congregationalist, socially liberal family. My parent's have always reiterated that they would want me to feel comfortable coming out. My minister always quoted Matthew 19 as a "born this way" argument since the Latin eunuchus did have homoerotic connotations during the Roman occupation of Jerusalem. That being said, I still worry about it—couldn't tell you why. I mean, King David is at least homosocial, but all the fire and brimstone of other people's religions have gotten in the back of my head. Honestly, when being queer is already a kind of struggle even in an accepting community, I don't know why I should go to Hell when there's a stark difference between sexual deviants/criminals and alternative sexualities. For me, when I really think about it, it's more that homosexual acts have traditionally been associated with hedonism (and let's be honest, Oscar Wilde didn't do us any favors). But then, I rationalize it and say that if I ever do come out and the person I commit myself to is a man (I'm bi), I plan on getting married, paying my taxes, being a productive businessman, giving to charity, being open to people of other backgrounds/identities, maintaining a lifelong education, and raising (a) child(ren) in a safe, loving environment—and then, I have to ask myself, how is that any different from what my parents have done besides the fact that my sex is not strictly reproductive? If that's not good enough, then I don't want to force myself through Hell on Earth get into the heavenly country club. That's truly Medieval, and I'm no Pardoner.