1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just need to talk to someone

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by treespoon, Jan 30, 2014.

1. treespoon

I'm thirteen and I'm pretty sure I'm lesbian.
    I've never seriously had feelings for guys before, and I find myself flirting with other girls and I really like my best friend. A lot of the time I really want to kiss her, and sometimes it seems like she does too and then it gets awkward.
    Am I too young to be having these feelings? Should I tell people? A part of me really wants to tell my friends, because it would be a HUGE weight off my shoulders, but I'm worried that they'd treat me differently (I live in a small town where nearly no one is gay, but everyone has said that they're okay with people being gay). Should I tell my friend how I feel about her? Should I mention it to my parents? (they've said they will support me no matter what my orientation before).
    I'm just so confused, and I need to talk to someone. :icon_redf

2. Glittermunster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think there's an age to say it's too young. You feel what you feel. If you tell people... only tell people you absolutely trust and know will still accept you and see you for the person you are. There are still people who get blinded by the labels and will stop seeing you as a person and see you for just this one aspect of you. It hurts to have good relationships turn bad like that, so just be careful.
    As long as you know and accept this part of you, that's what matters the most right? I had a friend who said she was fine with gay people but when she found out I am not straight.. she told practically the whole school and anyone else she would gossip about me to. It was NOT okay for me to be *something other than straight* and be her friend.
    As for whether you should tell your parents, I would say to first test the waters. Figure out whether by using small talk or little questions here or there, or casually bringing up topics that relate to the LGBT community, to see what their opinions are. Some parents are accepting, some are not. To give an example from my life, my mom's got my whole life planned out for me. That I will marry an asian guy, where to buy a house, how many children I will probably have.... she's in for a shock later I guess.

3. treespoon

thank you so much. I have pretty trustworthy friends, but if it gets around to a certain group of girls I know it'll be everywhere (I'm not sure they'll treat me the same either). Thank you. :slight_smile:

4. Nick07

Hi, welcome to EC.

I don't think you are too young, but your feelings may change in the future and that's fine. You can see much older EC members changing their labels.

Maybe you can test the waters by revealing that you think that you may like girls or that you may like both genders, or that you are questioning your orientation.

5. BiPenguin

Hi Treespoon.

Too young? No way, you're at the right age considering you're at the early stage of adolescence.

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

My two eldest daughters have been told by me that if they find themselves about their sexuality, that's fine, it's all normal. If you're interested in other girls, that's fine too. If it's experimental and you are unsure and thinking of seeing for sure, go for it. Just be yourself.