1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the verge of hyperventilating for 3 years isn't fun

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by FancyGummy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Ok. So. A few years ago, my best freind decided he trusted me enough to tell me he was bi. (actually, he sent me a link to his pseudonym Twiter page, but you get the idea.)

Being in a very religious family, that hit me like a brick wall. At the same time, without any thoughts to the contrary, I told him "oh... well that's fine, nothing wrong with that" because I never found it to be a problem.

About a year later I realized without a doubt that I really, truly loved him :icon_redf and quickly started to become attracted to more and more men.

When I was younger, I know remember, I had been attracted to other boys as well, but I only think I remember. I wonder if I may just be creating false memories to justify myself.

I am still fairly religious (christian) and, well, in my opinion the bible's clear, (nor men who lie with men) so if I come out I'm not going to consider myself a christian anymore. Of course, since I do believe the bible, it's a literal life or death decision from my perspective.

Either I come out and live with the feeling that I could have lived forever, or I spend my life lying to myself as I believe I did throughout much of middle school.

This is the first time I have told anyone about this.

I'm sorry, I know, putting religion in the mix makes this a very sensitive situation and I can really only make the decision myself. But I just felt like the pressure valve needed to be released somehow. (writing this isn't helping, actually :tears:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2014 at 03:23 PM ----------

Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm 17 - and for whatever reason I like more feminine guys, and tomboyish girls. I have Asperger's disorder, and am an INFJ on the miggs-bryer personality scale (a bit of an odd combination)

2. Gen

Gen

To be frank, if the Book of Leviticus is truthfully the standard for human salvation there would be no point in attempting to avoid homosexuality to save oneself because none of us would stand a chance regardless. Even among religious figures, Leviticus is a section of the Bible that is hardly considered as applicable to human life because the guidelines it sets are nearly impossible to remain in the confines of. Homosexuality is the only topic that Christians choose to argue in favor of condemning because homosexuals and polysexuals are a persecuted minority group.

Slavery, misogyny, classism, Social Darwinism, and genocide have all be supported by manipulating the common interpretations of the Bible, as with many other religious texts. People see what they want to see to justify their own agendas. Not to mention, the Bible has been translated by hand for centuries. Language and concepts that are present in the text today weren't even in existence at the time of creation. I respect the belief that the Bible may have been written as the word of God, but I'm sorry to say that preservation of the word through language and millenia of translation would have been undoubtedly impossible.

You don't have to choose between your beliefs and who you are. Exactly as you don't have to take the beliefs of others as your own. Take some time to consider the things that you truly believe and live life in the way that you see as most gratifying.

3. setnyx

i agree with you. the bible being the word of god but written down by a human, as flawed as we are. not much faith in that.

4. katwat

I recently read Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. It is based on the historical personage of Jesus the man instead of the biblical Messiah Christ figure. During his life Jesus took action to right the injustices of his day. Even during his time he was pressured to proclaim himself as the Messiah and he repeatedly refused to do so. He eventually, begrudgingly stopped protesting when others called him that but his most agreeable responses when called on to claim to be the Son of God (capitals intended) was to say "I am the Son of Man" which laid claim to a different prophetic figure altogether. Immediately following the death of Jesus there began power struggle and division within the followers of Jesus. If James had lived longer and continued to direct the followers we would likely have had a whole different religion. As it was Saul came into leadership and the religion began a whole new route which led to the foundation it is built on today.

So many other power struggles along the centuries have shaped and twisted the meaning and impact of the life of a man who would have been fighting the majority of practices done in his name today.

As I tell my daughter "the fault of religion lies not with God but with mankind."

5. FancyGummy

Well, my opinions aren't changing. sorry.

Edit: OK, wow, I have lost faith in humanity because of the posts here. I never should have mentioned religion.

#5 FancyGummy, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh that's weird what happened to the first post? Anyway I'm so sorry you're feeling the way you do, Pummelmuffin.(*hug*) I could offer you my in-depth views on religion/spirituality but that's a really personal thing so I'll just say most of the major world religions seem to put a lot of stock in the idea that love is a good thing and conquers hate/evil. Given that, I personally cannot see how adding more love to the world could be a bad thing. I hope things get better for you.

7. FancyGummy

Since my OP has mysteriously disappeared, to recap, my main issue is that I only started feeling attracted to other guys a few years after my best friend was bi, but I get the feeling that I have had suppressed feelings for other guys in the past. I'm not sure if I have just constructed false memories to justify myself.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fixed this, sorry about that, for some reason, your post was kicked into moderation.

9. Gen

Gen

What exactly are you seeking from us then? It is highly unlikely that you would have constructed false memories to justify being bisexual because the mind wouldn't have had any reasonable motivation to do that. You're only seventeen. It is extremely common for your attractions in both men and women to have not been as fully developed until a few years ago.

People aren't bashing Christianity here. Only explaining that there is no reason to have this mindset that you have to choose between your religious beliefs and your sexuality. You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what others have said here in that regard, since your religious beliefs clearly are going to have a hand in your ability to accept yourself.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With this quote in mind, what do you want us to say? It's clear that you are strong in your faith, which is cool. But there comes a point where you have to make a choice. You're at that spot. I was at that spot at one point. I tried to hide it. That, clearly did not go too well for me. I still have emotional scars from that, and it's been over 2 years.

It's your choice in the end. It's not my place to tell you what choice to make. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision. If you ever want to talk to me, feel free to PM me, because I know that it can be a hard decision to make.