1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sick of being called a dyke

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RoyalRed, Dec 2, 2013.

1. RoyalRed

RoyalRed Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    First i have trouble as it is explaining my true label to anyone its why i never do but my point is im fine with being called things i just dont like the assumptions that tend to happen repetitively and ive been called a dyke so many times from so many people its starting to irate me im losing confidence and im struggling as it is and people assumptions dont help. I have short hair and with that comes the problem of being called a dyke i dont know why but for some dumb reason it happens. I just wanna be known as a person not a dyke -.- I guess i dont got a clue how to handle this what should i say? i know nothing helps, Or what should i do to fix it? i just wanna be myself but if i new how to make them shut it i would. advice anyone? :bang::bang::bang:

2. savannah99

I understand you. I feel uncomfortable using that word even though a lot of people choose it to describe themselves, simply because it's often used in a derogatory way.

I guess if people use that word to describe you, you could let them know it makes you uncomfortable by responding something like, "Actually I don't identify as a dyke, because _______________."

3. RoyalRed

RoyalRed Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is they use it in more a insulting way

4. sammy1

Tell them to go Fuck theirself...with a smile (if they are using it in a way to insult you) :slight_smile:

5. lovely lesbian

I hate that word! It's horrible just my opinion but I really don't like it as a gay women I feel offended by that word i don't know about any about else but that is just me tell them to shut the hell up! X

6. abandonedsocks

Unfortunately, it happens with short haircuts. That does NOT make it right. In school, I knew a girl who was a lesbian (a very cute one, too) and she happened to have short hair. In her own rebellion of being called a dyke CONSTANTLY, she took the white belt she always wore and wrote 'DYKE" really big right where everyone would see it. Not that I'm saying you should do this, what I'm saying is that she called people out on it. She didn't let them get away with it.

There are a few ways you can handle it. You can just say, "That's a vulgar word.", "I don't identify as that." etc, or you can take the more... confrontational? approach of calling people out on it. Either way is fine, but just remember that people just like to say things. That doesn't mean you need to listen to them, and you should be able to rock a haircut you want without getting shit for it, REGARDLESS of sexual orientation.

7. sammy1

Yah, I agree I've never heard anyone say it in a positive way, so IMO it's only used to hurt someone's feelings so therefore I don't like the word either...my bro called me that once :dry:

8. poison53sumac

Tell them "takes one to know one," if it's a girl; if it's a guy say he's just pissed he can't get with you.
    Honestly, that's just what I'd like to say. Personally I likely wouldn't have the guts.

9. Lipstick Leuger

Just look at them and say "well arn't you the brightest crayon in the box?" smile and walk off. They use it because they are ignorant, if you wanted to identify that way, fine, but you don't currently, so you need to point out their ignorance. That is what it is, ignorance on their part.

I am a short haired Femme, who at times get accused of being 'the man' or a Dyke. I look at them and batt my eyelashes and say something like "you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, bless your heart".

10. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

i think people always will call others things, lesbians are called thos kind of names, gays as well too, and even everyone else, they always will think on some name to offend someone, not everyone does but a great portion of society, better to ignore them, really is hard but not worthy of getting to lose confidence cause of closed minds right

11. RoyalRed

RoyalRed Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    That girl sounds like the best type to hang with not letting anyone get away with it.
    But ^.^; i guess i would tell people to leave me alone its just not as easy as it seems sometimes lol.

12. hiddenxrainbows

I know how you feel, and I'm sorry people do that to you. I remember at shortly after I started my old job, I chopped off all my hair to get a mohawk. I don't think anyone said anything about me before that, but after I got it, people called me a dyke behind my back and there was a rumor that I was gay. One coworker even said something like "I knew you liked girls!" Which is really stupid and childish. I think someone even picked on me one time when I was talking about my boyfriend at the time, saying that they knew my boyfriend wasn't real, I was just making him up. But after a while, I actually got him a job there, so I'm sure everyone that assumed I was a "dyke" learned something about assuming.

I mean, I do like girls too, but I'm not just a lesbian. I like everyone, not just girls. So I hate it when people make assumptions. Especially when it's about a girl that doesn't fit into the gender roles that society thinks she should and when they are so offensive about it as well.

I'm sorry though. The only thing I can say is either try to ignore them, or try to come up with some way to tell them to shut up with that offensive and distasteful language.

13. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a part of the group 'dykes in the city' so I got immersed in the word and I heart it now

14. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I find it offensive because it's almost always used in a negative way by people who aren't lesbians. I think you should come up with some kind of snappy comeback that will hopefully get them to think about the words they choose in the future instead of just using terms that may offend.

15. tulips2198

tulips2198 Guest

Just try to be more feminine or better yet... stand up to them. Tell them that's it not cool and it really hurts to be called names. I know it sounds cleche but it might help. Do it in front of alot of people to show them that your strong and not some trash to be picked at. Your a human being that has feelings

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate that word so much my dad calls lesbians dykes and thinks it's funny , I think if he knew I was a lesbian he wouldn't think it was funny anymore :tantrum: