1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are people born homosexual or is sexuality fluid?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jenny173, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Jenny173

Jenny173 Guest

I've always wondered about these two concepts, because if one exists can the other? For example, I've had gay friends who have said they have always known they were gay for as long as they can remember, and that they were born that way. However, I've heard of people who experimented with homosexuality, and enjoyed it but then felt that it wasn't for them or felt that their sexuality changed, but if we are born homosexual can it really change? I've also noticed, and I might be wrong here, that women tend to be more open to experimenting and saying that they are bisexual while men tend to use bisexuality as a transitional word. When it comes to women the idea of sexuality being fluid seems more plausible than men however that's not to say that male sexuality can't be fluid as well. Is female sexuality different than male sexuality? Is sexuality just who we can enjoy sex with or to be considered a sexuality does it always require an emotional aspect? Sorry for asking so many questions I'm just curious as someone questioning my own sexuality.

2. Just Jess

From everything I've seen and everyone I have talked to, I think it is fluid for some people and not others. I think culture and everything else plays a role, but I think that just goes as far as people limiting what they will let themselves even think about.

I honestly think most people really can't enjoy sex at all with the wrong person, and the people that can enjoy it with any sex are the minority.

I think sexual fluidity probably happens more often than people being attracted to any sex or their own sex, but I think it's really hard to say exactly what sexual fluidity really means. If you notice one exception does that count? That kind of thing.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I suppose I was born gay because I never really felt straight. But there have been times in my life, when I was twelve or thirteen maybe, where I wasn't very sure about my sexuality and for almost a year I thought I was bisexual. But once I realized I was a lesbian, I realized I always have been. The first time I came out as bisexual to my BFF, I remember noticing it sounded weird to say I was bi. But when I tell people I'm a lesbian, I feel more sure of myself and somehow feel more comfortable with the label.

But I think with many other people it's different. Some people are attracted to one gender, then the other, so then they think they're bi, but then they're only attracted to one gender and have no interest in the other gender, and then the opposite, so they just get really confused, lol. So I think it depends on the person. While some people are the same sexuality all their lives, other people's vary over time. I do believe most gay people are 'born gay' though.

I think male and female sexuality doesn't have any major differences, it more depends on the person.

And sexuality is more about what gender people would have sex with, but there's definitely other factors too, and that includes physical aspects (just looking at them, not having sex with them) and yes, emotional aspects.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use the Kinsey scale for most of these situations. I would put myself at a solid 4.
    I believe that most people have some bisexual traits, but a lot of them are exclusively hetero/homo as well, and that it really depends on the person.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i think people are born gay and some people are sexually fluid but not everyone

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's hard to say. I think the majority of people who claim to be sexually fluid are just confused or bisexual.

7. Huma

In my case, it's fluid. There was a time I was crazy about men, nowadays I can't bring myself to think about it. If I were born gay, I would never have felt that way before.

8. duende84

I was born gay. Never been attracted to a female (other than friendship). But when I good looking guy walks past... hot sweat... cant suppress it.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that EVERYONE is born with the capacity for it, in the same sense that everyone has the capacity for doing anything, and the rest comes down to experience, personal preference and a whole bunch of other things.

10. PurpleGrey

I think my sexuality at least solidified at an early age, before I fully understood it. Even when the denial eroded, it took me a while to understand where I am on the spectrum as much as I do now. So it could be that for some people, sexuality can be fluid, and for others, they might still be figuring out exactly what they are. And for some, sexuality starts off fluid and then solidifies.

11. Skyline

It's possible for any part of the brain to change, but for some people it's so set in that they may never come across the conditions that might change it. And that's fine.

12. Minnie

I don't think scientists are 100% sure, but it would seem that some people are born straight, others gay, others bisexual and others have a fluid sexuality or no sexuality. It's all about the individual.

13. jargon

Some people are born with a predisposition to be homosexual; some people are born with a predisposition to be sexually fluid. Just like not everyone is attracted to the opposite sex, not everyone experiences 100% stability in which gender(s) they are attracted to over the course of their lives.

14. Saint Otaku

I was born absolutely flaming. I don't know about people though, I can only guess...

15. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you think maybe you could be a bisexual who is going through a female attraction stage??

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I also don't believe women are more fluid than men both are just as fluid it's just women are more open about it and men keep it shush shush .
    Plus I don't believe everyone is sexuality fluid because if that were true you wouldn't have gays and lesbians that say they were never attracted to the opposite sex .

#16 stocking, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  17. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im going to get really scientific id have to say that we all have the chance to be homosexual because studies have been done on 1,500 species of animals, etc. and all have had bisexualism in their species, not one turned out to be completely heterosexual, look at it this way, we all came from one being(GOD, whomever) which means asexual, then we branched off into two sexes, and DNA down the line after reproducing changes, hence all the other types of sexualities, so depending on DNA like scientists have proven its who you're related to that matters your sexual identity, I thought i was completely heterosexual all my life until my first time with someone of the same sex, then it made me look back on my past and i realized that i had been into the same sex the whole time just certain situations "forced" me to be straight, but i definitely wasn't

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't believe in the everyone is bi theory to be honest if that were true then there would be no such thing as lesbian or gay everyone would be just bi .
    I also think that some people who say everyone is bi are people who are bi and can't understand how someone can't be attracted to both sexes . And some people who are confused about their own sexuality and use it as a security blanket .

#18 stocking, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  19. Karabeara

I think it honestly depends on the person. Someone could be born homosexual and another be fluid. One of the reasons straight people can't figure homosexuality is because homosexuals can't figure it out. That makes it hard for gays and bisexuals to stand their ground because some people are fluid and some aren't.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with this