1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Born this way?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by softsprite, Mar 1, 2014.

1. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been looking at some science on sexual orientation trying to figure out if my orientation really exists...what do you all think?

My ring finger is much longer than my index finger, and that's supposed to mean something.

Do you believe that bisexuals are born this way? Or was I born lesbian and life experiences brought me here? Or was I born straight and just started having sex with women for attention or something? I have no idea. Thoughts?

Lesbians, especially, please respond!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that finger thing is a load of complete crap, the day I start taking orders on my orientation from my fingers is the day I get taken away by the white coats...

As for being born this way...it's debatable but basically, yeah. Personally, I'm not 100% convinced that most people aren't born bisexual and just learn a completely severe aversion to acknowledging same sex attraction, but I'm not scientist or psychologist so that really doesn't mean a lot coming from me!

Either way, the only one who would know if you started having sex with women for attention is you. But that would apply ONLY to you.

3. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha! Well I don't know if I believe in the hand sign either, but it does apply in my case.

I guess fantasy life is a good place to start from, since there's no way I would be thinking about girls alone for attention! I remember when I first discovered masturbation, I would try really hard to only think about boys--but girls would somehow just slip into my head every time. It scared me because it seemed so out of my control. That's the only clue I have to thinking I was born this way. That and dreams.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we know for sure it's not a choice.

Whether it's genetics, prenatal environment, postnatal environment or some combination of multiple factors remains to be determined.

5. Clay

So if your ring finger is longer than your index finger it's supposed to mean you're gay?

In that case, I'm straight.

6. JessicaWolfess

If the ring finger size is suppose to represent your sexuality then I'm the most hetero man in the universe with a 12 pack, two woman on my shoulders and I leak testosterone from every orifice

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the finger thing has any truth to it, it would be an average rather than a hard-and-fast rule.

8. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    The finger ratio thing only applies to lesbians, not gay men. It's actually probably the opposite for gay men. I think it has to do with hormones in the womb or something. Not a sure sign of anything. But scientists do seem fascinated by it.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't believe sexuality is a choice, but I do believe it can change throughout our lives.

I used to be sexually attracted to men. Now I'm not. I think my life experiences just generally changed that.

10. Querying

I looked into this a little more, and I found an article. There's stuff about men there, but I don't believe I'm a man (but here, one can never really be sure...), so I'll stick to the stuff about women. However, y'all can look into that here: What your finger length tells about you

According to the article, longer ring fingers are linked to getting more testosterone in the womb, and so therefore, as depicted in the second-to-last figure, a much longer index finger is linked with high feminity, fertility, and likelihood to get breast cancer. Most womens' two fingers are approximately the same length. However, having a longer index finger is linked to homosexuality, autism, masculinity, left-handedness, and having an overall more male-brained system (and doing better in maths than in verbal/literacy-related areas).

My index finger is indeed the shorter of my two fingers, though not by much. I am probably homosexual, but I don't believe that I am autistic, or left-handed (though ironically enough, today of all days, not even after reading the article, but before, I've been doing everything accidentally with my left hand...), nor do I believe I am better at maths than literacy - or at least I hope not. I am told I have an aptitude for mathematics, and I used to excel in them, but then I got into a much higher-level class, and I am no longer near the top of my class. Alternatively, I score extremely well in English class (though other languages are my worst nightmare).

I'm not completely sure what I ought to make of this. i fit into some of the categories, but not all... However, I believe that the theory of a link between such characteristics is real and definite, if not constant.

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like this bit:

Incidentally, my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers, and I'm autistic and asexual.