1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is being gay Hereditary?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Geek, Mar 23, 2014.

?

Is being LGBQ hereditary/Do you have any LGBQ family members

1. Yes (no family members that I know of are LGBQ)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Yes (I have family members that are suspected or confirmed LGBQ)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No (no family members that I know of are LGBQ)

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. No (I have family members that are suspected or confirmed LGBQ)

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The reason I ask is because
    1. growing up, all my aunt's friends thought my dad was gay
    2. when my cousin had a Facebook, she didn't list any orientation information at all and she was listed as single. However, all her photos were with her and another women and if not that, other females. It's somewhat clear that she's a lesbian.
    3. my other cousin is bi (she's in a relationship with a women but has had a boyfriend while in college but not confirmed as Facebook orientation is blank). This is the kid of my Aunt who all her friends thought that my dad was gay.

So I ask you.
    1. Is being gay herreditary (in your opinion)?
    2. do you have any other LGBT or suspected LGBT family members?

#1 Geek, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Why does it matter?Ever thought of that?In my personal opinion it can be genetic,environmental,or a combination of the two.And even when environmental,it still is not a choice.But in the end...why does it matter?I know its all comforting to have a clear answer.X Y Chromosomes and all of that.I quite like a sense of mystery though.It keeps things interesting.In the end it is not a choice though,whether hereditary or not.That is just my opinion,feel free to disagree.I suspect that it is genetic(I have heard that this has been proven but not sure how much truth there is in that statement its probably more of a strong suspicion)however,if it is...so what.And even if it is not hereditary-why is that a problem?I suppose it makes things easier if there are clear answers though so it does ''matter'' to an extent.However,I feel that people should be accepting of it regardless.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 12:53 AM ----------

I do feel it is okay to ask that question though,so please do not misinterpret.Sounds much more logical to me than,for instance,thinking it has ties to freemasonry and is a spiritual disorder(yes,that is an opinion of someone living close to my house,despite him being gay himself,which he confirmed).

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I voted Yes (I have family members that are suspected or confirmed LGBQ). My great-uncle and maybe my female cousin are gay (but I don't have any contacts with them) and maybe there's another family member who isn't cisgender but I'm not sure.

4. blueberrymuffin

Suspect it's hereditary but not necessarily as you think. The Minnesota twin study revealed that "identical" twins share sexuality 50% of time, and fraternal twins about 25%. There may be some additional very slight correlations for non-twins, but that's about extent of it.

2. gay uncle and bisexual cousin

5. Saint Otaku

I voted "no" because -- while I believe it is possible genetics have some influence on sexuality -- I think prenatal development might play a larger role. I have a gay grandmother and gay second-cousin.

6. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see how it could be. Gays typically don't reproduce. Kinda seems like if it were genetic natural selection would've prevented homosexuality from existing. I hear it may have somthing to do with testosterone levels in the womb though. I don't really care.

7. newfish

Okay, I voted wrong. I meant to vote No (I have family members that are suspected or confirmed LGBT I think that it is genetic or pre-natal development, but it can't be passed down.

8. BelleFromHell

I think it is. My mom said she went though a bisexual phase when she was younger.
    I think that other factors, like being the youngest of multiple brothers and the flow of chemicals to your brain while in the womb are more powerful, however.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Withholding my vote because I honestly have no idea. I have a half sister who's lesbian, but nature vs. nurture is a very old and never completely closed problem.

10. afroblackbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hereditary, I'm not sure. Every member of my family is VERY STRAIGHT except me. Mother didn't pass it down, its just the way I was meant to be. Like how I didn't choose my gender or the size of my nose

11. thrnvlpidj

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is some scientific research that supports a genetic basis for sexuality. But, it doesn't seem like there is one factor that for sure will determine a person's sexuality. That's what you see in the members here, who represent a spectrum of sexual orientations, not just gay or straight cisgender.
    Does a gay gene exist?

13. Cass

I did not vote
    There isn't evidence in either direction
    Everyone has a gay family member somewhere
    For me it's a distant cousin
    I do sometimes wonder I I'll have gay or bi kids
    But who knows

14. biggayguy

I suspect a second cousin is gay but it's circumstantial evidence. There was also an older distant cousin that people said was crazy. It turned out when I spoke to her that she was a lesbian. She wasn't crazy just different.

15. Sorceress of Az

I don't believe it is.
    I believe we are all born with no orientation,
    and that as we grow it sets into place as a fixed unchangable thing when we are very young.
    I don't believe it is possible to control or change what a persons orientation is.

16. White Knight

Weren't there a study about gay gene on late 80s or early 90s? Later it proved to unpredictible so we are back at "for unknown reasons" square. But they know gay rams has hormonal or molecular difference in their brains.

17. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It doesn't "matter" technically but I'm just curious....

Historically people didn't come out as gay and often would end up marrying and reproducing with the opposite gender which still happens today. If someone is gay but has a cover up, the gay gene could theoretically be passed down. At least that's how I see it

18. Clay

I voted no simply because I have no gay family members.

19. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I have no family members that I know of who were LBG or T.

20. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    On my dad's side I have no idea as he was adopted. On my mum's side there was an uncle who was suspected of being bi or gay and there was also a (first cousin or something I think?) male who the family had also speculated about who unexpectedly committed suicide despite having a seemingly happy life, lovely wife, two young children, good job etc. Nothing confirmed though. My mum herself had an experience with a woman once but says she didn't enjoy it, and also mentioned having 'bisexual feelings' for one of her female friends. Honestly though I think if you look close enough every family probably has a few people that could be gay or bi so it doesn't tell you very much. Personally I give more credence to the uterine development theory. I read about studies that showed women who have the ring finger considerably longer than the index finger (a known sign of high testosterone exposure in the womb, and something I myself have) were almost universally lesbian. With men who had shorter ring fingers than index the results were a bit more complicated but they still displayed some variance from the males with typical finger ratios: being gay, trans etc.

Well the main theory is that the gene would be passed down by the parent of the opposite sex; mother to son or father to daughter, thus someone could be carrying the gene without it affecting them personally and still produce offspring, some of which may be gay.
    Regardless of the cause I've always thought there could be strong evolutionary benefits to having a percentage of a species being gay, because it strikes me that this would be an effective way to avoid extinction through overpopulation. The survival of a species depends not just on reproduction but also on the the ability to fit in with the ecosystem without consuming all its resources. It has been shown in studies with lab rats that when a pregnant female is placed under stress (scarce food, overcrowding etc) her offspring will be far more likely to display atypical gender/sexual behaviors.