1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romantic feelings vs sexual feelings: why can't they just match up?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bamagirl, Mar 16, 2014.

1. bamagirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've had this feeling for a while that I'm bisexual. I definitely am sometimes attracted to girls and have been able to admit that to myself for about 4 years now. I sometimes fantasize about girls and have fooled around with one of my best friends from back home on two separate occasions, so yes, there is definitely some physical attraction. But I'm more attracted to guys, I think, at least on a physical level. I tend to fantasize about sex with them more (I'd say the percentages are about 80 male, 20 female), and in my limited experience, fooling around with guys feels better than fooling around with girls.

But being emotionally in love with a girl was somehow past the boundary I was comfortable with. I was ok with the sexual feelings, but I never thought I'd be in love with a girl until I met my now best friend about 8 months ago. But I am. I've come to admit this to myself, that I am in love with her. I adore her, she brightens up my day when I see her, I miss her after even just a day apart and I'd pick her over my boyfriend of one year no questions asked. She's beautiful, intelligent, kind, warm and on the rare occasions that she spends the night, her warm body against mine makes my heart soar. Just laying my head on her shoulder in silence while we play jenga against each other on our phones or watch netflix has become one of my favorite pastimes and she's the first and last person I text every day. I can never talk about her enough and god help anyone who ever hurts her because I'd kill for that girl. But…I cannot bring myself to think about her sexually. Is she sexy? Yes. Am I attracted to her? Yes? I don't know why, but for some reason it feels like thinking about her sexually is somehow crossing a line. I don't know why it makes me so uncomfortable and I feel so confused about it…why is it that I'm ok with having one (sexual feelings) or the other (romancing feelings) but not both at the same time??

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bisexually isn't always 50/50 it's not for every bisexual
    Some bisexual are homoromantic more emotionally and sexually attracted to the same sex only wanting sex with the opposite
    some bisexuals are heteromantic more emotionally and sexually attracted to the opposite sex and only wanting just sex with the opposite .
    or you could be still not comfortable with the idea of being more than just sexual with a woman .
    Just because your bi doesn't mean you have to like both sexes the same way . some bisexuals are 50/50 others aren't some are 80/20 some are 90/10 .

3. bamagirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know, but I think it's more that with men I'm fine with being physically and emotionally attracted to them. With women it's one or the other, but somehow I feel weird being both emotionally and physically attracted to them at the same time?

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm confuse on what you meant saying you felt weird being both emotionally and physically attracted to them at the same time are you talking about women ?
    if that's so then I think you hadn't accepted the fact that your attracted to the same sex and your still not use to it

5. Oh, yes, I understand this so much. I fall in love with my girlfriends like this, but sexually I cannot bring myself to think of them in that way. It just doesn't work/turn me on. I'm way more into guys sexually and I guess a bit more into women romantically. I've also been with women sexually and I always end up missing men.

I'm also married to a wonderful man. Being bisexual or mismatched can be really confusing. I totally understand.

6. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I think for some people it just takes time. The mind forms ruts in the sand based on the expectations of the cultures we live in, and either those feelings come or they don't as we grow and change as human beings.

#6 rainmustfall, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  7. Uranian

Uranian Guest

Only you can know the answer to that.

Do you never ever have sexual attraction and romantic attraction for either sex at the same time or are you just deliberately necrotizing the one over the other because of an uncomfortable truth? In other words, are you sexually or romantically sabotaging yourself out of some kind of fear (internal or external)?

I'm not saying that you are doing these things. And I'm definitely not judging you at all (please believe me on that) but I am, and I'm sure many other peeps on here are, keenly aware of the power of self-mythology and denial. It's such a corrosive force.

Can I just re-iterate I was totally not being judgemental towards you in any way (I'm only asking the questions because I was previously on here under another sobriquet and I wasn't completely truthful and so I fucked off in a fire-y blaze of unhappiness because, quite rightly, people feel this is a place where they can come to be accepted and in so accepting we can feel as advice-givers that we shouldn't ask questions as that might make people go down the rabbit-hole and disappear, but really to ask questions is probably better than giving advice seeing as that most of us probably aren't professionally trained people so giving advice might be far less perceptive than actually being inquisitive and the point being is I might have stayed here last time if some people had asked me questions, not that they [and I include myself in the advice I've given since being back] should know, only that they might be inhibited from asking questions because they want to be embracing but this possibly isn't the best approach).

Hopefully you yada yada yada'd that and won't feel like I'm attacking you with my questions. Because I'm here to help. We're here to help. But we're mostly untrained (I think).

Anyway, you are you. And that's a beautiful thing.

(!)

#7 Uranian, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014