1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i differentiate the two?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by paranoidkid, Jan 4, 2014.

1. paranoidkid

Alright well I have anxiety. And anxiety and attraction/arousal all feel the same. And I'm not sure how I can differentiate between them. I'm not sure if I should wait until I'm on my medication to make a call of my sexuality or just do it now. But liek I said I can't differentiate. Is there any way I can? Does anyone know the difference or a way I can tell?

2. paranoidkid

And one more question. I'm sorry I'm always posting ik it's annoying. But it takes a Long time for me to jerk off to guys, like a really long time. But it does for girls also.i guess not as long, it's shorter. But here is the problem. I don't get aroused from guys, and when i masturbate I clench my groin area to make it go faster. Only when I think of a guy clenching can it be like more easier, and all I do is think of the guy clenching the same area I do, the groin area. And I'm not sure if it's just making it sync my mind with what I feel that can make it easier for me. But if i just Think of a guy, and even having sex with him it does not work. But then as soon as I think of some guy clenching his abdominal/groin are does it become easier for me. And it's just whoever, no specific guy. I'm not sure if this is all mental. Like making my mind think of clenching and then my groin area clenching makes me think of ejaculation and good feelings. Anyways, in my fantasies It will always change to a girl. Because even when I think of a guy clenching it still does not work all the way. And eventually I'm sitting there for some odd minutes trying to think of guys, and then I think about a girl which is easier for my mind to stay on and think about then it works. It's just weird because yesterday when I had a fantasy, I was thinking king of a guy clenching his abs and I clenched my groin area harder because of it, and it had the affect on me where it made it easier to go along. Plus I have anxiety kicking in during it like I said. But anyways I'm stumped. Like i tried thinking of the same guy I thought of yesterdat, but this time it was still a no go, it was even harder to do I had to like really really go fast and hard and eventually my hand hurt and I got tired so then I switched to a girl. I'm sorry for posting I am just so stumped.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of things...

1. Medication isn't some magic pill that will just make your head clear right up, it'll help, but it takes a hell of a lot of work to un-mix your head.
    2. I can't begin to imagine how anxiety and arousal get mixed up...at all...could you explain a little more?

---------- Post added 4th Jan 2014 at 08:11 PM ----------

If it takes a long time, doesn't work and you're not enjoying it the WHY are you doing it in the first place?

Fair enough, if you like abs, great...but why force yourself over it...

4. paranoidkid

Yes, I can explain! Well when you feel attrcated to someone you get this rush of blood and a little shortness of breath. And the same thing happens with anxiety! Maybe I'm wrong. But I was even told this. Anyways I can account for it, because when I get anxiety, it feels the same way as I would when attrcated to a girl. Like any anxiety I get. Maybe from being worried about being sick or dying. It all feels the same. And I guess not arousal, because arousal will make my thing get hard. So I know when it's arousal u could say. But attraction and anxiety feel the same to me. Maybe slight differences between both. Which sometimes I can tell, but I'm not completely sure which is why I asked on here. Or maybe when I'm attracted to a girl I get anxiety also because I get nervous, and when i get anxiety with other stuff its making me think anxiety and attraction feel the same. Okay nevermind I'm just confusing myself even more -.- ugh I hate how I do this ish -.-

And I was doing it in the first place to because I read some post from chip. So I decided to give it a try for a day or two. And I mean I guess I don't have to do it but I wanna have a clearer picture. If you tell me to think of whatever I want I'll think of girls. But how do I know that I'm not thinking about guys because I'm trying to deny it? So that's why I am doing what chip posted. I mean I don't have to do it anymore but I want a CLEARER picture. I probably won't end up doing it anyways

#4 paranoidkid, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it sounds like you're seeing an attractive girl and getting anxious about it...so it stands to reason that you would notice similarities...

As for the rest of that post, I think you may have misunderstood something of chip's meaning. When you were told to try thinking about it and see what it does for you, that was meant as a way of you seeing if you enjoyed your own fantasies about men. Which apparently, with the exception of abs, you totally don't.

Allow me to take a slightly extreme example. So let's say I get it into my head to whack my dick with a hammer. It really fucking hurts, but I thought about it so initially, so the thought MUST have come from somewhere, right? So I keep whacking myself with this hammer hating every second of it because if I stop, I could just be denying what I want to do!

Now replace every instance of 'smack dick with hammer' with 'whack off to dudes' and you've got your story. My point is, don't force it. If you were denying an attraction to men, you might feel compelled to think of them, really enjoy it and then feel shame or self loathing after it's done, but I'm thinking you would at least get some guilty pleasure out of it, where as you seem to be describing nothing but unpleasant sensations and immediate thoughts of girls!

6. paranoidkid

Ouch :0 ...... that was a just sounded like a TAD bit of pain when using the hammer...but not too much. Lol. But okay I get your point. But I'm not sure if u remember yesterday when I posted that gay fantasy thing. How I was reminded of a picture of a guy and I had that in my head while whacking off. Well I was thinking of his abs like I said, and I got this feeling of like shock. Just I don't know if it was anxiety or not because I got it like a second after I thought about it and went "what if I'm attrcated to that". So now I domt know if what I felt was anxiety or not. I just dont know what I felt. Which is why I also tried thi king of it today, and today was a no go for it, just was taking too long like I said and it was not working. So it leads me to believe I got anxious yesterday but then again idk. It's like adding to the confusion. Idk why I had to he reminded of it -.- too many problems going on with me ayeee. But see now, if I imagine a girl with nice toned abs I like that. So wth! I'm gunna bring this up to my therapist and get this sorted out. It's too much going on and I don't expect anyone here to help me because it confuses the he'll out of me and idk how anyone else could understand lmao. I'll get my therapist now guys Thankyou :slight_smile:

#6 paranoidkid, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you shouldn't be focusing on what specifically you're feeling (in this context at least). Focus on how you're feeling; so rather than thinking "what was i feeling?" think to yourself "did that feel good?". I think you already know the answer to that question with regard to straight fantasies and gay fantasies. Don't think about whether something felt wrong, right, whether it was anxiety or anything else. Start simply with whether it made you feel good.

Since you don't feel good about gay fantasies and they just aren't working for you, I would say that incidence was anxiety. If you only feel good when you have straight fantasies, I think that's very strong evidence to say you are indeed straight.

8. paranoidkid

It may have been anxiety but I'm not sure! It's just getting way more complicated the more I try to figure everything out. Is it anyway possible to have a gay fantasy and have it good? But then never have it again? If anytjing that could he the case for this, or maybe to put this worry to rest at least. But can you have a one time fantasy and like it, but then never really have the urge or want to do it again because it just was not your thing. I mean now that I think about it, i believe it was anxiety but I just don't know. This is how I obsess, I don't know stuff and I want to know so I go to great strides to figure stuff out. Aye ohh well :/

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK so let me expand a bit.

Let's suppose after a week of whacking my dick with hammer, all of a sudden I feel this weird feeling. You might call it a 'shock'. I don't really know what it was, I certainly have no reason to think I liked it, but I felt I'd better carry on just in case I DID like it and was just telling myself I didn't. So I continued hitting myself in the dick with the hammer.

Stop hitting yourself in the dick with a hammer!

10. paranoidkid

Okay I get your point, I see I do! It makes sense to me now. Thank you for that good sounding example. Sounds satisfying indeed. -.- lol

11. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I think it is possible to have fantasies that are good once or twice but do nothing for you after. Even most people's "favourite" fantasies change frequently. There are reasons why someone would have a one-time fantasy and not go back to it. A lot of the time it's just experimenting and exploring yourself, it's harmless experimentation. Plenty of people do that. Other times are when it's just "when the mood takes you" so to speak, and other times it's just a fleeting fascination with something. So yes, it's quite possible to have a one-time fantasy which you enjoyed once but don't anymore.

Yes, I think it was anxiety, but whatever it was I think you can let it slide. You strike me as having the idea of being straight as only ever thinking about girls, no guys, no exceptions to the rule. Only heterosexual fantasies all your life and nothing else. To me, that isn't the case. You can perfectly well be straight yet have the occasional gay fantasy, because being straight isn't an unchanging absolute. Straight people experiment, straight people have these thoughts too, only not on a regular basis and it's not something they feel compelled to act on. You are not instantly bi or gay just for having a gay thought once in a blue moon and not liking it at that- you can still be within the range of straight.

And take note of Ellia's example, it's a good one! Don't keep hitting your dick with a hammer!

12. paranoidkid

I'm Gunna have to let it slid because I don't know and that'd a killer to me. Not knowing is terrible. But I cannot recall what I felt, do all I can do is let it go like u said. And it kills me to do that. Lol. But it's what I have to do. I'll take a pass on this one. And yes you are correct that is the idea I have unfortunately :/ , I wish I could change it a bit. It would probably release all of this tension. Like i never thought about a guy that way my whole life and all that. So it makes sense for me to worry. But I do it to myself -.- . Your right tho with what u said, straight people can experiment. I never have and I really don't want to. Maybe I should to help me, but I will never just because I wouldn't be able too, litterly I do not want to do that just cause I don't want to.

13. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're being too hard on yourself. No-one truly knows themselves 100%, I don't think you can ever know literally everything there is to know about yourself or your attractions. But that's fine. You can still function without that perfect record. Just allow yourself a little uncertainty, it's something that everyone else on here has and often still does experience. You're not alone in it. Just because you don't know this finnickety little thing doesn't make you a bad person, you really have to accept that not everything has to be 100%.

14. paranoidkid

Your sure as hell right man. Freaking confusing ish. It's annoying not knowing 100% lol. If I look at it from that perspective I will give myself this then, I prefer girls. And I will just leave it at that for now. Trying to label myself during this time is just causing me stress, ik I prefer girls so.ill say that for now if that's okay. I'm learning a lot of life lessons going through this too. Thank you for your help sam! Your the man! Lol hopefully after a year I can continue too be myself again as I lost everything in myself. Failed school, don't do anything g anymore and all that. I used to have a 3.9 gpa, be outgoing, very athletic, extremely nice to everyone and worked out! Now it's all gone! I want it back! I'm gunna have to continue on not being 100% sure for about anything about myself now ! Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day! (!)(!):smilewave

15. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's ok man, I hope you enjoy your day as well. And go get that person you were back, you can do it :grin:!

:smilewave

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, it would actually help follow your situation and get an understanding of what's going on for you if you'd keep it all in one thread instead of starting a half-dozen of them. When you separate things out, we're only getting little pieces here and there so it's hard to grasp the entire picture.

If you like, if you want to identify all the recent threads where you're talking about the same issue in different ways, we can merge them into one thread.

Now... onto the actual topic. If you're trying to discern what's going on, it's pretty important that you remove as many variables as possible. So if you clench your groin when you masturbate to guys, you should do the same when you're masturbating to girls. And, as others have suggested, you need to try and step back and not analyze what's going on at the time it's going on, just experience it.

Think about girls. Masturbate. See how aroused you feel. How hard you get. How excited you are. What it feels like when you orgasm. Do that a couple of times so you can get a sense of what that experience is like.

Then do the same with guys.

Don't analyze while you're doing it. Don't worry if it takes a while, some people, it just does.

After you've done this a few times thinking about guys and then about girls (or vice versa), take a look at the patterns. Did you find it easier to get aroused to the guys? or to the girls? Did you reach orgasm faster with one or the other? Was the orgasm more or less intense with one or the other?

It sounds like your biggest problem is you're trying to overanalyze and second-guess yourself and if you want to be able to get an honest answer for yourself, you need to work on just being in the experience.

And... please respond in this thread. Please don't create another thread related to the same topic. It makes it easier for everyone who's trying to help you.

17. paranoidkid

Well I fantasized about guys to analyze it in the first place..I'm not sure if that caused me more confusion. It probably did. I'm like in a hole I can't get out of lol

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if you complete the exercise and describe what you felt with both, it might help you actually clarify.

On the other hand, if you only do part of the exercise and then simply look at it as confusing and yourself as being in a hole you can't get out of, and convince yourself that all you'll do is get more confused... that's probably what will happen.

If you want to solve this, you need to do the work to have some experiences to look at and analyze. But if you do little bits and pieces, you aren't going to get any useful information and won't be any closer to resolving your confusion.

It's really up to you. If you want the answers, we can do our best to help. But we can't be of much assistance when you're running yourself in circles and avoiding doing the things that will help to provide clarity.

19. paranoidkid

Well no I did do your exercise. But I do it and then I'm like "okay I'm not gay" then I go I'm a circle again and start worrying and doubting again just because I will do that because I want more proof and I keep going into circles basically. It's hard to describe. I do it, but at the same time I dont. And thank you for your help chip

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See it appears the problem is less that you can't decide, and more than you're obsessed with making it so...