1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first lgbtq alliance meeting!!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by racheyrach, Mar 25, 2014.

1. racheyrach

racheyrach Guest

I don't have much time to post a lot, but I got enough courage to 1) talk to some people in the rainbow alliance office and 2) go to a rainbow alliance meeting!!
    I have to thank my friend for the courage to go to the first meeting. She said that 20 seconds of insane courage was all I needed. And I used those 20 seconds to basically run into the office where they were chilling. These two girls were in there and they told me all about rainbow alliance and they told me their stories... And they were in the same boat as me freshman year! So they encouraged me to go to the official rainbow alliance meeting. So I did. It was really scary because everyone there already knew people and had friends and were talking, goofing off, etc... So I felt really shy. The other thing I noticed was how many people I recognized there (even my good friends roommate...) and it was cool to see that. I'm also glad I went this week because it was the week people brought straight allies with them. I guess that comforted me because I didn't want to walk straight into this meeting and people being like woah this girl is questioning or any other assumptions. I actually saw a lot of nursing students there too... I don't know if they are allies or if they were regular members... I guess I'll find out.

I'll definitely be going back for the duration of the school year. I didn't learn any monumental thing about myself, but my mind was put to ease knowing that there's a community of people who are here to support me. Plus the president was totally awesome and hilarious! That's all I have for now, I gotta go to class. Like I said I didn't make any major discoveries, but then again I'm not going to try to rush this process. It'll come eventually.

2. AmiBee

Congrats for getting up the courage to go. That's great!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone