1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you find out that your really not gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by paranoidkid, Dec 25, 2013.

1. paranoidkid

Okay this is meaning like, if you thought you were gay for awhile, then all of a sudden you have an encounter with a guy and you realize you don't like it and don't want that and u only want girls. Is that possible? And say it went like this, thought you were straight whole life, then worried and thought u were gay, started accepting it, then encountered with a guy and didn't like it or want it again. Is this possible?

And NO this did not happen to me. I'm just asking a general question. Don't ask why I came up with this, I don't know why I'm just wondering lol.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's alright if you are gay. If you don't like this guy you don't like this guy. So, it's all good.

And you're gay if you're gay. You're not gay if you're not. Don't worry too much about it.

3. StephenSC

If you mean is it possible to think your gay and then try (for the first time (importantly)) to be in an intimate/romantic relationship with a guy and realise you are not, then yes, I believe that's possible. I think it's unlikely to happen however if you've felt a strong attraction, physical and emotional to the person, have taken time to get to know them and given thought to your own sexuality (considered to validity/strength of your feelings, ect).

If it does happen, it's possible there is another cause. Some type of shame, denial, intimacy thing or another complicated issues arising subconsciously. In the chance however that you realise that guys aren't your thing, you could put that down to a "curious phase" or something, which there is no harm in. (Provided that everything is done smartly and safely)

As Kasey said in the above post though. If you are you are, if your not your not.

4. GreyFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think sexuality is fluid and that labels just confuse things. If you like someone you like them, if you don't, you don't. It should be that easy!

If we lived in a world without labels, i doubt anyone would worry about stuff like this.
    Good question though!

5. MightNeedThis

I'm with grey fox. Sexuality is fluid and don't stress too much over it.

My sister knew one girl who, for the better part of her life, identified as a lesbian, and probably like a 5 or 6 on the kinsey scale. However, later on she ended up marrying a man and has been living happily ever after.

Things just kind of happen, don't worry about labels. Just be happy :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the research literature doesn't support the idea that sexual orientation is fluid (meaning, that it changes over time.) However, Kinsey's study (as flawed as it was) did show that there were a lot of people whose sexual orientation wasn't solidly in one camp or another, but on a spectrum.

In general, if someone is attracted mostly or exclusively to people of one sex, that is pretty much a lifetime attribute.

In the case of people who are gay or lesbian, it can in some cases take a while to manifest not because sexual orientation is actually fluid, but because some people tend to strongly repress their natural sexual orientation due to societal factors and shame issues. But you almost never see the reverse, except in cases where, for example, someone comes out, is fully out, and then is essentially shamed back into the closet by parents or those around him or her. And in those cases, the sexual orientation itself hasn't changed, just the person's self-acceptance.

Hope that helps.

7. you could but it depnds on everything lol. you could have a fling witha random guy and not like it because it was a fling, you could have a one nighter with a guy and not like it because he wasnt very attractive to you, you could have a relationship with a guy then not like becuase you realised you werent in love with him e.t.c.

you can, just like anyone can think they are straight then realise they are actually not.
    :slight_smile:

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't people refer to that as being curious? Yes sometimes people try things out and decide they aren't gay. I met one guy who wanted to experiment he said he wanted to try training bjs. We started off sitting and talking then started rubbing on each other. I stood up to remove my pants and I was intending to sit back down, but he had a coffee table and it kept me close. The instant he had a cock staring him in the face from like a foot and a half away shit instantly got real to him and he turned white as a sheet. Needless to say that was game over.

The point is he was curious but in the end decided that he wasn't gay. So yes it's possible.

9. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's rare but it can happen. I read a paper online about it and some of the women who were involved took back their labels as lesbian, but that was a tiny number and I think all of the ones who did that opted not to label themselves.

This time two years ago I was a Kinsey 5 or 6 and now I'm maybe a Kinsey 1. I don't know if I'm straight or bisexual, if that was all a phase or a realization. But it happened and my feelings were valid. So if I end up not liking women ever again I can logically say that I used to be gay.
    So yeah it's possible.