1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To tell or not to tell?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by 123d, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 123d

Okay, so I am out to three close friends already but I hang around in a group of four. Everyone I've told has responded really well. They've all been pretty surprised, as I'm very femme but have been really supportive. This one other friend though, I am unsure of whether to come out to. I am Catholic. As a lesbian, I know this doesn't bode well for me in the future which is why I am DEFINITELY not coming out to my parents until I've left home. This friend is also Catholic but is very pro-gay marriage and is completely fine with homosexuality in general. Her reaction is not what I'm worried about. What I'm worried about is that when another of my friends came out to her as bisexual two years ago (she was also very depressed at the time) this friend outed her to me and another girl. I wasn't close to the bisexual friend in the slightest at this point and yet she still told me. This wasn't the last time either. She recently had a fall out with someone and used this as an excuse to tell us what she had been told by this girl in complete confidentiality, that her boyfriend was bisexual. I am worried that she will let something slip to my family members or others at school. At the same time, I feel like I should tell her. It would make things a lot easier as when we all hang out or whatever, I could just be myself. Plus, she is one of my best friends and it feels wrong to not tell her.
    So, opinions please? I could do with some advice on this, as I am seriously considering just going for it.
    Thanks xxx

2. Nick07

If you don't want others to know, I would advise you not to tell her. She clearly doesn't take a secret the way you do. If she outed two people already, why do you think she will not out you?

3. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree with Nick07. If you're fine with other people possibly knowing then go ahead and tell her, but don't expect her to keep it to herself.

4. 123d

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:
    In reply to Nick07, I trust her. She has been through quite a lot in her life which has forced her to change, and frankly, her knowing would just make things so much easier. I could talk at length about Orange is the New Black without getting weird looks etc. :wink:
    I guess I'll have to keep it a secret for now, but I would have liked to be able to be myself around friends...
    Thanks for the advice, it really was helpful :grin: