1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always saw myself as straight untill I met him

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Ojos azules, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Right so all this is kinda new to me.... always lived my life on the straight and narrow, plenty of women even have a child.... never ever had feelings towards other men... anyways..so I start this new job, and turns out my team manager is gay... we had a chat, just to get to know eachother and instantly i felt some sort of pulling force towards him, can't describe it other than it being the same as i would have with a woman I fancied....anyways.. it freaked me out as I couldn't place it.... scared the hell out of me..... I tried not to think too much about it in the hope it would pass..... yet it hasn't.... it seems to have turned into a crush/ feelings for this guy.... he was standing next to me the other day and I could smell him... anyway's wether he feels the same is debatable as he thinks I'm straight.... I've accepted the fact that I could be bisexual... tho my question is... what now? anyone any advise?

2. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that kind of happened for me i thought i was straight untill i met a girl. if your married then forget about the guy. if your not then mabye get to know him.

3. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Nope not married, single..... just holding back I guess in taking that first step

4. VolpeSolitario

I say if you feel a connection, go for it, if it's what you really want~

5. Trooper

Yes. If you feel he might like you back, go for it! Don't miss out on your chance.

6. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think sexuality is something that transcends labels. You're still you. Sexuality fluctuates.

As for now...well, follow your heart. Life's too short to be anything but happy. Be safe. Make wise choices. If you like this guy, and you feel he could like you back...why not? I know you've never seen yourself as being with a man, but gay relationships are just like straight relationships. If you're not accustomed to them, you'll feel out of place for a while, but after a while you realize how mundane one is. The problem is that people aren't exposed to it as much so when they see it, they have that shock value, but in reality it's not all that different. In any case, follow your heart. Maybe you'll like it...maybe you won't. Good luck.

7. biggayguy

How about a business lunch for just the two of you? You may be able to put some feelers out so to speak about liking him. You might also find some common interest outside of work. Some gay guys like sports, fishing, hunting and so on.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was wondering if this happened to straight males today now i know

9. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you say team manager, does that mean he is your boss or supervisor? Check your workplace's employee manual to see what the policy is on workplace relationships. Even if it isn't company policy, it is usually a bad idea to get involved with someone in a position of power over you. There is not really any chance of being on an equal footing in the relationship. If you end up wanting to pursue something with him, you would at the very least need to switch to a different team. Worst case scenario, the business would ask one of you to resign to avoid a conflict of interest. Do you have any friends who are bi or gay? I think they would be the best person to discuss these feelings with rather than your team manager.

10. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Thanks for the replies ppl,much apreciated.... not sure on what I need to do now.... I don't think there is a policy in our work contract regarding a conflict of interest... though if anything did happen then yes understandably I would have to switch teams. I haven't discussed this situation with anyone except one close friend, which I must say has been a good help, she's been very understanding.... until i'm sure other than chatting on here I will keep things to myself, I'm a bit of a closed book when it comes to matters of the heart... yet when I see him or stand close to him, talk to him...well this intense feeling takes over...crush is the right term i'd say :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... saying that neither knows of the others interest, if any... he thinks i'm straight...though I know he has flirted with me on a few occasions...though he got no response from my end....:bang: kicking myself for that now though

11. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Any signs to look out for that he's definately into me? Can always tell if a chick is digging me but a guy, hmm well pretty sure he'sflirted with me

12. SilentCreatures

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell - there could always be playful flirting without the person actually wanting to do more.

I would recommend talking to him though - a lunch or something like that might help make things clearer.

Do you have any sexual thoughts? I do have a friend who was smitten with another guy - nothing sexual just felt that he connected with him in a strong way. It did confuse the heck out of him at first but afterwards realised that he just really liked the guy and only as a friend. They are now great mates.

Not saying this is your situation - just that there are many variables.

Good luck - I love that feeling you get when someone kind of knocks you off your feet - for whatever reason :slight_smile:

13. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

My thoughts or feeling where absolutely non sexual at first, just confusion and wanting to be near him, chat to him... general weirdness I thought.... confusion.... then when he was close to me or standing near my my heart would start racing, mouth would go dry and I really questioned what was going on... adrenaline rush...sweating.. anyways... to cut a long story short, my thoughts only recently started to become sexual, after I accepted the fact that I could be/am Bi....

14. SilentCreatures

I had that exact same experience with an owner of a café I used to go to. To the point that when I went to buy a coffee I could barely speak, my legs were jelly and heart zooming around the world. To make matters worse for me he would always come out and rest his arm on my shoulder to talk. He was straight though hahaha :slight_smile:

I wish you all the best :grin:

15. Tegan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    This is the first post I write in this forum, sorry I didn't introduce myself yet, but I find this topic very interesting even if I'm a girl.
    Sometimes, when we find out that someone of our own gender is gay, we as straight people, automatically activate the "danger" sign. As in he/she would hit on us any minute :confused:. Even if we try to be as open as possible about it, there's still something there which is not very accepted in our society yet. But... gay people have exactly the same taste and the attraction feeling as straight people and the fact that he touches you or wink at you doesn't automatically means that he or she is attracted to you.

I think that you're very confused at the moment and I'd like to know if you have confidence enough with this boy to talk to him about your feelings.
    The fact that you're straight and he's your manager doesn't help :eusa_doh:, because even if he's very attracted to you, he won't do anything that would jeopardise his job and/or would make you feel uncomfortable. So I would say... you need to figure out what you feel and what you want first and then, if you really like this guy, you would need to do something about it, because most likely he won't.

Do you have a dinner or a party planned for the next few weeks? That would be a very good opportunity to try to get closer if this is really what you want (*hug*). And, if something happens, tell him very openly that you're still not so sure about it, so you won't hurt his feelings in case he is interested in you. Good luck!!

16. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Hi :thumbsup: thanx for your reply,

I have also thought about the fact that he won't act on any thing because he's my manager, jeopardising his job is probably indeed that last thing he wants.... I agree with you that I do need to figure things out further, cos once he knows I can't take things back whatever the outcome.... we have a work related drink planned in a few weeks... still some time to think things over I guess.... Infatuation.... a crush... or true feelings?? :help:

17. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of thoughts...

- Don't get your meat where you get your potatoes. Relationships at work, particularly between a supervisor and subordinate, usually end badly (with the subordinate getting fired over some trifle). If you find out this guy is gay and REALLY want him, either he or you are going to have to change jobs before embarking on a romance.
    - Can you think of other times you had feelings for men? This experience may cause you to rethink some of your feelings in the past that you suppressed.
    - The Western idea of "sexual orientation" is somewhat limiting. Not only is it a continuum, but it can be fluid over time. This is an uncomfortable idea, as it implies that "straight people can turn gay" or vice-versa. Though usually, the appearance of a straight person "turning gay" is that they were really bi all along, but stopped suppressing their feelings one day.

18. ladylovelylocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree work place romance between a boss/employee not often being a good idea but that said in my workplace we have had several in office relationships and I can only think of one that ended badly out like 5/6. I think another issue that can come up is if you go public with a romance in a workplace the other employees sometimes start to question the way the boss treats you professionally (ie did he get that promotion cause he is *with* the boss and I am not?) Best to check your workplace policy ASAP before you go further.

I think that often bi people will push down the draw towards the same sex until they don't one day or until the meet someone they click with and that is quite possibly what happened for you. I remember this one girl who worked at a deli I went to, she was gorgeous and extra friendly with me. I would look forward to going in there and when I did I was just blown away each time by how she affected me. I had no idea if she was straight or not but she did seem flirty with me lol. never got up the guts to do anything about it and I kicked myself for years after, it says something that it was 8 years ago and I still remember it clearly. With this guy you know he is gay so you have step 1 covered. Now to figure out if you want to try to do something about your own feelings. From there you should talk to him but be prepared he might not reciprocate even if he likes you because you work with him, he is gay and you are questioning and sometimes gay people do not want to chance setting themselves up for hurt/headache with a curious person (sometimes not always) his flirting might not mean he is into you, some people are just flirty :wink: or he might be holding back most of his flirting if he does indeed have a thing for you. I know as a bi woman I will catch myself before I get too flirty with female friends because I don't want to make them uncomfortable so he may do that as well if he believes you to be straight, just a thought.

19. Ojos azules

Ojos azules Guest

Thanks for your response,

I have thought long and hard about this one and I could always switch teams if anything did ever happen... for now I'm just playin it cool.. thinking things through..

In all fairness I've always been able to tell if I liked a guy,if he was good looking etc. though I was never sexually atracted to guys... not untill, that is, I met this guy... dunno what it is..... maybe I have supressed feelings in the past..

20. Seagypsy

If it makes u feel any better, I'm in exactly the same position, and office romances are not banned in my case... ;-)