1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To pansexuals: how do you define pansexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by thisisawug, Dec 9, 2013.

1. thisisawug

So at the moment I'm not labelling myself but at the same time I'm still curious about which labels might apply to me in the future, and I think labels can sometimes be helpful when coming out. Obviously I could just google this stuff but I thought it might be better to hear it from real people who actually use these labels...

So, to all those who identify as pansexual, do you feel pansexuality means that you are attracted to all people regardless of gender, or can it mean being attracted to people of different genders for different reasons? As in, if you look for different personality traits in different genders, would you still consider that to be pansexual? Also, do you think pansexuality implies that you are attracted to someone purely on their personality and not on their appearance?

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm just curious as to whether pansexual would work for me as a label...

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. wildcat

Hi I am trying to figure out my sexuality too but being pansexual means you like every body male,female,and trans in my personal words being pansexual means you don't love somebody for how they look you love them for their personality.simplified you can :***: who ever you want.

3. The way I see it, pansexuality is just about attractions outside the binary. It doesn't mean that you don't find gender related traits unattractive, heck I even find gender binary breaking to be quite attractive.

4. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I would, I think a pansexual can be flexible in terms of what they like just as bisexual can be. One bisexual may like a girl for their personality and boobs while not like the vagina and like guys for the penis or whatever while another bisexual simply likes both for their personality and guy or girl doesnt matter. Same theory with pansexuals.

Again, I don't think it's black and white, and thus the term can be flexible.

For myself, I describe it simply as being attracted to someone regardless of their gender.
    Because I am also somewhat asexual I may be a bit different.
    I am not attracted to the body as I am attracted to the persons personality.
    I guess I just adapt to the body.
    Though I do like hip bones, but all genders can have hip bones. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. hiddenxrainbows

This is just my opinion, but I basically agree with NordicTrickster. I think the reason, or at least one of the reasons, that the word "pansexual" came into being is because of the non-binary. When someone says that they're bi, most of the population merely thinks "Oh, they like guys and girls!" They don't think anything about any of the people who could identify as something else other than male or female. But if you say you're pan, suddenly, you're more knowledgeable about gender matters and you're attracted to men, women, AND everyone in between/outside the binary. Of course, it's just my opinion, but I think part of the reason that some people say they're pan is to try to make sure that people know that they find people outside of the binary attractive as well.

Not that I'm talking down on any of them. Because I like the pansexual orientation, and I consider myself pan. Though now, it doesn't seem as important as which one people think of me as, pan or bi. They are similar, and I just don't care much anymore.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favourite explanation was;

"Pansexuality is the ability to put your hands down your partners pants and be happy with whatever you find: EVER an alligator!"

Just to, you know, put the point across that if you find the unexpected as far as genitals are concerned, it doesn't worry you :slight_smile:

7. sweetiepi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    attraction to pans.

8. is this supposed to be sarcasm? or are you invalidating peoples orientation?

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's traditionally known as a joke.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When i first heard of pansexuaity i did think that at first I remember asking that on the internet and some pansexuals were kind enough to explain that they were not attracted to pans

11. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think of it as "i don't want to date girls, guys, trans, or any other group. I just want to date *people*."
    I found a good quote about it:
    Bi-sexual is being attracted to BOTH genders, while pan-sexual is simply accepting that when you fall in love with someone, you will love them for them, and not care what the gender of that person may be.

12. Hexagon

Gender is irrelevant to my sexual attraction. Or: I am attracted to people of all genders.

I never thought it could have anything to do with pans. But maybe thats because I was aware of the significance of the prefix 'pan' meaning all.

13. thisisawug

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:
    It's really helpful to hear from people who actually identify as pansexual. I'm definitely considering it as a label now...

14. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I am ashamed to admit that when I first got on this site, I saw the word pansexual and wondered if there was an orientation dedicated to pans :confused:.

Pansexual is seeing someone's heart instead of what's between their legs.