1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't I feel comfortable calling myself a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't feel comfortable calling myself a lesbian for some reason. To avoid that I came out as bi instead. That was a mistake. Then I got all obsessed and confused about my sexuality. I still am a bit confused. I kind of want to be out, but I'm still too confused and uncomfortable with myself. I can't win!

2. atirum18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the same problem, I'm not even out to that many people either. Just to one from who I told that I was bi instead of lesbian. But I'm not even sure that I am one cause I still have raging hormones.

Maybe its because you don't want to be put out of the crowd, I mean, a lot of people are bi curious and that is perfectly okay. But as soon as everyone knows that you're only into the opposite gender, its a completely different story.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I did the same thing too i came out as bi but then realized i'm lesbian i'm not comfortable telling people that i'I've came out as bi that i'm actually a lesbian because i they will question me on how I confuse the two and i'm worried how it will seem . But i know one day i'll get the courage to do it . I still have doubts but I'm reaching to a point where i'm sure i'm a lesbian . I think you shouldn't come out if you don't want to and wait til your comfortable with that label or just sure your a lesbian or just comfortable for that matter .
    I label myself lesbian here because that's what i feel i truly am and even if i did make a mistake people would not judge me harshly but though sometimes i have doubts . But you should wait til your ready and you feel comfortable then come out , I think this happens to some gays and lesbians where we're sure we're gay but we still question it out of fear .
    I hope this helped (*hug*)

#3 stocking, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just feel so closeted even though I know that I don't have to come out. What makes this even more awkward is that there's this boy that likes me. I only like him as a friend, but he wants a relationship with me. I told him that "I'm not that into guys." He still asks me if I want a boyfriend. I keep on telling him that I don't want one since I'm not that into guys. I just don't feel like properly coming out to him.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't need to label yourself, just tell him you want a girlfriend.:icon_wink

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the same problem but no one asked me out yet but i get hit on by random guys sometimes I tell them i'm single and if I tell them i'm not interest they try to explain to that they will be good for me or why i should date them they don't ever back off which i hate I too don't want to tell anyone yet that I'm a lesbian . So I just say I don't want a relationship right now and some of them back off but there was one that asked for sex and i was put off and i just flat out said No

7. KWDBM

Just my opinion, but sometimes labels just aren't the way to go. If you aren't that into guys, you don't *have* to say you are a lesbian. If you are interested in girls, but don't think you are bi... You still don't have to say "lesbian". Imo, sometimes the labels themselves make it harder to "come out". It's perfectly fine to express the fact that you don't want to date guys right now, without saying "I'm a lesbian". And it's perfectly normal to not feel comfortable with that label. Maybe you will later. You never know.

8. pinkandfreetobe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate calling myself a lesbian. I dunno why, it seems so wrong to define myself that way.

I think the word implies a negative stereotype, one that I have subconsciously accepted. This could be why I hate the word so much.

But then again, I could be wrong and I am hating on the word just coz of the way it sounds.

Who knows rite?