1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why or How?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by anonymous7, Mar 11, 2014.

1. anonymous7

anonymous7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just a few probing questions on what makes people 'feel' gay or experience same Sex attraction. I would be grateful to hear your responses to these probing questions..

Did you tell yourself you were gay? Or was it a little voice in your head?

Do you 'feel' gay because of the pressures associated with the typical 'straight' person? Or do you 'feel' gay because of how it allows you to express freely in a new form without any expectations?

Or are you gay because you simply do not find women/men sexually attractive, and therfore, on the other hand, are attracted to the male/female species.. And why do you think this is? What is it that draws you towards the same Sex attraction? And what deters you from females/males?

These are just questions aimed to dig deeper into the possibly causes/effects underlying same Sex attractions.

I am doing a study and would love to hear your responses and even diversions from these topics..

Muchos thankos

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Do you 'feel' gay because of the pressures associated with the typical 'straight' person?"

Am I reading this wrong or are you actually sitting here asking us if we are gay because it's somehow easier than being straight?

3. anonymous7

anonymous7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sorry I was not intending to offend, I guess in some ways you could say it was 'easier' because you don't have to conform as much, and in detaching yourself from the overpowering norms of society, may allow you to be somewhat more of a free spirited individual. Once again sorry if it offended.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that I'm offended, it's more that you may have expressed the most laughable thought I have ever heard.

Not only are we still expected to conform to traditional roles (ask any gay couple how many times they've been asked "So who's the guy/girl"), we are also frequently ridiculed for not conforming to gay stereotypes ("You don't look/act gay").

We are held to more, higher standards than most people ever knew existed.

" it allows you to express freely in a new form without any expectations?"

Again, it's not expression in a 'new form', it's exactly the same form. I would express my love for a woman the same way I would for a man. I express LOVE, not 'gay love'. And again, there are expectations from every angle, in ways most people can't imagine.

If a straight married couple hate each other, that's life.
    If a gay married couple hate each other it's proof gay relationships don't work.
    If a straight couple publicly display MINOR FORMS of affection (holding hands, hugging) it's mostly fine, if a gay couple does it its offensive to a lot of people.

We are expected to answer questions about are sex lives a straight person would never be asked.
    We are expected to take abuse on the chin because it comes with 'the lifestyle'.
    We are expected to fit a specific set of stereotypes - see "Are you a Will?" or "But you're not butch"
    We are expected to fit GENDER roles that don't apply - see "Do you wish you had a penis?"
    We are expected to still have straight urges - see "you've not met the right woman", "What if *celebrity* walked in begging you for sex
    The list goes on and on and on.

To answer your other questions though:

Did you tell yourself you were gay? Or was it a little voice in your head?
    Neither. I realised by accident.

"Or are you gay because you simply do not find women/men sexually attractive, and therfore, on the other hand, are attracted to the male/female species.. "
    Male/female are not a species, let's get that out of the way first. Anyway, personally I have potential to find any gender (or no gender) attractive (there are lots).

And why do you think this is? What is it that draws you towards the same Sex attraction? And what deters you from females/males?
    What draws me to the same sex...I like cute girls. I find girls physically attractive more often than guys. I'm not deterred from men, there are some things I don't like but otherwise they are basically fine.

Note, those answers apply for me only.

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not trying to be a drag and I admit my knowledge is limited to watching my partner go thorough grad school but is this just a "kill some time' study or an actual study for school or something? The reason I ask is because the questions I put in bold is actually the same question twice(i.e. the "voice in my head" is the same as "myself"). I mean, I think you meant to ask if someone consciously decided they were gay or just knew it subconsciously. So I get it but if you're doing this for school I would consider re-wording or you'll get skewed data.

6. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah...sooo...the trouble with saying you're gay (or bi for that matter) because it allows you to be your "free-spirited self" is that lying about your sexuality is that eventually you'd have to answer for it when someone of the same-sex asks you out. That's one issue. The other is that homophobia is still very real and in a lot of countries you can be put in jail (or worse) for being gay. So. Yeah. I can't imagine what would compel someone to do that. Although I guess some people might presume they're gay when they don't find the opposite sex attractive, and then realize they aren't attracted to the same sex either, in which case they would be bisexual. And it's possible that a transgender person who hasn't explored the possibility of being trans might presume themselves to be gay because they don't feel comfortable sexually but can't figure out why yet. Or of course a bisexual who first recognizes same-sex attraction in themselves might call themselves gay before settling into a bisexual identity. So it can happen.

As for causes, most of it is biological and there's good science on that. Look it up! Homosexuality exists in many species, not just humans.