1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to figure things out...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SonnyDay, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SonnyDay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,

Recently I have started questioning my sexuality. Essentially, I have for the past year been doing some work on myself, some "soul searching" and I've learned a lot by myself. I have always identified as straight since I was young, but to be honest it's never felt quite right. I've never dated, and kept that part of my life "shut down" for a very long time. I've had crushes on boys, never for looks but for personality. I also get really nervous and uncomfortable when a guy flirts with me (which doesn't happen a lot). I will say that long story short I have had issues with father which has manifested in insecurity around men.

More and more I've noticed that I'll have more of a physical and emotional response to women over men. I'll see a shirtless man and think "Okay", but will stare at a women's figure. Sometimes I will see a man and think he's cute but it honestly happens so rarely. I am really confused. My parents have told me that I can't know if I am gay or not because I have never been with someone, but I don't agree. They also say that I am questioning my sexuality because I have "given up" on the opposite sex. I don't agree.

So overall what I'm trying to say is that I think I like women but I'm not sure.

So if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi

Well you might be lesbian, hard to tell for me. However, saying that you can't know if you really are homosexual, because 'you have never been with someone' is not true at all. Being with someone might be helpful while figuring it out, especially if you are confused, but it is not obligatory. When you are homosexual you usually just feel it. It is possible to know without experiennce :wink:

If i would have to judge what is your orientation, i would say that you are gay or bi. But you are the one who can know for sure. So good luck trying to figure it out (*hug*)

3. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't worry about what they say, it's not true. Some people need to/want to experiment in order to feel sure of who they are, but it's not obligatory. I've never done anything except with one girl. That's my entire romantic/sexual experience lol. But long before I met her, I knew I was into girls. I was always sure of it, I was never confused about it. So don't let that cause any unnecessary confusion. It sounds like you might be, but there's no rush in identifying as a certain sexuality, you can just live without a label and see if things give you clarity with time :slight_smile: