1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomboy\Butch - what is the difference?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Edelstein, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    can anyone explain?

2. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a tough one. I always thought of myself as a tomboy or maybe a soft butch, but when I meet a butch I'm treated as the femme in that dynamic, possibly because of personality traits that have nothing to do with my physical presentation. So I have no idea really.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomboy - a girl who shows stereotypically masculine behavior patterns, regardless of her sexual orientation

Butch - a tomboy who is also a lesbian

4. BelleFromHell

A tomboy is a woman who has masculine interests and/or doesn't look or act very femmine, but you can be a little femmine and still be a tomboy.
    A butch is a woman who acts like a man, looks like a man, dresses like a man, has masculine interests, isn't femmine at all whatsoever... you pretty much can't tell that they're a woman unless it's a soft butch.
    So basicly, all butches are tomboys, but not all tomboys are butches.

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

...but she doesn't feel like a man. It's important to make this clear.

6. BelleFromHell

Sorry, I should have explained it more thoroughly.

7. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Butch is hotter
    I think I like butches who are considerate and warm and sensual and loving and think of others with their own needs... I like a butch who pays for activities and food , esp at first! First date it's a must that they pay... Lol

:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2014 at 11:19 AM ----------

Tomboys are sporty... Play sports and are good at it... Look hot on a backwards baseball hat... They love watching sports... Both love opening doors for others... Both like fixing mechanical things and love fixing anything which breaks... They'd put my IKEA a furniture together in exchange for sex/food (lol)

8. Lipstick Leuger

Tomboy is someone who dresses more masculine, or acts not 100% Feminine, but they lack female masculinity. They give off a female vibe, not male. They can date male or female, be straight, gay, or Bi and it's more of a look or way of dressing. They may be confused for a soft butch at first, but the energy is very different.

Butch is a lesbian who has female masculinity. These are the ones who usually have short hair and usually dress more masculine(I say usually as they can wear dresses if they have to, and some butches have longer hair). It is who they are, not how they dress. They just feel like they have male energy. Butches also only date Femmes. Not Lipsticks or men. It is an identity and actual third sex, like Femme is, not just how they look.

This probably made it more confusing, not less! lol

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know butches who are lesbians, are bi, and are totally straight. Growing up, I was considered a tomboy because I liked to do the things the boys liked to do (this was even before I discovered my sexuality) Things like working on cars, fishing, shooting. I beat out a bunch of boys at a shooting contest once, and probably could've gone on to do competitive shooting, but my Mother wouldn't allow it. Said it wasn't ladylike. No one thought I was butch looking.

10. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all guys! So basically tomboy lesbian is a butch.

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Can i ask what is the difference between lipsticks and femmes? :icon_sad:

11. Aelan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I myself would consider to be a tomboy, I'm not really feminine most of the time. I wear jeans and t shirts play video games curse and do all sorts of stuff like that. Even so I do occasionally go out in a really nice dress I have. It's a little low cut so I get to show off lol. But tbh I have no idea what to look for for that kinda stuff, I let my girlfriend pick out what she thinks is good and I wear that. My girl is very feminine in contrast to me but ironically she has very short hair while mine goes down almost to my waist lol. She tells me redheads shouldn't have long hair, I tell her to try and cut to see how long her arm lasts. :lol:

12. Edelstein

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol cute) thanks for sharing)