1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i know?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Cass, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Cass

I a typically more attracted to men than women, and i tend to be more romantically involved with men, however, every so often a girl comes along, and i am attached to her in a weird way. Its not a straightforward "I would have sex with her" or even "I love her"

Its more like I long for her to be near me, I look at her, and i think she is pretty, and smart and i try to get her attention, but it is not the same feeling i feel with guys.

Am I just confused?

2. StephenSC

Everyone is very different in the way they feel attraction towards others, so it's a really hard thing to say... One thing that comes to mind could be, I wonder if the feeling toward your own sex has to do with admiration or aspiration as well.

It's a little difficult to explain, but consider this:

With girls, not only could you have the general romantic, sexual feelings but you may also have an admiration of them. Their position in life and society, their family life, work life or just the personal qualities they possess. It may even be an aspiration to have some of the qualities they possess, either physical or mental, desiring to be more like them makes you want to be closer to them.

With guys, you feel the normal sexual and romantic feelings, and although they will also have qualities you look extremely highly upon, and even some elements that you'd like to possess, being a of a different sex really limits the connection you can feel in that way.

I hope that makes sense. Basically when considering those you look up to, or want to be more like, most people will (in my belief) identify more with their own gender. I think that might be a part of your differing feeling between genders.

All this being said, I don't think these differing feelings need to alter your sexuality in anyway. That is provided both types of attraction are strong enough... All it means is the feelings you have towards people have differing motivations, the end result, of loving someone or wanting to be with someone, is ultimately the same.