1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to fend people off when referring to my orientation :(

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by XingSarangBi, Nov 29, 2013.

1. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

No one ever really mentions orientation where I come from...this is only brought up IF lgbt rights are being discussed...which is rare. So I was quite safe for some time but today, I've at least been asked three times(not directly but still) and I kept saying things like 'How can you expect me to know when I haven't been with anyone? I don't assume I'm hetero like everyone else.' and those people kept saying @Don't fool yourself...not even biologically compatible...are you even christian?' and so on and so forth...*feeling down* :frowning2: Do I just lie and say I'm hetero? but it feels so wrong to lie about myself...:frowning2:

2. EscapeArtist

No, don't lie. Suppression will only cause you more pain. I recommend doing what you have to to arrive at a place of peace with yourself. This will encourage a confidence that in unwavering when people make the mistake of letting ignorant hatred fall from their mouth. Brace yourself, the journey is more difficult for some than others. Best wishes!

3. Hexagon

I don't know what the situation of queer rights is in ethiopia, but if you aren't ready to come out, or think you'd be in danger to do so, then lie. Yes, it feels wrong, but dodging questions when your intent is to mislead them is just the same thing. Just not nearly as effective. You know what your sexuality is (kinda), and lying about it won't make you forget it.

4. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

Thanks for the advice...but you were 15 once, people around that age are...if any other thing...cruel :tears:

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2013 at 08:55 AM ----------

It is not punishable by death or anything of the sort...but we have a tough community. I'm given a million stares just for wearing all black-lots of metal and if anyone heard the metal songs I hear.... and something like this would just be...unacceptable...:tears: so yeah...guess I'll have to lie...even though I almost never do on such serious matter.

5. Hexagon

(*hug*) I'm not saying you have to enjoy it. But honesty for the sake of it can just put you in danger - emotional if not physical.

6. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

Quite true...:icon_sad:

7. Hexagon

I just hope you can find yourself in a situation one day where you can be honest about your sexuality.

8. SweetNShySam

SweetNShySam Guest

Trust me you're not alone with this. I went through this too and I often lied to other people about my sexuality. Later on I felt horrible for lying cause I knew deep down how I felt; I was trying to cover it up cause I felt ashamed about it.