1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong to date when questioning?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by EttyT, Feb 21, 2014.

1. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've been asked on a date by a guy I've known for three years. This is a relatively big deal because I'm pretty much permanently single and it seems as though no one's ever interested!
    He's lovely, funny, attractive and an all round good guy.
    Is it wrong to accept his proposal of a date and go along with it when I'm questioning if I like men in that way?
    I really struggle to distinguish between liking someone and fancying them. I don't know if what I feel towards guys is "normal", or what straight people feel, or if I see him as a friend and not much else.
    I don't know if I'm interested because someone's expressed interest - I just wish I could compare my mind to someone else's - see how someone sure of their sexuality would feel in this situation.
    Recently I've been thinking about my desire to be romantically involved with a woman, I've started watching the L word and I feel jealous when I watch it. But none of my piers know I'm questioning.
    So basically - is it wrong of me to 'lead him on' if I'm questioning my sexuality.
    Thanks guys.

2. Foster

It's up to you and what you're comfortable with. I don't think one date could really be considered "leading him on", however if you went out with him and things eventually got serious, you should be honest about the fact that you're questioning your orientation.

One of the ways you can figure out your orientation is by going on dates with a variety of people. So I'd say go out with him, but keep things casual. Date other people too (maybe women?) and compare how you feel with each. Don't feel like you have to jump into something serious with a guy when you aren't even sure you like guys.

3. King

I don't see any issues going on a date with him and seeing him, but if starts to get serious and turns into a relationship then you should tell him.

4. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would like to date a woman but I can't do that when my friends don't know I'm questioning :/ I'd pretty much have to come out to date women

5. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree in that dating is fine when you're questioning how you feel, but if things progress and become more serious, it's only right to tell him at that point.

6. Lilli

Lilli Guest

I dont think its fair to him if you know he is interested in you romantically.

7. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If I don't date though, how will I know or figure out my feelings? I understand what you say, I don't want to hurt anyone or 'use' anyone. But if I do nothing, I'm stuck in limbo forever.