1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sysreq, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sysreq

Apparently you need to date someone of your gender to know you're gay.
    Which means you need to date someone of your gender to know you're not gay.
    I know it isn't true but arrrrggghhh

But I feel fake, unwelcome, in the LGBT community because I haven't dated a guy.
    Yet I know I AM gay, it's just the world says otherwise.
    brb sig idea

2. Silver Sparrow

I hate when people say this. I've never been in any relationship, and people who are straight don't need to be in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender. I know who I am. I had to fight to figure out who I am. I don't need to fight you (societal you).

3. Heun

I get that too because I've never really been in any relationship with any gender, aside from one (very recent) spat of sexual encounters with a guy, but I've never actually dated anyone.

Even so, I'm totally sold on the idea that I'm gay (probably), but often wonder if others won't agree or get it since I haven't dated anyone. But I don't think you should feel unwelcome in the LGBT community, I think especially there you'll find most people will understand.

4. Zeevie

I totally get what you mean.

I've haven't yet been in a relationship with a girl and I've only been in one very-short-term relationship with a guy (that I'm thankfully still friends with) and when I broke it off because I knew I wasn't being true to myself and came out a while later, people insisted that he just wasn't "the right guy". I couldn't possibly be gay because I hadn't dated "enough" and didn't have "enough experience" to know that "I'm 100% gay". I got this response from both gay and straight people.

I mean, really? I don't understand how people feel like they've the right to tell anyone what they need to do before they truly *know* themselves. Who knows you better than yourself when it comes down to it? Nobody.

5. abandonedsocks

Think about it this way, do you HAVE to try soccer to know you wouldn't like it? No. If you don't like running, sports in general, or teams... probably won't like soccer! Just like you can infer from what you like physically and emotionally that you don't like girls. You don't need 'proof'. And don't think you need to date someone just to say you did, because if you end up dating someone you don't even like, that would just be unhealthy for you and unhealthy relationships cause more problems than they solve. You are not fake.

6. Skov

Preach!

It's like, I have thought about my sexuality literally for years: I know what I am. I don't need to date someone to prove it to myself.

7. savannah99

I am so with you. I feel invalidated as a lesbian for not having truly dated a girl yet, and I hate feeling that way. I think people need to stop policing other people's thoughts and feelings. If someone says they are gay, they should be allowed to be gay without going through the third degree.

8. valkyrieofgodod

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    fake ... I get used to this word already . Basically , in my country ( Vietnam ) if you say you're gay/les/bisexual to someone , they will look at you and say :" Have you ever dated anyone your opposite sex ? How do you know u r what you say ? " Then if you say you did but it didnt feel right to you then they will say : " you might not find Mr/ Miss Right yet . You gotta keep dating until you find the right one " (wtf !! ) . Then if you say you already find someone you really love they will say "omg , it's not love , you just misunderstand it for love . Have you spent a lot time with gay people ? OMG , they might turn you gay already . Poor you" .
    So , in short , I don't give a damn about what people think . If you feel like you are gay/les/bi , then no one can say anything about it . ^^

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who say this are extremely dumb, thoughtless and moronic. I suggest you say this to their faces and then ignore their stupidity and get on with your life. End of. Good luck.