1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid of the future...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jarklor, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jarklor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 15 and gay. However, I'm afraid I will never find love. People say that gay people live their whole life dating different people and breaking up with them. I'm afraid my life will be like this. :frowning2: I want a romantic relationship. Will it get better after highschool? What are the best ways to find love?

I'm afraid... please help.

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Things are ALWAYS getting better. Just keep pushing through school and things will eventually look up. I honestly think you should wait until the time is right. It's hard to be gay in high school. There is no doubt about it. It'll be easier to find relationships in college. People have grown into themselves more by that time and aren't constantly picking on people(although you do still those select few). The point is, if you want to find true love it WILL come. You don't have to live your life in dumb stereotypes. You will eventually find love, like everyone else. Don't worry too much!

3. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're only 15. When I was your age most people were not out about their sexuality yet. It is possible to have a romantic relationship, rather than just dating a bunch of people and breaking up with them. Let whatever is going to happen happen. As far as meeting people, if your school has an lgbt program you could become involved in that. If you live in a large city, you could try to search and see if your town has a lgbt youth group. You'll be able to meet a bunch of people there.

4. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Growing up I had a gay couple living across the street from my house. They'd been living there for many years when we moved in when I was five. I'm 28 now and, last summer when I went back to my parents house, they were still there... they've been together longer than my parents who both married and divorced once prior to their marriage to each other. Long tem romance is possible regardless of orientation.

5. sexwax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would have to agree gay or straight most marriages nowadays don't last has nothing to do with sexual orientation it's just harder for gays in a sense not most people are out to themselves or to other people creating problems in a relationship if society was more accepting like its getting there would be more people to date that are interested in what you are

6. 13Iceflowers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure how much more I can say because so many good points have been touched here already, but here's my two cents.

You're only 15, only halfway through your high school career. There's still A LOT to learn about life and even high school. Junior and Senior years are incredibly intense on the emotions and the growing pains are never over. It's especially harder if you're gay. So I understand where you're coming from. I myself once felt that love was impossible for me, and even today, I still have days where I think that I might not be able to find 'the one' that I would settle down with.

One piece of advice that's been given to me is that before you can fall in love with someone, you have to be at peace with yourself. You need to love yourself first before you can start to love one another. Otherwise, how can you love?

Are you at peace being gay? Do you feel comfortable in your own shoes?

These are questions you need to ask yourself before you can fall in love. Things like labels and orientations do not and should not matter in a relationship. What matters is the love that is being shared.

7. Will2M

^ this. Very good advice.

8. AKTodd

Three thoughts here:

1) Most straight people spend a chunk of their lives dating different people and breaking up with them until they find someone they 'click' with to such a degree that they mutually decide to get married. Although even then, a good chunk of them will divorce and possibly remarry (sometimes more than once).

So basically, orientation is not a guarantee of luck in relationships one way or the other.

2) My partner and I have been together 17yrs now. Last night we had dinner with three lesbian couples from a Meetup group we belong to. Two were married (one very recently, one for some years now) and the third couple is getting married in August. Another couple we know from the same group (who weren't there last night) got married last year.

We're planning to get married sometime in the next year or two (there are various logistics and cost issues).

Point being that long term committed relationships are perfectly possible for LGBT people.

3) And finally, there's this:

60 Moments That Gave Me The Chills During Seattle's First Day Of Marriage Equality

which is mainly intended to hopefully make you feel good. But is also intended to give you an idea of how many committed couples there are out there.

Hope this helps,

Todd