1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my romantic orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RedSwiss, Dec 31, 2013.

1. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello, ive been fairly confident in my sexual orientation as homosexual since long long before I came out just under 3 years ago, but recently I stumbled across a term I hadn't heard of before when exploring forums like I usually do.

"Demisexual".

So like any other unknown term, I look it up, and discover its apparently an orientation that prevents someone from becoming attracted until a bond is first formed. Knowing I was homosexual, I thought nothing of it, until I realized like all other sexual orientations, it must have a romantic orientation counterpart. I was assuming up until that point I was Homosexual and Homoromantic, however after discovering this Demiromantic orientation, I feel like it describes me better, beacuse ive never, ever been able to look at someone and think "I'd marry that.", unless they were a long-term friend.

So at this point, im unsure if im Homoromantic or Demiromantic, beacuse im still strictly attracted to men both sexually and romantically, but a I require a substantial bond before any feelings can materialize. Or would even DemiHomoromantic be a thing? Who knows, this spectrum is getting so complicated now new terms are being coined.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does that even matter? I mean really, who CAN look at a person and go 'oh man I so want to have a house in the country, three kids and a dog with them!'.

It might apply to you, but be honest with yourself, does applying a term you don't fully understand or need in order to rigidly define your sexuality really do you any good?

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Demi-homoromantic is a thing. If you feel it applies to you, then go ahead and use that label. However, I would do research before-hand. I've seen a lot of people misuse the term demisexuality (even some demisexuals) in problematic ways.

Both demisexuality and demiromanticism deal with attraction rather than feelings of desire. Most people don't go around wanting to marry people they find romantically attractive, just as most people don't want to have sex with everyone they find sexually attractive. If you are normally romantically attracted to men, even if you don't romantically desire them, then demiromantic probably isn't an accurate label. On the other hand, if you rarely experience romantic attraction, then either demiromantic or the closely-related gray-romantic labels might fit.