1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some other terms for queer?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Dec 11, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as queer right now. I don't really like the sound of that word. I want to call myself a lesbian, but I want to be 100% sure. Unfortunately I am not. I have identified as bisexual before, but that label felt wrong. Is there any other terms that mean the same thing as queer? I don't want to say I'm questioning because I already know that I'm not straight.

2. ItsChris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure if this helps, but i found some labels. Some i'm sure you know:

Asexual: I don’t experience sexual attraction. The way you feel about people you’re not sexually attracted to? That’s the way I feel about everyone.

Demisexual: When I get to know someone really well and like them a lot, I can start to feel sexually attracted to them, but otherwise I don’t experience sexual attraction.

Gray-asexual: I’m kind of asexual, but kind of not. Black and white thinking sucks anyway.

Homosexual/Gay: I’m sexually attracted to people whose gender is the same as mine.

Heterosexual/Straight: I’m sexually attracted to people of one gender that’s different
    from mine.

Bisexual: I’m sexually attracted to two genders, or two groups of genders. Sometimes one more than the other. Bi = two.

Polysexual/Multisexual: I’m sexually attracted to many genders, but not necessarily all of them.

Pansexual: Gender doesn’t factor into my sexual attraction, so people of all genders are eligible. Pan = all.

Omnisexual: I’m sexually attracted to anyone/anything that can consent. Omni = all.

Queer: My sexual orientation is unusual, and that’s all I need to say about that.

Nonlibidoist: I don’t have a sex drive, and that’s all right. Libido = sex drive.

Hyposexual: I have a low sex drive, and that’s all right. Hypo = below.

Hypersexual: I have a high sex drive, and that’s all right. Hyper = above.

Sexually abstinent: I choose not to have sex. This may be for religious reasons, medical reasons, safety reasons (STIs and unwanted pregnancies suck), or because I just don’t want to have sex, okay? (Many people use the term celibate instead, though the literal definition of celibacy is the choice to be unmarried. These two things get combined because certain people think that you should only have sex when you’re married.)

Selfsexual/Autosexual: I’m not interested in having sex with other people, but I do like to have sex with myself (i.e. masturbation).

Aromantic: I don’t experience romantic attraction. I may not even know what it is. Let’s be friends!

Demiromantic: You might lock eyes with someone across the room and immediately want to be with them, but I need to know someone really well before I feel romantic attraction.

Gray-aromantic: I’m kind of aromantic, kind of romantic. Black and white thinking is for squares.

Homoromantic/Gay: I’m romantically attracted to people whose gender is the same as mine.

Heteroromantic/Straight: I’m romantically attracted to people of one gender that’s different from mine.

Biromantic: I’m romantically attracted to two genders, or two groups of genders. Sometimes one more than the other.

Polyromantic/Multiromantic: I’m romantically attracted to many genders, but not necessarily all of them.

Panromantic: Gender doesn’t factor into my romantic attraction, so people of all genders are eligible.

Omniromantic: I’m romantically attracted to anyone/anything that can consent.

3. Ibz

Ibz

I feel similarly. I personally really like the word "queer" but I feel weird using it around non-queers because of all of the different connotations it has had. And "bisexual" also feels wrong to me, even though I have like dudes in the past (I think? idk...). I don't really identify with the word "lesbian" for complicated reasons that I'm not totally sure of. So I've taken to calling myself "gay," even though that's kind of the wrong word for my gender. I just like that word better to describe myself, and I'm hoping that people will be flexible if it turns out I do like boys too in the future.

Yeah, so, sorry, I guess I don't really have any good suggestions for you. Lemme know if you find anything. :slight_smile: