1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you in a relationship before you knew for sure what your sexuality was?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by rainwater, Mar 20, 2014.

1. rainwater

rainwater Guest

Lately, I feel like I've been teetering somewhere between being straight and being bisexual. I know I'm attracted to guys, and I think I might be attracted to girls, but I wouldn't feel right telling someone I was bisexual. I feel like I might be jumping to conclusions or something since I've never actually been in a relationship with a guy or a girl. I'm just worried that I may feel a certain way now, but if I were to actually get a girlfriend or boyfriend, I might feel totally different about things :confused:. My social skills are virtually nonexistent, so I don't know how to go about trying to meet people and figuring this out :icon_sad:.

When you discovered that you were gay, bisexual, etc. , had you already been in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, or did you know beforehand and entering a relationship with someone confirmed it for you?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are people who begin their 'journey' by identifying as bisexual and then move towards being gay (or straight) over time. It's absolutely fine to do that. Some bisexual people are strongly attracted to one sex or another, but still maintain their bisexuality and that's fine too. It really is only a label (well, I think so anyway).

Personally, I waited until I was sure I was gay, but that took me a long time and a fair bit of emotional distress along the way as I went deeper and deeper into the closet. With hindsight, it might have been better for me to have met someone earlier and see how it developed. Sure, it might not have worked out, but going through years of torment wasn't particularly healthy either.

If you do find yourself in a relationship that's not working it might hurt a little to bring it to an end, but these things do happen. I didn't find Mr Right at the first attempt and many others will say the same.

It's not bad to find yourself on a journey of self discovery. Throughout our lives, we are always discovering new things about ourselves. There is no reason why sexuality shouldn't be one of those things.

3. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really have a history because of my upbringing and lack of interest until very recently, but now that I've awakened to my sexuality I adamantly refuse to enter any sort of romantic relationship until I'm more or less out.

4. Im Just Me

I've dated guys pretty constantly since 7th grade. Break up with one, date the next pretty quickly after. It was just assumed "of course I like guys" so I kept dating them. (Now I kind of think maybe I didn't want a chance to doubt myself.)
    I realized dating my last boyfriend I liked girls. It took a while, but I accepted my bisexuality.
    However, since dating my current boyfriend, I have become really aware just how much I like girls, and how drastically I prefer them to guys. I've even been questioning being a lesbian. :/

With what you are saying...I never really came out as bisexual when I realized, exactly, because of the same sort of thoughts. However, if asked directly, I would tell someone. And there were a couple people who themselves were LGBT who I ended up confessing what I'd been feeling to. But mostly, I kept it under wraps.
    In the end thoguh I don't think keeping it under wraps did anything particular for me. I don't know if coming out would have, either, except maybe made me realize how strongly I felt for girls sooner. That would have been nice, as maybe I could have figured myself out and experimented or something before jumping into another relationship.

5. IsThisAName

I've only been in relationships with guys (and not even anything serious) and I know I'm bisexual. But I wasn't always so certain. Actually until a couple weeks ago I was still trying to tell myself I was straight and questioning whether I was bi.

My thoughts were a lot like yours. You do not have to have been with a certain gender to know your sexuality. It's kinda the same thing as when someone comes out as gay, and they're told that they can't know they're gay if they haven't had sex with the opposite sex--that's so not true.

If you are attracted to girls, you could be bisexual, you don't have to have been with girls to know that. I've never been with a girl. Right now you may feel uncertain about it all, but give things time to sink in. A month ago I was trying to tell myself I was straight and that I could never date a girl. However, now I'm possibly about to enter a relationship with a girl and it feels totally right. Give your mind time to figure things out and you will get more comfortable. Don't be afraid to figure out that you are bi--it's a wonderful thing and I grow to love it more every day! It takes some getting used and it can be confusing, but it's fun being able to appreciate the beauty in everyone.

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    My only experience of an actual relationship was a very innocent one (as in no sex) with a boy when I was in my teens. Although I didn't understand my sexuality at the time this experience was a pretty big indicator that there was something different about me, I didn't like him in the same way he liked me and I hated kissing with him. I did attempt to date a couple of other boys but it never went any further because I just didn't like them. I've never had the opportunity to go out with a woman but I know I am very strongly attracted to them. In a way it does make it a bit more difficult when you're inexperienced to know, but in my case I figured it out/accepted it eventually regardless.