1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion vs. Sexuality ?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mmmike, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Mmmike

I know this is a very touchy subject and it has been talked about a lot on this site. But i am really confused right now and i am just looking for other people's opinions about what i have to say.

I'm really starting to think about converting to Christianity. But with that comes the fact that homosexuality is considered a sin. And i know that i shouldn't try not to be whatever orientation that i am because of religion but i am starting to question everything. Like just when i started to figure out who i am i have to go and decide this. A couple of my friends are a part of a youth group that i'd like to join but i don't want to feel uncomfortable hiding the fact that i am attracted to guys. But i don't know if i would be able to come out to them without feeling awkward and possible guilty because it is frown upon. my friends say that it doesn't matter and the group is very accepting but i just dont know what to do. I would never try to be something i'm not.

So what do you think i should do ? Get in touch with God ; or with homosexuality ?

2. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Get in touch with both.
    Yes, most of the Christian religions frown upon homosexuality, but there are some groups that understood that God's message is a love message, not a hate or rejection one. Now, I don't know if the group you want to join is a catholic group or now, however Catholic church do not frown against homosexuality, but homosexual behavior: They want us "closeted", or at least, out but have no sexual encounters, such as the priests do.

In my experience, I am out to some people at church and they are able to see beyond my sexuality. They can see I help at church and I am an active member that basically follows all commandments --pfft, I try >___>.

If you feel like you can't choose both, you will need to do a deep study of both of them. Which will do better for you. Would you be happier being gay, in a relationship, etc.etc. but trying to search God during your whole life? Or would you like to be as near as the Church as you can but without having any relationship or sex life?

Another thing that you need to know: To get to know God and to be with him, you don't have to be necessarily on a church. God goes beyond beliefs. Get a Bible and read. Read it and pray. You will get closer to God without being in a church, and then you can decide. But God is beyond a temple or a beautiful cathedral. God is inside our hearts, of course, if we open the door.

Now, in my personal opinion, I believe that God has no frowning upon homosexuality and that he only condemns the unmoral or irresponsible acts, such as if it would be a straight relationship (cheating, having sex before... I'd say marriage, however I like to re-format it into a civil unions or something way more serious than "sleepovers", etc). Am I still struggling with finding that safe spot between God and Homosexuality? Yes. Will I leave either both if necessary: No. God is my friend and I am gay. If Gods loves me, he loves me gay.

Whew, that was long.

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

well i know a gay guy that just converted to christianity. i think that you can do both. also there are some types of christianity that accepts/is okay with gays. don't think that you have to pick one or the other. just be yourself and be happy with your God too. you can also be religious without having an actual religon.

4. Sam

Sam

I say do what you feel you want to do. Since you said you wouldn't try to be something you're not then as long as you keep that in mind I see nothing wrong with it. I think you should get in touch with both, find out who you are and what makes you happy. I sincerely hope your experience will be different than mine. I was part of a youth group, went to a camp every summer, attended church every sunday but the church I attended wasn't very accepting of homosexuality so I got tired of it and stopped going.

Not all churches are like mine was, there are a lot of churches that are accepting so I wouldn't worry about it too much if you want to be there then you should. You will have your friends there for support. You are 16, now is the time to try new things and discover what makes you happy.

Good luck
    Sam

5. myra

I wouldn't come out to the people at the church. in all honesty. I've been raised Christian all my life and when the people at my church found out that i'm bi, they freaked. The minister began aiming all his sermon's at me,telling me i was going to hell. I'm not saying don't get in touch with god though. I actually thought of this not too long ago.

Have you ever heard of Oscar Schindler? or seen the movie schindler's list? Anyway, Schindler was a very wealthy business man who liked to sleep around. He did before and during his marriage. (His wife even knew of it.) Now...because of this minor sin, churches claim he would go to hell, since he was unrepentent of it. Now take this into acount. By hiring thousands of jews to work in his factory, Schindler saved that many lives during the holocost. Would he really be going to hell now?

What i'm trying to say is, Christianity will tell you that being gay is wrong. But compare it to the other sins, and it means nothing. I'm assuming your a good person. You dont run around murdering people and you probably help out when youre needed. You can still believe in god, worship him, and go to heaven as long as you live a good life. Love god and you're good to go. Schindler for sure did not go to hell because he slept around.--You won't just because your gay. Get in touch with both sides. Just...make sure you know where your church stands on homosexuality. Its not up to them to decide your a good christian. That's between you and god alone. No one else.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of all the possible religions you could explore, Christianity is, hands down, one of the most anti-gay. To me, there's no contest between homosexuality and "God:" homosexuality every time!

That being said, there's no reason for you not to explore spirituality. I just wouldn't ever, EVER suggest anyone go towards Christianity, whether they were gay or not. There are plenty of other forms of worship out there that have nowhere near the baggage of Christianity, so why go for something that, uhm... that... problematic, let's say.

It sounds a lot like you're interested in Christianity because your friends are involved in it, and while that's a really common reason to join a religion (i.e. we often by default stay with our parents' religion if they happened to have one), it's a pretty lousy one, overall, if it means you're going to either be told you're an abomination or going to have to hide a pretty big part of your feelings. Wanting to belong to a community is a very basic human need, but you can fulfill that either with other types of groups (i.e. non-religious) or religious groups that aren't going to by default start out making you feel like shit.

So I'd do some serious thinking about why it is Christianity appeals to you... and whether you're willing to put up with the very huge proportion of Christians (especially in the US), who at best "disapprove" of being gay. At worst they're blaming us for terrorist attacks, hurricanes, and--at times--earthquakes. Oh yeah, and the downfall of modern civilization.

7. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I'm curious as to why you chose Christianity. Perhaps you should check out Islam and see if that would work better for you. If not then whatever, Islam isn't for everyone.

8. interstella

Islam and homosexuality don't mix. You can be executed for being gay in most Islamic countries. It's one of the reasons I'm now atheist.

9. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Well here in America, at least in Pittsburgh, the guys and gals that I know who practice Islam don't have an issue with us gays. They think it is wrong, but they do not judge you based on it. At my workplace, my boss and a huge majority of our customers practice Islam, yet ~75% of the workers there are either gay or bisexual (which is totally sweet!). But I think you may be right about the religion and the orientation not mixing.

Perhaps you could be a Buddhist? Or maybe you could mix some religions. As long as you believe in god and pray to him he won't care what religion you chose to "label" yourself with. From what I understand all one needs to appease the big ole lord is love for him and thy neighbors. You don't have to necessarily love Christ either, so that shouldn't influence your decision on which religion to choose. Honestly if you're confused about it you should just make up your own religion, where you worship god privately and just be the best person you can be. Who needs a church anyways, that's so last week! :smilewave

Good luck with whatever you figure out :slight_smile:
    D

10. Chris

Try both! I think that there are some groups of christians that are accepting of gays! Also try and be yourself if it isn't working try another group! Good luck!!!:slight_smile:

11. Trumpetplyer23

I was baptized Luthren and I spent a year at a Catholic school. Now, Catholicism isn't the most accepting of the all of the Christian groups, but that means you just don't join there.

Not every church is the WBC, with their 'God Hates Fags'. Quite frankly, I don't think God really cares if you have sex with men, women, or both. He cares about the kind of person you are on the inside. He sees the good in everyone, because he's God. He's not some wrathful meanie that bosses people around for being gay/bi/whatever.

There are parts of the Bible (Romans and Leviticus mainly) that condemn homosexuality, but if you read the thing, you'll find that some of the stuff that is condemned are considered normal and non-sinful. Look at Leviticus, it condemns the eating of shellfish, getting a haircut, shaving, and wearing clothes of two different fibers.

Any religion, if used in the right way can enrich your life and maybe even encourage you to help others. That's what religion is about, enriching your life, not guaranteeing yourself a spot in heaven or hell. It's not about condemning others or judging them. That's God's decision.

As for people at the church not being accepting. Well, I have a friend, her family is Catholic, and she accepts me for who I am. I mean, she doesn't go to church every Sunday, but I know her dad is extremely homophobic. She's not, not everyone who is Christian are homophobes. Ya just gotta find the right group. Good luck :slight_smile:

12. RuralMedAU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, I am a Christian and a gay man. I struggled with reconciling the two for many years and have only with in the past few years been able to do so.

That being said, I agree with almost everyone on this thread. You have to find what is right for you. I'm not one of those Christians who uses the Bible as weapon and I don't read it literally either. I believe it should be read with an open mind and the knowledge of the history and context of when it was written.

It angers me when I see gay people who are harmed by Christians. Anyone, who uses the Bible, Jesus, and God to condemn and exclude people is in need of a better understanding of their religion. If the Bible could be summed up in a simple phrase it would be "Love God, Love People". Its that simple.

I suggest that anyone interested in the subject of Christianity and Homosexuality watch the documentary film, "For the Bible Tells Me So". It is an amazing film and I watch once a month. Go buy it if you have the money, otherwise here is a link to the entire thing on google video, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8079306618277312330

Mmmike if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

God Bless

13. MeskElil

I'm both. Trust me, you can do it.
    Yes, there is prejudice, but the basic idea of Christianity is to get in touch with God. I'm a very...introverted Christian. I never go to church unless forced to (Catholic school and all), but I still have a deep relationship with God. It's a will-power thing.
    And here's the verse most quoted...pay attention to the bold:

"For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Whoever believes in him.
    We're all sinners--every one of us. So if Christianity condemns homosexuals as people going to hell, they should ask themselves, "Have you lied? Have you cheated? Have you disobeyed your father and mother?"
    Everyone sins. But God still loves us more than anything in the world (because, hey, he created this world for US!) and he'll accept us as long as we accept him.

As I have said in previous threads, however, there is more than one way up a mountain. I believe that all religions are valid, because in the end we're all headed for the same place, right?

So I hope that helps...you can be both. Just be confident in your faith and in your ability to live a life in Christ. I recommend a book called The Power of a Praying Teen by Stormie Omartian. It's very well-constructed and helpful. It will help you get into one-on-one conversations with God, which is the most important aspect of Christianity.

I hope this helps!

-Mesk

14. Endlessnight500

WOW. That was an amazing Video. Im in that possition right now. I'm looking in to as mush as I can about Religion Vs Sexuality... I am a Christian. I am Gay. Its so confusing tho. I don't understand so much. I just got back from a Christain camp, just a couple of days ago. It was one of the most amazing experiances of my life. You know what. The topic of Homosexuality was brought up SO many times. Even in the Guys Dorm. It was a topic I dreaded being brought up. I mean I was so afraid of that topic there, because of how I as a Gay guy have become to percive the Chruch. You know what tho. All of those fears were shattered. These people said they don't agree with it. Sure they said they see it as a sin, but the way they said it. They were angry at how people percieved them for being Christian, because none of them hated GBTL people. NONE OF THEM. It was a huge viel lifted from infront of me. None of them new that I was Gay. Still, they they stood against how Gay people where treated, and Felt that everyone should be loved. They in the Guys Dorms while we were all in our boxers and sleep clothes, ready for lights out, Spoke out against how Gay people are subject to hate. They...being people ages 17 to 23 (including our councilers)...said Christians should LOVE EVERYONE. It really got to me. These guys not only felt that way, but felt it strongly enought not to put up a mocho front in front of guys in the Dorm. Sure I bet it was hard, and I did since alittle fronting at the beginings of the conversation, but when they realized that people agreed with them it was gone. I dont know why that got to me. A group of young guys, people who to me, seem like they would be the most homophobic people of all, were so accepting.

One thing that was really preached at the camp was that Christianity is more known for what We stand against than what we stand for. The preachers are right tho. The 2 weeks i was there, one thing that they really tought us, what they focused on, is what a Christain really should be. Vertues of a true Christian. It was inspiring. I am a Christian, and I am Gay. Im still looking to understand what that means, but regardless, it is what I am.

(sorry for spelling Errors, and Grammatic Issues, its been a long day, and a can hardly spell when in fully awake lol.)

15. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Honestly, you don't have to be Christian to follow the path(s) of God. I truly believe that you can have any religion you wish and still reach God. You don't even need a religion if you're that picky.

Also, it really bugs me that people don't believe in God because of the extremities of religion, seeing as people link God with religion and not spirituality.

Plus, I don't see WHY homosexuality is a "sin." What makes it a sin? What makes it the same as killing someone? Geez. What is sin defined as then? :confused:

16. jony8472

Haha, the never-ending kenumdrum.

Well... I'm pretty sure I'm gay... and although I'm not OVERLY religious, I'm still proud to call myself a Catholic.
    Now, without getting all cliche like, the message God sends is love, and embrace, so I figure practice what you preach:eusa_clap

Love God, but also love yourself

alright... that did come across as slightly cliched, but I HOPE I made my point=]

17. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm seeing so many great responses here I'm hesitant to add mine, but I'll just summarize my thoughts.

I think a gay Christian (or a gay person of faith generally) is in a unique position because being gay can be embraced as an invitation to explore the relationship between sexuality and spirituality. With the right self-acceptance and willingness to be with the questions and doubt, gayness can help you understand God from a unique perspective.

Being gay makes one an outsider, can cause suffering, and demands that you stand your ground with homophobia still all too common. These struggles against the "tyranny of the majority" were part and parcel of what Jesus experienced. Or to broaden this idea beyond Christianity, suffering is often viewed as a spiritual lesson in disguise. If we led perfectly normal lives we might never feel the need to ask the deeper questions about life.

To me, sex is a gift from our Creator and it tells me that we are meant to experience joy in the physical body. I believe that the church (including the Christian church) has for many years clamped down on sexuality as a means of control. I think that a church *can* be a path toward knowing God, but the only *sure* way to know God is to go within yourself. You will likely find as a gay man that this requires a special kind of faith in yourself that defies the doubt and even hatred that we endure.

Why should we not have faith that we're already complete, whole, and perfect? Why does the Christian concept of "original sin" have to mean that we're always on a treadmill of trying to improve ourselves, repenting, and reaching for an impossible standard of perfection? This is convenient for an established church that wants to stay "established". To the contrary, Zen Buddhism and a number of eastern faiths teach acceptance of what is as a path to wisdom or enlightenment.

As I wrote to a guy contemplating whether to marry a woman he considered a "best friend" but not an erotic mate - the natural libido is trying to tell us something, and if you practice acceptance, that "something" is good, trustworthy, and likely of God. The natural appreciation of handsome men, the appreciation of the many facets of male beauty, and the sheer awe of masculinity - to me these are all characteristics of a mystery that's divine in origin, not from man.

So, if you bring your entire self to your faith (whether it be Christianity or another faith) you bring your sexual self as well. Far from a dirty act condemned to shame and secrecy, sex is a sacred gift that we give those we really care about and feel a natural urge to be with. As I learn to accept my sexuality and overcome years of homophobia, this gift seems to be more and more amazing. To appreciate the relationship of sex to spirituality and spirituality to sex honors them both.

I've written a long post here; my apologies. But in summary I would recommend adopting a perspective of acceptance, and broadening your experience beyond the church to include sprirituality and even possibly an understanding or connection with other religions. On the whole I think these may help you celebrate your gayness as a facet of your beauty as a spriritual being. The formality of the church should not intimidate or demean a gay person of faith.

*warm hugs and much love*

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

18. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist but I have no problem with people that believe in a God.

There need not be any conflict between being gay and belief in a God.

A lot of 'Christian' churches keep quoting the old testament to prop-up their bigotry. If you actually read the gospels; Jesus said that the only rule that matters is to love your neighbor. (at one stage I would have been able to quote chapter and verse). So true Christianity is not homophobic.

All religions have extremists and reasonable loving people. Or as I would put it some religious people are loving and others have a special imaginary friend that tells them weird shit.

For you, I think there are a lot of 'gay friendly' churches out there. (I even know of a gay friendly mosque, but I don't think you'd be interested)
    Keep looking for the right church for you.

19. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whether it is okay to be gay and Christain or at least accepted by Christians as a gay depends entirely on which Christians you're talking to. If there is one this I know about Christians is their beliefs vary depending on what church you're in. Seems like you've found yourself a Love Your Neighbor church. I'm sure they have multiple verses to back why they feel this way, but so do the Christians who hate gays. I just recently became an atheist, and one of the reasons was how contradictory the Bible is. However, the choice is yours. (Though, I recommend you do some research on religion and atheism so you have all the facts before you dedicate your life to something this big.)

All that aside, when I was still a Christian and slowly realizing I'm lesbian, I researched the whole "Can you be gay and Christian" thing and found that it's entirely possible and doesn't have to be viewed as a sin. (Like most things in the Bible, it's open to interpretation) I even convinced my older sister to look into it and she emailed me this:

The Bible says nothing specifically about the homosexual condition (despite the rather misleading RSV translation of 1 Corinthians 6:9).

The exegesis of the Sodom and Gibeah stories (Genesis19, Judges 19) is a good case in point. On both occasions the sin condemned was attempted homosexual rape, not a caring homosexual relationship between consenting partners.

The force of the other Old Testiment references to homosexuality is similarly limited by the context in which they are set. Viewed strictly within their context, these OT condemnations apply to homosexual activity conducted in the course of idolatry.

There is more on it as well. But basically that sums it up. Being gay isn't straight-up condemned by God.