1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to be gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by gaynerd64, Jan 20, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I know in my heart that I am gay, and I feel strong attraction to other guys. Is this okay? I know that the Bible teaches against it and that most straight people are "homophobic". But what is wrong with it?

2. Querying

In this day and age, i would contradict your phrase "most straight people are "homophobic"". In my opinion, everything's been changing over that last decade or so - yeah, homophobes are all around you, but they aren't the majority. At this point i think it's more that many people are uncomfortable with the idea of gays.

THere is nothing exactly 'wrong' with being gay - the reason it's so contradictory is largely because it's unnatural: life is existent for the purpose of eating, drinking, sleeping, and reproducing. Humanity has evolved to the point where those are no longer life missions; they're just milestones along the way. And so with sentience, we have developed other things. Like homosexuality.

I'm not telling you that being uncomfortable with your sexuality is wrong - almost everyone takes a while to figure themselves out. But it's not a sin, no matter what the bible says. The bible was written by humans, after all; not God.

3. WearyWanderer

Of course it's okay! :slight_smile: It's true that the traditional Bible teaches against it, however, there are many modern religious preachings that interpret that it can be okay. For those religious folks, keep in mind that the Bible was written a long time ago, where it was socially unacceptable to be gay. That's starting to lessen now, and as such these religions should move with the times. Remember, the Bible says that it's okay to have slaves. And today...*cough cough* :wink:
    Also, I would also like to say that nowhere near most straight people are homophobic. I can't speak for your area, but many people are very supportive of gays in many places. There are always some homophobes, but not every straight person will be against you, just as if you were black not all whites would be against you for the color of your skin (By the way, happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! :grin:).
    Thirdly, to answer your question, nothing makes being homosexuality wrong. But when something's different from the social norm, it makes people uncomfortable. The majority of people are straight, so when they see two guys hugging and kissing, some begin to act hostile towards the different group. That doesn't make them bad or evil, just ignorant that these different people still share one similarity with them: they're both still people. It is completely okay for you to be different. Trust me. :slight_smile:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bible is a contradicting book that supposedly preaches forgiveness but alps condemns.

Jesus never made claims against homosexuals or preached hate but if anything taught people how to be moral upright people worthy of God. I believe in using the bible as a guide book rather than as law.

Second, you need to get over the fact gay is not bad. Are you a bad person? I'm guessing not. Bad and good people come in all shapes and sizes.

5. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually being gay is not unnatural. Many species have gay members, and gay people have existed just as long as heterosexual people have. Being gay actually serves an evolutionary purpose, because if everyone lived to reproduce, then the planet would be overpopulated and there would not be enough resources for everyone. Plus, what about the kids who have no parents and need to be adopted.

Also gaynerd64, the bible is contradictory with the biggest thing the original versions of the bible say (I say original because many words and terms like homosexuality were added in later versions,) is that a man shall not lay with another man the way he lays with a woman. If you don't know how gay sex works, then I will just say that males don't have the necessary parts that women do, to have sex the same way a male would be able to go about it with a woman, so gays are in the clear there. :lol: Plus, two of the bible heroes in the book of Samuel were gay, although im not sure if they had sex in that story, but SPOILER ALERT: in the end their souls became one and they went up to heaven. The bible says a lot of things are sinful like eating shellfish, guys having long hair, woman having sex on their period, wearing clothes of two different fabrics, all kinds of stuff. It's also sexist and a whole bunch of other stuff, but to explain it all would lead to someone getting upset and im not trying to do that or have an argument.

There is nothing wrong with being gay. How could anything be wrong with loving someone? You are still young, and you still have a lot to learn about the world and how things work. So hopefully you will understand later in life, if not now, that regardless of what other's say there is nothing wrong with being gay and being who you are. I will even humor you and say that if your version of God exists, then he would love all of his creations and would not make the mistake of making someone gay if he didn't like gay people, because being gay is something you are born with and can never be changed no matter what others tell you.

Be proud of who you are. This is how God made you. He doesn't make mistakes, and also in the bible, Jesus preached against religions that do not change with time. Hope this helped. :slight_smile:

6. KiddlesP

I can support this part of ShadowSpirit26's quote as a biologist, there are indeed many species that do show homosexual members whether out of advantage, necessity, or chance. Indeed the classic example of Cnemidophorus neomexicanus is worth a look.

7. Clay

Most straight people aren't homophobic. In Western society it's pretty safe to say that homophobes are in the minority.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a good reason why the men who wrote the Bible and other religious texts thousands of years ago are against homosexuality. Back then religions and government wanted to increase their numbers, as in be fruitful and multiply
    At one point in the earths history, the human life expectancy was mid 30's, and wars and plagues would sometimes wipe out a large part of the earths population. It was never because some God up in heaven didn't want you to be gay.

I have a feeling most straight people aren't homophobic, but just don't care about homosexual issues the same way that the homophobes and the LGBT community cares, because they don't have a dog in the hunt, as my dad would say. Back when my former partner and I first joined a special interest club, there was some guy there soliciting for support for his state getting a constutional amendment to ban gay marriage. He approached a guy who happened to be sitting nearby, and that guy don't him he'd rather support gay marriage being legal instead. The guy said, "Are you gay?" and he said, "No." The guy asked "then why do you care?" The guy said, "I care because it's the right thing to do. Two gay guys or gals getting married doesn't affect me or you in the slightest." The guy started talking about the sanctity of marriage, and the guy told him, "The sanctity of my marriage or yours isn't affected by what some gay couple does, it's only affected by what you or your wife do. Have you ever cheated on her? Even just once?" The guy's mouth was open, but he wasn't saying anything. He made this guy look like the total fool that he was.
    One of the clubs officers then went over to the guy and told him he wasn't allowed to solicite for political causes.

9. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing. Our existence does not intrinsically harm anyone or anything. This world could always do with a bit more love in it. Also, from what I've heard Jesus Christ was of the opinion that Love>Hate.

10. My brother tried to contradict the gay animals argument by saying we aren't animals.

What makes us any less animal? Sure we are more intelligent (maybe) and have advanced technology. So what? We're all made up of carbon atoms. We all live on the same rock. What makes us more special?

The Bible said you could have slaves, women were property and adulteres could be killed.
    Why is none of this okay today, but being gay is still wrong?

People are just scared of change. They're scared of things that are different and things they don't understand.

Being gay is natural. It's not wrong. People are just ignorant.