1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between bi-sexual and bi-curious?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by confeshhhions, Jan 2, 2014.

1. confeshhhions

Can anyone explain the difference between bi-curious and bi-sexual in their own words for me? For some reason, I just can't understand it. It seems simple, but my head is all over the place.

Is bi-curious when you're just curious about interactions with the same sex, or otherwise?

Any help is much appreciated for my poor, frazzled brain!!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bi-curious - I wonder what it's like with the same sex

Bi-sexual - I totally want it with the opposite sex.

I like to think of it like the difference between reading the menu and ordering the cake. It's not a GOOD metaphor by anybodies standards but it works for the moment :slight_smile:

3. confeshhhions

Thank you! I like that metaphor actually haha, but the thought of food just makes me hungry and distracts :')

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I feel as though I'm somewhere between bi-curious and -sexual, but I'll give it a shot :slight_smile:

I think bi-curious is simply having fantasies about the same gender, not necessarily with much behind them, and not necessarily in conjunction with real-life crushes. You don't feel as though you could be in a long-term/serious relationship with the same sex, but you are curious to know what sex/intimacy with them is like or the idea of that turns you on. But you wouldn't go much/any further than what's in your head.

Bisexual is when you have all of the above, but you feel comfortable being intimate and having relationships (not just fantasies) with both sexes, and notice people from both sexes in real life as well as having an urge to be with them irl as well as your head. You might get butterflies around these people, but I think the main distinction is that bisexual is more practical/real and bi-curious is almost hypothetical in nature... for want of a better word (not sure how that comes across but it wasn't meant to be negative). So that's my take, but then again I might not be the most reliable source!

5. confeshhhions

Yeah, that sounds like what's been going through my head!! It all seems very black-and-white though, so maybe that's how I can't pinpoint what I am...