1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'I think we're all a bit gay'

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by pane123, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What do people think of this saying? Do you agree with it? Or do you not agree with it?

Some say that it's something that gay people concoct when they can't fathom why some people are straight? And some say that we're all born bi?

But what's your opinion?

Leave the comments below.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a difficult question.

I used to see it black and white, gay and straight. I'd say some people are possibly entirely straight and vice versa but a lot of people are probably bi to at least some degree and won't admit it.

3. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, probably. I mean, heterosexuality is probably by and large still the most common sexuality and it's likely some people are 100% heterosexual or 100% homosexual, but I wouldn't doubt if, on some level, the straightest or gayest people we know are somehow the opposite, no matter how much they claim they are what they are. Like me, I don't really know if I'm straight or bi or what, but at the very least, I can recognize when a guy is attractive to me and I am not absolutely mortified by a gay thought.

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I think it's incredibly simplistic to take the black and white view of sexuality, but equally I think it's just not accurate to say *everyone* is a shade of bi. It's probably true that most people (75% or more) do have a little bit of a gay side, but there are people who are plain straight or gay out there, so I don't think everyone has a bit of gay.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The word "all" thrown in there makes it lose credibility, as I don't think anything dealing with people is absolute. But could most people have same-sex attraction to some degree? Probably. I've also heard "everyone's a little bi" and while it's also a generality, there might be a glimmer of truth there.

There is a statistic thrown around that only 3-5% of the population identify as GSM, but a fair amount of the people I've gotten to know well have admitted to being gay, bi, or at least having a teensy crush on somebody of their same sex at least once. If I had to guess I'd put it at above those percentages. :slight_smile:

6. biggayguy

I think a lot of people have dabbled in the idea of being with the same sex. Due to peer/societal pressure most people choose a side. My very straight mom even admitted to being attracted to a woman in college. She said it was a phase.

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not know if I like this idea. Yea there are a lot of people who gay or bi. But what about viewing this the other way, "We are all a little bit straight". This can be viewed as a slap in the face.

I know that I am straight and that is it. I am emotionally attracted to cis-men. Sexually, that is a bit hanky being that I am demisexual, but it will be cis-males, once I get past the emotional attraction. There is nothing that is going to change that, no matter what anyone says.

I have had friends who tried to tell me otherwise, and were adamant that I was at least bi and was locking myself in the closet. I am pretty sure they still think this way, but I haven't seen them in nearly two years. This was a really tough battle, but this is not the place for it. I can create a post about it, but not here. I am sure of my sexuality, and it was very upsetting that they said that I am was lying to myself, and just need to come to my senses, and realize that I was atleast bi, if not gay, because I am a statistic (my twin sister is gay).

I know that I am not gay and thats that.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't agree because i have a lot of gay in me :icon_bigg:icon_redf I just love the ladies

9. 6star

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I just wrote a big long post that kind of pertains to this subject. It's in

Re: Only trans person that feels this way?

But I could be wrong.

10. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I disagree. It's the same as saying ''everyone is a little bit straight''. What's the reason for saying these things? There is nothing that would indicate that any of these are true. I'm sure there are lots of people who aren't even a bit gay, or a bit straight.

11. Kamina

I would definitially agree as I know many people who are straight with definitive homosexual tendancies. My brother is EXTREMELY straight and he will look at a picture of tom hiddleston and go "he's hot" and continue with his day. My other two friends get mistaken for a lesbian couple all the time because of how they act with each other but one has a long term boyfriend.

I mean if you can say you've never looked at a person of the same sex and thought that you may want to do something to them, I think you're lieing. It's like masterbation, if you say you've never done it, you're lieing.

12. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Homosexuality was invented by a straight world dealing with its own bisexuality."
    I believe this quote.

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

:lol: so much yes

13. Saint Otaku

To say so would imply "We're all a bit straight", which completely contradicts with my feelings.

That's what I hate about these statements: they're subjective, yet make an objective assertion from one perspective.

14. LadyApp

It seems to be just another way to generalize particular actions. It doesn't make any sense on how everyone has a little bit of these or that because then we can add or remove either virtues or something else.

15. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm gonna have to watch a dozen Brene Brown shame videos after saying this but isn't this a quote from the great philosopher known as "Honey Boo Boo"? :slight_smile:.

I suppose it's a clumsy/cutesy way to say "they're not so different from us", and possibly alludes to the theory that everyone has at least one "exception". Based on the size of the entire world population I suppose the only impossible part is to disprove it, although like some other posters I seriously doubt I could go "that way".

16. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I honestly can't say I have thought that.

17. Plutanan

I agree with RSwordsman. Probably not "all," but maybe quite a bit. Kinsey (same guy who made the scale) didn't like the words "heterosexual" and "homosexual" because he thought sexuality was more fluid. You can say that people might think these things in their head, but honestly it comes down to practice and not theory.

Though I don't think phrase is bad as long as it doesn't hurt our credibility. If anything, it may bolster it when people realize they can empathize with us a bit :wink:

Similarly, a friend has told me that "everyone's a little gay and I have the right amount of gay in me." XD ... I'm still in the closet so I'm not sure what he meant by that lol

18. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I believe that the statement is true: few people can own up to only ever having urges to be romantically with a single gender. Sexuality is fluid, and a spectrum. No need to assume it must be black and white in definition.

19. Foster

I think that all sexualities are legitimate. I truly believe that some people are 100% straight. I also believe that it's possible to be bisexual and have that attraction for both genders. Bisexuality is probably a very common sexuality, actually, but people are too afraid to come about because of discrimination. I also believe that some are 100% gay. No one has a right to tell someone that they are wrong about their sexuality. If we want to be accepted for our sexuality, we need to accept people with different sexualities just the same. You can't say that everyone is bisexual or that everyone is at least a tiny bit gay, when that just isn't true.

#19 Foster, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  20. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I disagree I love women sexually, physically, emotionally, Thats like saying you guys are alittle bit straight, you wouldn't like that neither do straight people. Do I agree that some people might get curious yes, But in no way do I believe that everybody is a little gay