1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LKaeleon, Mar 16, 2014.

1. LKaeleon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it possible.. To change?
    Does anyone know of any instances when someone has changed their sexuality?
    Please spare me the "Be proud of who you are".
    The world is a terrible place.. Thus causing my life to revolve around hiding everything I am. I want it over with.
    Please help me.

2. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

Some people do change over time, but it is more something that just happens, not a choice that they make. You can't really force yourself to be one way or another, but some people choose to deny a part of themselves. So whether you take pride in who you are or not, that is who you are and with time that may evolve, but not by your choosing it per say.

3. Uranian

Uranian Guest

As Rainmustfall said, some people choose to deny part of themselves but this isn't especially a queer thing, it's an any-sexual thing. I had a friend who would only ever fuck obese women but ended up marrying a very thin woman. I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy fucking his skinny wife but I can't help but think that there is part of him who either wishes she would put on some weight or he still fantasises about bigger women. The point is most people deny part of their sexuality at one time or another particularly if you are in a closed relationship. Show me a person who claims they only have sexual thoughts about their partner and I'll show you a liar.*

*WARNING: This might not be very scientific.

4. IWontLetGo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of see sexuality to be more fluid than most would think. When I was younger (middle school age) I thought I liked girls. I found them attractive, but I never wanted to start- and currently have never had- a relationship with one. Soon as I hit 15 I had a MAJOR crush on a guy and then my feelings towards women started waning. Now, I can only imagine myself with a guy physically and emotionally. I consider myself to be gay, but I cant rule out the (small) possibility of having a relationship with a girl or someone else on the genger spectrum, so I generally identify as pansexual. This may or may not completely answer your question, but I'd just go with the flow and trust your gut. No one can tell you who or what you like.

Edit: Love the Doctor Who sig by the way. :slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general, the answer is that, according to everything we currently know in the field, it is not possible to change one's sexual orientation. Even the founder of Exodus, the largest "ex-gay" program in the world, publicly apologized for starting and running an organization that claimed to be able to change people's sexual orientation. After years of "treating" tens of thousands of people, their success rate was abysmally low, and the few people that they "converted" were people who weren't gay in the first place.

All of the major psychology/psychiatry associations are on record saying that there's no evidence that sexual orientation can be changed, and that therapies and attempts to do so are often harmful.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Being proud of who you are may not seem possible right now, but learning to accept who you are could be a good first step, and EC is a great place to work on that issue.

6. Yosia

Very much people including me have tried to change and cant, its who you are ^.^

7. thrnvlpidj

If we don't change, we aren't making progress.

Will changing your sexuality make the world not a terrible place?

Nothing wrong with hiding things from time to time. Caterpillars do it, and when they're ready they make the world a more beautiful place.