1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure of my sexuality. lesbian or straight

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by eringg, Jan 29, 2014.

1. eringg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    im 14 and as ive been told, around my age is when people really start to question themselves. its the beginning of highschool and everyone just wants to 'fit in'.
    ever since i was little i figured there was something different about how i felt towards people. boys or girls that is. when i was about 9 or 10 i kissed a girl. i never thought anything of it because back then i didnt know what 'gay' or 'lesbian' meant. in seventh grade i found out what all those terms meant and they scared me. i didnt want people to see me any different because of who i loved. also in seventh grade i began seeing girls a different way. id see a girl and i thought they were pretty. but not like pretty i wanted to look like them. pretty like i wanted to talk to them and hold their hand. but i thought that was so wrong so i buried all of that for 2 years. until now. im not sure how i feel. i mean i still see some boys as attractive, but there is no emotional connection i guess. i feel myself leaning a bit towards gay but i dont really know. i dont like thinking that im bisexual because that scares me more than just being gay. i dont know how to figure out if im gay or not. i need help with that.

2. Im Just Me

There is no real way to make yourself know. It just happens. And may take some growing up, thinking, and exploring.
    However, Bisexual is an absolute possibility. It's not just black and white, there is an area in between. What is it exactly about bisexuality that scares you?

As far as gay or straight, there isn't really enough information for me to take a shot at it, and in the end, only you can figure it out. However, I'd have to say it does seem like you have an interest in girls. (This may not mean only girls, though.) The fact it started at a young age before hearing these terms, and that it still seems to be something you're interested in, means there could be something there. However, kids just do things sometimes, so if that's what has you questioning yourself currently, it could definitely be inaccurate. If you wouldn't be thinking you may like girls if that incident hadn't happened, it may not mean anything.

Just really think about where your physical attraction lies with each sex, where your emotional attraction lies, how you feel when around someone of the opposite and same sex, etc. It is probably something that won't just be quick to figure out. It may take a lot of thought, feelings, and exploration.
    But don't be afraid, and don't rule anything else.
    Don't let it worry you too much. Just go on and see how you find yourself feeling and who you're drawn to.

In the end, you're young and have plenty of time. You don't have to be labeling yourself yet. (I'm 19 and am still not 100% sure. And there are plenty of people on here much older questioning themselves.)

3. ComingClean

ComingClean Guest

Hi,
    Well I'm eighteen now and when I was fourteen, I started questioning my sexuality. Up until then I'd never really thought about it. I'd never been interested in guys and I had my first crush on a girl.
    You're sexuality is nothing to be scared of, it's something to embrace, and as you get older you'll realise that.
    You don't need to rush into labelling yourself, and I know that sounds frustrating because at one point, I was desperate to label myself. The key is not to think too much about it and to accept yourself for who you are :slight_smile: