1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I tell people that I am gay when I'm not sure myself?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Questioning22, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Questioning22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I am trying to figure out my sexual orientation. I have been questioning for about a year now but I think I am leaning towards liking woman. So that leads me to the next thing, I have never been in a relationship with a guy or a girl which I quess makes it harder to tell which way I lean towards. But I am tired of people talking about my future husband, asking me if I like any boys. I just want to yell no I don't like any guys, I like woman. But because I am not intirely sure that I am a lesbian I don't know if I should come out? Has anyone got any advice? Is anyone in a similar position?

2. Paradoxx

@Questioning22 I completely understand, considering I'm in the very same position. I'm not yet certain if I'm bisexual or a lesbian, however if I were to be bi then I believe I'd lean towards woman anyway, and it kills my confidence when my parents or an extended family member asks if I have a boyfriend yet or if there's any guys at my school that I'm interested in.
    I'd kind of appreciate advice on this too. :slight_smile:

3. Hi.I feel that one does not necessarily HAVE to be in a relationship to know.e.g. I have never been in a proper relationship with a girl,but I still know that I am gay.Its a knowledge that comes from deep inside.Not saying that you two are lesbians(you may/may not be).I feel the answer becomes more and more clear as time goes by though.Sometimes we are just questioning(forget about the word confused for awhile)true,however,at other times we do know deep down.So I suppose you two have to figure out:what is stronger:the questioning or the knowing deep down.Its not quite as simple as that I suppose(although for some it is).

4. IG88

I feel ya. I've never had a boyfriend, I've had girlfriends in the past, but nothing more than kissing. I don't know what my sexual orientation is, and as much as I hate to admit it, it bothers me not to know. Currently, I'd like to get a girlfriend, but so far no success. :icon_sad:

People (especially parents) are interested in who my future wife is going to be, if I like any girls at school, etc.. And honestly, even though they have good intentions when asking, it's none of their business. I think you shouldn't come out as lesbian yet until you feel more sure of your orientation. Maybe you could come out as bi as a temporary thing, that way people won't be surprised if you start dating a girl.

5. Stingray

Stingray Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't tell anyone about your sexual orientation until you figure it out for yourself. You can ask rude, nosy people why it's any of their concern.

6. Im Just Me

You could be bi, even if it's with a strong preference for women. Or you could just end up labeling yourself differently. You don't know at this point, which is why you're questioning.
    I say, don't come out unless you want to, which it kind of sounds like you do?Just tell it how it is. Say you aren't completely sure where you stand yet, but you know you find women attractive? If you want to, of course.

I would suggest not actually using the words gay or lesbian until you are sure, though, because if it turns out you're not, I feel like it kind of contributes to the "it's just a phase" or "gay people are confused" thoughts some people have.

Just be honest and say you don't know who you like, but you are leaning towards women, if you want to say something.

7. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I would never ever come out unless you were 9999999999999% sure about being your sexuality....Once you put something out there, you can't really just take it back

8. Etak

I came out without a label, just as liking girls. I'm still trying to figure things out, too, but I'm at least free to be who I am. There's nothing wrong with just being honest about where you stand. :slight_smile: