1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Phases

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Fourth, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Fourth

Hello again, everyone,

What do you think about phases?

Possible? Impossible? Sources of denial or excuses to be included in a gay community in order to undermine or minimize it or or to bring attention to yourself for the shock factor? Natural sexuality fluctuations? Something else entirely?

All thoughts on this are welcome! :grin:

2. Silver Sparrow

I think sexuality is fluid, and it can plateau at times, for some people for a very long time. I don't think it's really a source of denial for me. Definitely a way people minimize sexuality, particularly in young people. By that I mean when people say "it's just a phase".

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that some people can legitimately go through a "phase" where they feel more attracted to the same sex rather than the opposite sex, or vice versa. Like Sparrow said, sexuality is a fluid thing, and some people may go through several phases before the figure out what they really want/like.

4. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I believe it's totally possible to go through a phase, or for people's attractions to change with time. With me, I started out bisexual but mostly into boys, and over time, my attraction to girls increased, and eventually my attraction to boys decreased. This was completely on its own and natural, there was no denial nor any desire to be gay at all. I was completely apathetic towards my sexuality; I was always comfortable with whatever I was, and I didn't particularly care, it wasn't of importance to me. So yes, I think people can go through phases, either because they're still 'developing' into their sexuality (for lack of a much better phrase) or because of whatever reasons.

But I hate when people say that to excuse or negate a person's sexuality. Yeah, sure, it might be a phase, but chances are, before someone's come out, they've had a long time of getting to know and accept their sexuality, so it's most likely past any sort of phase period by that time. And also, hell, who is anyone else to tell someone it's a phase? If it is, it is. But that's not your place to say, so don't say it.

5. Silver Sparrow

I don't think it's a question of really, Scotty. Some people like different attributes at different times.