1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for everyone who is gay/lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by IsThisAName, Mar 26, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

I recently accepted myself as bisexual but I am starting to wonder whether I am gay. So I had a question for anyone who is gay or lesbian since I'm trying to figure things out. Before you realized you were gay, did you have what you believed to be "crushes" on the opposite sex? And can you describe what these crushes were like? I have felt less and less attracted to men and I'm starting to wonder whether my attraction to men in the past was actually attraction at all. I've had what I thought were crushes on the opposite sex in the past but my feelings for girls are 1000000x stronger than any feelings I have for men.

I know there's a possibility I could be bi and that you don't have to be equally attracted to men and women to be bi, but I really am not sure whether my attraction to men is real. When I see a cute guy I might swoon over him or get flustered talking to him but that's as far as it goes, I don't think about having sex with men really. When I do it feels like I'm only doing it so I can prove to myself that I like men. My feelings for girls are waaaay stronger. But I'm still confused because I do see guys that I think are hot and stuff.

My crushes on guys in the past are usually short lived. If I like a guy and I start talking to him, as soon as he starts to show interest or gets too flirty I pull away. I always attributed it to "commitment issues" or maybe I just got over the guy, but my crushes on girls are much stronger and last longer. So I'm just confused. Can anyone who's gay tell me if this is similar to what they're feeling and answer some of the questions I asked? I just wanna compare my experience to others and see if anyone else has felt this.

#1 IsThisAName, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Before recognizing I was lesbian I thought I crushed several times on guys. Now I know I just forced myself to do it so. That was stupid I know but all I wanted was to be like the others. be a part of them. So I told them 'I think this guy is quite hot and I do like him veeerryy much'. Todya when I'm saying someones hot it's a girl. And yea my feelings for girls compared to the "feelings" to boys are much!!! stronger. Sometimes I think this boy looks good but that's all. No butterflies no tickle in my stomach:slight_smile:
    You can be physically attracted by men but only romantically (and physically) attracted to girls. But in my opinion girls are soo much prettier than boys and men:grin::grin:
    Good luck then figuring out:slight_smile::slight_smile:

3. polaroid

polaroid Guest

I believe I'm in a similar position as you. Whilst I appreciate the opposite sex, I can't say I've really felt 'true' attractions for them. Like you, my feelings for females are also way more stronger than for males. Also, I noticed that some of my crushes for females tend to develop over time whereas when I 'crush' on a male, it's more about the initial meeting and fades quite quickly. You can say that perhaps it's more physical attraction and nothing else. That being said, my male acquaintances/friends have been very low for a while now. Perhaps I need to know more males to form a solid conclusion on that.

Personally, I think I'm gay but I say I'm bi at the moment because I do feel attraction to the opposite sex sometimes (even though it's very rare). I haven't really been romantically close to an opposite sex so I feel that I can't definitely say anything yet. I feel that it's daft to make decisions without experiencing it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I really liked somebody and they happened to be male, then that's fine. I wouldn't not like them just because they happened to be a guy. So far though, I just really dig the female species. :grin:

4. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to C&P somthing I just wrote in my coming out thread. Yes, I have had crushes on men. I think I call it a crush simply because of societal expectation. I have a desire to be noticed by men, even though I have no desire to be with them. So I call it a crush because I want them to notice me. In my thread on the coming out board, I wrote this description to explain the difference between me being physically attracted (or what I would call that) and sexually attracted. I think it applies here. Have you every thought about it in this way?

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I realized I was lesbian when realized that I only liked women and no longer like men . I don't think I ever really liked a guy .l only forced myself to and used them because I was lonely and going through family trouble and stress

6. IsThisAName

Polaroid, that definitely sounds like exactly what I'm going through. I see guys that I find attractive every once in awhile but the thing is I don't really feel sexually attracted to them. I might turn my head a couple times cause I think he's super good looking, but if I try to picture doing anything with him I don't really feel anything, ya know?

Also, Valerie, what you copied and pasted definitely describes me I think. If I see a guy shirtless and he's really muscular, I'll think he's really good looking and will make comments to whoever's with me that he's hot. But it's not like it gets me aroused or anything. With girls it's like I can find any little thing about them attractive to the point where I can't focus in class because the girl sitting next to me is so hot, hahaha. But if I see a hot guy I don't really fantasize about him and when I do it feels forced, like I have to consciously do it, whereas with girls I'm not even trying to think of them in that way and before I know my thoughts are waaaay inappropriate and I'm glad the people around me can't read minds :roflmao:

It's just really weird because I do feel like I've had attractions to men in the past emotionally to where I thought I wanted to be with them and be in a relationship with them. But even then, I never felt super turned on by them, not even in my crazy hormone raging teenage years. The farthest it usually goes for me is freaking out because a guy looks hot shirtless, but even that doesn't turn me on really, if that makes any sense at all. It's like I can see some of the beauty in men but right now I don't feel like I want sex with them.

7. polaroid

polaroid Guest

Does this bother you a lot though or you're just kind of wondering? I wouldn't really worry about it though. What you like is what you like. As long as you're happy and you aren't hurting anybody, all is well.

8. IsThisAName

I wouldn't say it bothers me, I'm just trying to figure things out is all. Not to offend anyone, but part of me feels like it'd be a lot easier if I am just gay and not bisexual, if that makes any sense. Like, a few years ago it really would have bothered me that if I'm gay I can't live the stereotypical life of marrying a man, etc but honestly it doesn't phase me. I'd be happy marrying a woman. I'm just wondering cause I'm having a hard time understanding whether I'm attracted to men or not is all.

9. polaroid

polaroid Guest

Understandable. Ha, yeah, it would be a lot easier if I was just straight.

10. IsThisAName

Believe me, I agree! Honestly I'm learning to embrace it though, whether I'm gay or bi. Girls are too cute to not love them. :wink:

11. Theron

I realized I was gay pretty much around puberty because I've never experienced arousal in relation to female anything. I can be heteroromatic, buy definitely homosexual!

12. IsThisAName

Yeah that kinda sounds like me. I'll find guys attractive but I never really get aroused by them. I guess it's all about accepting it at this point!

13. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here.
    I haven't come out yet because I still get this niggling thought in the back of my mind of 'what if I'm wrong? What about the few males I've had crushes on before?' But the more I think about it realistically the more I realize I've been kidding myself. Yes I've had crushes on men before but am I aroused by them? No.
    Even if I met the most perfect man in the world I can't imagine actually wanting to have sex with him. And because my feelings for them are so fleeting and I'm so easily put off I already know that a relationship just wouldn't work. When I was a few years younger I had a more idealized notion of how it could work but it strikes me now that I was deliberately focusing on men I knew were unobtainable so that I wouldn't have to deal with it.
    It's a big headache though knowing that I'll have to explain all of this to my mother and friends because they will surely ask about the things I've said in the past and I find myself wishing I hadn't exaggerated my feelings for men to convince myself, because now it makes me think they will just assume I'm confused or a liar. :icon_sad:

14. IsThisAName

That last thing you said--YES! Exactly! I've been thinking the exact same thing. I already came out to my mom as bi but I really feel like if I am gay, when I come out to her as gay she's not going to believe me at all, because I do make comments about attractive men and I've said a lot of things in the past. But the thing is, at the end of the day I can't really think of any guys I would want to have sex with. I feel like my mom is going to say that I've had crushes on guys in the past and I talk about guys being cute, so I obviously like them. But all of those things have been fleeting and haven't lasted, and I really can't imagine enjoying sex with a guy the way I would enjoy having sex with a girl. I feel like it's going to be really hard to convince her, but I think at the end of the day (and the same goes for you), when I do tell her, I'm just going to have be blunt and say look, I really have no desire to have sex with men, and I hope that will get the point across to her.

15. bluebelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm at the same place as I've come to terms that I'm bi but now think I'm gay. I can chime in with friends went commenting on a guy being hot or attractive but can't picture myself being with them. Plus a lot of friends I had, had major crushes on guys growing up but I never really went all goo-goo over the latest it-boy, I never really took notice before but now I am.

16. WallWeed

I've never had a crush on a male, neither sexual or romantic.

I've had admiration towards males, in a sense of "Wow, you're such a cool guy, I wish I could be like you/be buds with you," kind of way. I would get nervous around them and such, which I suppose some might confuse as a crush, but it was definitely more peer anxiety than anything, as I highly cared about their opinion of me. Never felt "attracted" or aroused or any desire to be intimate in any way with them.

17. IsThisAName

Ok, so the resounding response seems to be that many of you who are gay really haven't had crushes on the opposite sex. It's possible that what I believed to be "crushes" on guys weren't crushes at all. But, if I have had crushes on guys in the past, would you say that would mean I'm not gay? I haven't had a crush on a guy or felt any real attraction to a guy at all ever since accepting the fact that I'm attracted to girls. It's just been all about girls ever since I became aware of myself. What do others make of this? Just trying to get some insight.

18. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose in one way the fact that she already knows you're not straight might mean it comes as less of a shock when you tell her, idk for sure though, hard to tell how someone will react until you actually say it. You can try explaining to her that you thought you felt a certain way towards guys but now you've realized it's different to how you feel with girls.
    When I talk to my mother I want to be as honest about it as possible (if she lets me get a word in edgeways, you would not believe how she can talk! :lol: ). I am prepared to answer any questions she might have and to clarify to her the difference between when I've found someone cute as opposed to actually being sexually aroused by them. I suppose I should be grateful really that I have a mum whom I'm able to discuss sexual matters with, it must be far more difficult for people coming out to close-minded or conservative parents that don't talk about more personal things.
    I have a feeling my mum already knows on some level. I'm a little more concerned about my best friend though. The way we actually met was due to our mutual interest in a male comedian. I liked him more for his work but she really fancies him and after a while I developed a sort-of crush on him as well (he was VERY androgynous, I could squint and imagine he was a girl :icon_wink ). But it was always a main topic of conversation and I felt like I had to exaggerate my interest somewhat and now when I tell her, I'm worried it's going to affect our friendship, like she'll either think I was lying to her or not believe me. I don't generally care what people think of me but my mum and my friends are very important esp as I don't have a wide social circle.

19. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I'll address only this portion of your thread.

The three times I had crushes in the opposite sex, they were all before eighth grade.

The first was for a woman named Jennifer. She was an uncommonly beautiful individual (red hair, soft features, kind and gentle personality) and I felt that we had great times together. We were "together" for about a week-- and what drew me to her was my great respect in her beauty and my enjoyment of her company-- not any attraction to see her in bed, develop a future partnership, or a physical arousal.

My second crush's name was Jordan. She was kind of a tom-boy and we always got-along. Similar process, different woman. Thankfully, none of these women were hurt-- they all seemed to accept that the interest in company and understanding was there, but not romance.

Last but CERTAINLY not least, my dearest and oldest friend Jessie. I know I talk about her passionately to everyone-- she has a great face that is round, soft, and sweet; her eyes are beautiful; if I were straight then her body would be perfect; she is kind, gentle, assertive, talkative-- perfect in every way... if I were straight. We were friends before and after my crush.

My desire to advance the relationship, once we were "together," was never there with any of these ladies. I enjoyed their company, they made me laugh and smile. But I never got aroused, my heart never felt compelled, my hopes didn't involve them, there was no desire for romance of commitment, no interest to kiss or make-love to, etc. It didn't feel "right" or natural.

20. IsThisAName

TigerInaTophat, our moms sound soooo similar! My mom would talk anyone's ear off. I know I'll have to convince her. I actually talked to my moms best friend tonight who is a lesbian, and she said the same thing. She said my mom will probably try a bunch of things to see if I am "sure" but to just remember she loves me unconditionally. Her and my mom have been best friends for 40 years and she says my mom still tries to "test" her to see if she's really gay (even though she's been with her current partner for 10 years). I think it's just our mom's way of accepting it and they will come around.

Emkorora,the last part of what you described sounds a lot like me. When I have talked to guys and things are getting close to taking "the next step" I always back out. I always thought maybe it was cause I just wasn't interested in a guy. Growing up my mom would make comments like "wow, you've gotta stop getting creeped out when guys flirt with you, that's what they're supposed to do!" and I felt like it was weird that I didn't enjoy having a guy call me beautiful, compliment me all the time, etc. If it's an attractive guy, my heart will flutter but once they start piling it on thick I'm just completely turned off and it feels like an annoyance. I did have one boyfriend that I thought I had really strong feelings for--we never did anything except cuddle and cutesy stuff like that, but really it was like you said, I enjoyed his company and just liked being around him a lot. I would imagine a future with him sometimes but never really in depth and I didn't want to have sex with him even though I thought I loved him. Hmmm. I don't know. For some reason even when I came out as bi, the word "bi" didn't feel right. It didn't feel accurate. The more I think about the label of being gay, the more it feels right. Weird.