1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuals and Romantics

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by catboy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. catboy

I have noticed these terms more frequently and need some help. Here goes:
    1. Demisexual
    2. Asexual (I think I know this one)
    3. Pansexual (Pretty sure I know it)
    4. all of the [blank]-romantics. What do these mean?

2. savannah99

Demisexual means that you cant find anyone sexually attractive unless you have a strong emotional bond with them. For some that may mean love and for others it may just mean any kind of strong connection.

Asexual means that you can be romantically attracted to people, but not sexually.

Pansexual means that you can be attracted in any way to anyone regardless of their gender or gender identity.

Those definitely aren't straight from the dictionary so I apologize if something is a bit off, but that's my understanding. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure exactly what the [blank] romantics are.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    The [blank] romantics are people who like to be more precise. A homoromantic asexual would be sexually attracted to no one and romantically attracted to the same sex. A heteroromantic bisexual would be sexually attracted to both genders and sexually and romantically attracted to the opposite gender.

4. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In any case .... Sure would be something to know ... Exactly where a guy stands in all of this .... I'm clearly attracted to some guys and women as well .... But can't see myself in a relationship with a guy .... Maybe I'm just scared people would see me as gay? Still not sure why that's considered a bad word ..... Not even sure why we need labels ...

5. catboy

I was pretty sure I understood Asexual and Pansexual. The romantic thing is new though. I agree with unavailable though all of these extra labels are confusing. I don't know why we need them exactly.

6. jargon

I like to think of it like this:

Imagine the English language only had a few words for colors - say "black" & "white" and the three primary colors. Some things would be pretty easy to describe, but others would be nearly impossible. Think how complicated it would be to describe, say, neon green to someone. You could give a long explanation about how its closer to white than black, and its got a lot of yellow in it but also some blue, and so on. Or you could just call it "yellow-ish" and be happy with that.

Then imagine someone introduces a whole other list of terms for colors - all the other words we actually use. Even though it would make it way easier to describe colors, people who grew up using only those five words might ask "Do I really have to learn all these new words? Its so much more complicated. 'Yellow-ish' has always been close enough."

I think some day, if sex loses its stigma, we'll have as many names for sexual orientations as we do for colors. It'll be something people learn from childhood, and it won't seem "complicated" at all.

P.S., sorry for the rant; I didn't mean for that to sound critical, and I know it is confusing when its all new to you. Mostly I just liked that comparison and probably had a little too much fun with it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. just to expand on this - for pan-sexual they acknowledge gender identity is a spectrum not just binary

because Bisexuals are attracted regardless of gender but the way I always understood it only worked on a binary spectrum

8. catboy

It wasn't a rant it really helped me understand it better. Thanks so much.

9. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

i now know what demisexual means, if anyone played final fantasy games, i though it meant half sexual xD but is good to learn new things

10. ShyCat

I prefer to use the term heteroromantic to heterosexual because the thought of being with either gender turns me on sexually. However, ever since reaching puberty, I've had some pretty intense romantic feelings for quite a few guys. I've never had comparable emotions when I've thought of being with a girl. So the term heteroromantic just seems to fit better.

11. RainbowVomiter

Nope. Many bisexuals define their sexuality as attraction to all genders. Pansexual is just a more specific way of mentioning that, since bisexual can also mean attraction to multiple but not all genders.

12. savannah99

Ahaha yeah, somehow these terms often get distorted in media. It's good to get things figured out.