1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poly, curious, or just a douche?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by justjade, Mar 23, 2014.

1. justjade

OK, I was wondering as I've been for a while if perhaps I'm polyamorous. I mean, I've always thought it was possible to love more than one person at a time, but I guess I always considered it cheating because, well, that's the only way I've been with more than one person at a time.

I talked to my husband about this yesterday. We didn't talk about the possibility of me being polyamorous, but we did talk about polyamorous relationships themselves. I talked like I thought they were weird because I figured he would, too, and he just said, "Well, can't the heart want more than one person at a time? I don't see why it couldn't work."

:eek: WHAAAAAAAAAT?!

Seriously, I didn't expect that from him! I don't even know what to think. Am I actually polyamorous, or am I just curious? Or am I just a douche? The truth is, I really don't know, but everything kind of makes sense now. I kind of wondered why he was always pushing me towards my friend who's now in the Air Force. Maybe that's it. I really have no idea how to proceed. I don't think my friend would be into it because, as he says, he's "not that desperate". But I'm afraid to talk to my husband about this again. He's a lot more of a free spirit than I gave him credit for, but what the hell is going on? I can't say I'd want to be in a polyamorous relationship if I had permission. Maybe I've just liked the thrill of cheating. I'm going to have to talk to my therapist about this. I have an appointment with her on Wednesday. But I was wanting to know what you guys thought about this, I guess. :help:

2. You're not a douche at all. You could be curious, maybe you should read up on other poly relationships and see if it still appeals to you. I'm not quite sure how it would be "cheating" since your husband would be involved in your poly relationship as well.

Maybe you could watch a movie together with your husband about a poly relationship to bring the convo back up and see how he feels about it. You could say something like "that movie was really interesting, would you ever do something like this?"

3. justjade

Thanks. That's a really good idea. It's just kind of a casual way to bring it up, which is good because if it was just me, I'd probably make it all serious. :lol:

I've read some stuff, and it sounds interesting. I mean, it's just like every other relationship, except there are more than two people involved. I've also read that it doesn't really have a negative effect on any children of the parties involved either. It seems really sound and pretty nice. I admit, I went in with quite a bit of cynicism, but I see how it could work.