1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I partially asexual/aromantic or just socially isolated?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ChromeNerd, Feb 27, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I barely ever get crushes on anyone. I did kind of have a crush on a girl when I was fourteen. It was partially a feeling of finding her attractive(personality and looks), but also wanting to be more like her.

I felt excited to go to class because of her and I would get disappointed if she was absent. I also got annoyed if I tried to hang out with her and she only talked to her friends.

I never got the "butterflies" or any bodily sensations around her. I just got extremely happy and obsessive. This makes me suspect that I just admired her and this wasn't a real crush.

I haven't really gotten any crushes after that. I have gotten attracted to some girls, but the attraction didn't last too long. It doesn't seem like my attraction is as strong as everyone else's.

I am quite socially isolated. My only friend is a male friend who I am not attracted to. Could this have something to do with my lack of attractions?

2. not sure if its any help.

i dont crush on many people at all, ive had probs about 4 crushes in my life and one long term relationship. i only crush on people once ive got to know them insiode out, i cant crush on random strangers at all i have to have some connection.

cant say ive ever wanted to control anyones behaviour who ive crushed on though, i think maybe you just want to be noticed by this girl and you think the only way she might still be your friend is if she only talks to you because youre scared of her leaving you? i could be totally wrong though.

perfectly fine for people to make you happy as friends/get excited about seeing them and doesnt mean you have a crush on them.

just go with the flow one day youll probs have a big crush on someone youll prob know when it happens :slight_smile:

3. lemarikosong

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you need to have "butterflies" in order of it to be a real crush. As long as you have an extreme interest in someone, it's enough to be called a crush. I wouldn't worry about not having a lot of crushes, it might be just because you have your own standards and it's fine. But yes, please try to get to know more people and open up yourself to different kinds of situations. You will find out more about yourself then :slight_smile:

4. wHack

wHack Guest

I'm also not sure if this is of any help, but I feel like I almost could have written this myself. I've found it hard to relate to some of the other posts on here.

Growing up, I always had "puppy crushes" on guys, but I never had a genuine interest in getting to actually know them on a level other than friends. I also have NEVER been sexually attracted to a guy or his body beyond recognizing that they are cute. As my friends transitioned to having very shallow crushes on guys to wanting to have a deeper level of intimacy and sexual relations with them, my interests remained extremely shallow. Maybe it's not, but recently I've thought that maybe it's very telling that I probably have the same depth of interest in guys as a 3rd grader. I've not crushed on anybody since I was 13 (3 years ago), but, like you, I'm also socially isolated with only one friend I occasionally see.

Also, looking back, I truly believe I was crushing on some of my closest friends from when I was younger but I just didn't identify it as such. I would feel somewhat possessive and obsessive. If they would ditch me for somebody else or choose to spend more time with somebody else I would be really upset and jealous about it. I feel like in relation to other people, it extended beyond typical jealousy of friends and more resembled jealousy you'd see in a relationship. I don't remember any physical attraction with them, but I was fairly young. I do sometimes become physically attracted to girls IRL now, though.

When I was still in public school last year there was one girl who I can't decide if what I felt was a crush or a "girl crush". I made zero actual friends throughout the school year, but I had a few people I talked to fairly often in the classroom. She was one of them. She sat in front of me and I would often just observe her, or if it was our other class I would watch her across the room (is that creepfest? idek). I was usually the first in the classroom and the moment I sat down I'd usually just sit facing the door waiting for her to walk in and I'd feel so happy when she did. The class before I'd sometimes be excited to talk to her, even though we didn't talk much and when we did it was about school. I remember one time I passed her in the hallway and she was with a guy who had his arm around her. I felt something at that moment, but I'm unsure what it was. This wasn't like all of the other speculated crushes I had when I was younger, because we weren't close at all. Nothing beyond kind of friends. Hopefully this paragraph didn't make me sound like a creep..

I've been finding the hardest part about pinpointing my orientations is the fact that I've never gotten to the point where I seriously want to be in a relationship with anybody. Part of the reason for this is because I just don't get out much and I don't want to. Maybe like the poster above said, we'll probably have a big crush one day and something more will click instead of mostly speculation.

Sorry if I couldn't offer any advice for you, but I thought maybe just something you (might) relate to might be of any help. (didn't realize this was so long)

#4 wHack, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've felt that way about some people. I do get 'butterflies' sometimes if it's particularly intense, but never any other physical sensation, and I have absolutely no interest in doing anything sexual.

For me, having these 'crushes' obviously depends on meeting people who can trigger them, but whether I'm socially isolated or not, I never feel any desire to have sex. I also get no pleasure from masturbating, which a lot of lonely people still do.

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I usually have a crush on someone at any point in time, I don't develop them very often; I just end up liking the same person for quite a while.

I don't think there's anything abnormal about you. You mentioned that you only have one friend which leads me to believe you probably don't try to meet new people very often. I suspect this is the main reason. While it would be better to have a more active social life (not like I can talk), it doesn't necessarily mean anything -- all it takes is one person. :slight_smile: