1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality male and female

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Omla, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Omla

Why do people think the world is accepting of female bisexuality
    (The new First Lady of ny was a lesbian before marraige)
    And so disparaging of the male variety?

Very curious to get comments!

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    People also think the same thing about lesbians how everyone is accepting and it's easy to get a girlfriend and you have no stress coming out to anyone because like bisexuality with women men will think it's hot and it turns them on

3. jargon

Well male same-sex attraction in general seems to get a bit more media attention, both positive and negative, so that may be part of it.

I don't know that I would say there's really a lot of popular acceptance of female bisexuality. It certainly seems to be tolerated more by the media, but its also heavily fetishized as an outlet for straight male fantasies, not accepted on its own terms. If that makes any sense.

4. fortheloveoflez

And this is the troubling part. People seem to have this false idea that sexual harrassment and threats are "tolerance". You've got to be kidding me. Saying that lesbianism or female bisexuality is more "accepted" than male homosexuality/bisexuality because "straight men get turned on by it" is a mainstream thought and disturbing at best. Did you know about how many queer women have been through this hate crime called corrective rape? Ya, it's not as reported as the gay male bashings and it doesn't get the front headlines but it is a REAL concern. Here's a link Horror of South Africa's 'corrective rape' - CNN.com . The truth is that the gay movement was started at least in the US (and probably many other countries) by the most privileged and the more powerful group in society which was the cis white able-bodied males who happen to be homosexuals/bisexuals. You also need to realize that a lot of the cis women in the group were more concerned with the feminist movement and some times put the lesbian movement secondary. It's not a surprise then that the group who started this whole thing has their issues set in the forefront. That's not to saythat we've made a huge leap and are tryng to include all different types of people though...

There are independent struggles that bisexuals have to face. It's entirely wrong to say they are accepted and "have it easy". Bisexuals tend to get unfairly grouped with the "unreliable", cheaters and people who don't know what they want. It's proposterous. Typically male bisexuals tend to be labeled as gay. Female bisexuals tend to be labeled as straight but curious. Both are constantly pushed to be either on the "gay side" or the "hetero side". Even though bisexuals make up the largest portion of the community they don't have proportional representation. It's not easy, that's for sure.

#4 fortheloveoflez, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's what I stating that people use that as a believe to think it is easy for bisexual and lesbian women When it's not true at all I agree with all your saying here it is true . I guess the way I wrote it came out the opposite of what i was trying to point out . What I'm saying is being lesbian or a bisexual is fetish for straight men and we are not more accept . Because I've been told online come out as a lesbian you have it easy straight men love you . Sorry if I offended you in way I simply did not explain what i was trying to say well enough

6. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mm, for sure bisexuality is a tough place to be in for either sex, but as a woman it becomes a sexist issue. A bisexual man is 'confused'. A bisexual woman is a slut and a cheater and 'just pretending' or trying to get attention. Maybe some of those things are also said about bisexual men, but not to the extent they are said of women. It's a problem.

7. fortheloveoflez

You didn't offend me, I was simply stating what I think is some thing lesbians and bisexuals go through which is to a lesser degree in other orientations:slight_smile:

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I read that link and it was very scary ,:icon_sad: I wish lesbians didn't have to go through that . I'm glad I didn't offend you (*hug*):icon_bigg

9. Omla

I agree that bisexuality is difficult for BOTH men and women.
    My hats off to my bi sisters.

I do think though that a compare and contrast look at
    Societies view can help shed insight on the issue of dual attraction.

I am not out to prove I'm in more pain than my bi sisters....
    But I do seek to understand my internalized bi phobic attitudes
    Through a more transparent understanding of societies attitudes.

If people feel that "society" is neutral about whether a bisexual person
    Is male or female that's fine.

I for one do believe "society" is not.

10. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where do you guys live, I need to go there because where I am they either hate both male and females LGBT or tolerate it. No ones preferring one over the other...

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Where I'm living finding a bi girl is like hitting the lottery for guys .
    When I use to identify as bi this guy use to treat me like utter crap , I remember one time he said he'll give me a ride home and he left me . But when he found out I was bi he was being all nice asking me if I want a ride and he never forgot me after that . But I didn't go with him he was an ass whole in the first place .
    To some straight men bi girl means = slut to them or easy .

12. Scarybat

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's why I am hesitant to date guys. If they find out you're bi they get all creepy and start asking really inappropriate questions, and they just think you're a slut or want attention. And if a guy acts nice, whether it's genuine or not, it feels like it's because he thinks I'm easy and he wants something from me. You just don't feel safe sometimes.

13. Saintly89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    According a modern stereotype with some supposed academic backing, male bisexuality is a myth while female sexuality is universal. I imagine some straight men enjoy citing this.

However, I think male bisexuality must exist and is more common than people give it credit for. I suspect the reason they're often invisible is because if they're content with heterosexual relationships then there is no reason to abandon straight privilege.

My cousin of an older generation has told me that he has known many gay men who have had affairs with many married men. He doubts all of them were completely unattracted to their wives or other women.

I wish male bisexuality was more acceptable because it would increase the population for men who love other men.

On the other side of the coin, even if female sexuality is possibly more fluid, it doesn't mean that all women are a Kinsey 3.

#13 Saintly89, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The straight men wish and fantasy that all women are a 3 on the kinsey scale , I always wonder if all women are bisexual like some straight men like to believe then wouldn't that mean that there would be no such thing as a lesbian ?
    I wish male bisexuality would be accepted more too but I guess it scares them because I've asked this question to straight men in another forum and they always tell me this men can be bisexual but it's very low it's like 1.3% women are more bisexual than men .
    I think it makes them feel safe and if that were true we wouldn't have married men sleeping with gay men or going to bath houses to have sex with other men . I feel so sad for men because their sexuality is so repressed .

15. TurtleShell

I myself need a little help. I am not "out" yet and I am still trying to sort out my sexuality right now. Currently I consider myself bi but when it comes down to it....Sexually I am attracted to both genders (more female than male) but romantically I am attracted to other guys. And I know thats what counts the most but I have barely had 1 girlfriend and not a single boyfriend. Its just when I fantasize about getting married or going to prom I imagine another guy with me.

What should I do?

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear things haven't changed much for the Gulf Coast states since I was in high school (grad 2004) When I was in HS, a boy was accused of being gay, and got beat up. On the other hand, my former girlfriend kissed her new girlfriend in front of her locker between classes, and the other kids whooped and hollered. The bad thing though was that later on 3 boys visited her at her house while her parents were gone. They assumed she was bi, (she might've been, I don't know) and in their pea sized brains bi=slut and whore. When she told them no, one of them got very angry about getting rejected.

17. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know why the world is this way, I just know it's wrong and makes it alot harder on others. I am leaning strongly towards being bisexual and I can tell you that if I was a bisexual woman, I would have more support and acceptance than I do being a bisexual man.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's true . Even being a lesbian too is the same thing you get more acceptance male fantasy at it's best .

19. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well there have been studies done, and it's more common for women than men to end up dating the same sex at some point it their lives even if they previously identified as straight. The reason it's more accepted though is probably because men tend to decide what is sexy, and they see same sex relationships among women to be hot. Honestly, that's all I think it is, because when it comes down to it it's just as difficult to parents and friends of lesbians to accept their sexuality as it is for those of gay guys.

20. Omla

I love that you value your romantic feelings!