1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can music show the other side of you?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by UG Scorpio, Mar 26, 2014.

1. UG Scorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi guys. I am wondering if the type of music you listen to can help you find out if you are gay or not.? I love to listen to Demi Lovato ( my favourite I have all her albums), Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and many more. People in my school take the mick out of me all the time because I listen to them and I wonder if you guys have the same problem.
    Love you all (*hug*)

2. BelleFromHell

I don't know about my homosexuality, but I'm a very shy and quiet person with bipolar disorder, and listening to music helps me let out some of my emotions. I mostly listen to classic rock, metal, J-pop, K-pop, 80-00's pop, hip hop, and rap, but I like most genres really.

I guess the song "Same Love" by Macklemore helped me accept being a lesbian. :slight_smile:

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I don't think it can tell if you're gay or not. Just depends, because everyone likes something different. Sure, one of the indicators that I was bi was that I could sing songs about girls and not have a problem with it, and didn't mind singing from the perspective of a guy. Pronouns didn't bug me. But that wasn't just for one genre of music, it applied to any genre with male singers (meaning all of them). I do think music can show the other side of someone's personality though. For example, I'm generally pretty nice, don't get into a lot of trouble, and stay within my small circle of friends. But a lot of my music is either intense rock or some other weird genre. You wouldn't think someone like me could listen to aggressive music... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Don't have a certified study to cite on this. But I seem to notice an interest in classical music inordinate to the straight population among queer folks.

Almost all of the music I listen to is classical.

5. polaroid

polaroid Guest

Hm... this is an interesting one. Whilst I understand there may be gender implication on music genres, I don't think you can tell someone's sexuality accurately from just their music taste alone. A close friend of mine who is self-proclaimed straight listens to all sort of music. At one point she liked metal very much. I also know a few straight guys who likes those artists or similar to those you listed. To be honest, especially the guys, I think some like those artists than they care to admit. If anything, I think music taste reflects how the person is feeling/going through (their life) at that moment in time. Then again I can also appreciate how sexuality (as dictated by the norm) may influence the choices in music.

In my case, I've always liked rock. Ranging from Beatles, Slash, Velvet Revolver, Alter Bridge, Arctic Monkeys to Avril Lavigne, Paramore, The Pretty Reckless etc. I also got into metal two years ago but I also like blues, soul and some pop. The likes of Norah Jones, Ingrid Michealson, John Mayer etc etc. I don't know what you make of that.

6. UG Scorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I see what you are all saying I have periods in my life where I just listen to eminem and/ or ska/ Reggie ( Which is other one of my favourites)

7. wildfang

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I had a brief phase last year where I almost seriously considered whether listening to too much Tegan&Sara had made me believe that I liked girls XD

But I do find listening to songs you can really relate to in your current situations/mindset really helps. A lot of what I listen to expresses my sad side, sometimes the songs just say what you can't say to people. Ya know?
    It's like, I'm not one of those people who post song lyrics everywhere, but Ellie Goulding, atm you really get me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This sums it up pretty well:

[​IMG]

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

About me, I think it shows more my gender identity than my sexual orientation.

9. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Music is a huge part of me, so it has definitely helped mtoe to get to know different sides of me. It has made me to question and to accept myself the way I am.

I remember when Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl came out at the same time I had just started to really question my sexuality. It was good to listen to that song all over again - and also to see what others were reacting to the song. After that I discovered Tegan and Sara and now Im somewhere over the rainbow lol So I've travelled a long way from I kissed a girl and I liked it to She keeps me warm :--D

I still have songs that give me strength to carry on when I have rough times. Im not struggling with my sexuality anymore, but these same songs give me strength. Like if I have to go and see lot of family members who ask when I bring a boy for them to meet, before that I tend to listen to some gay-related music to feel better and stronger. I do think that being gay can be my strength if I use my thoughts right. If that makes any sense :---D

10. 2112

It's just a stereotype. My favourite bands are Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, and Radiohead...

11. 7eye

7eye Guest

I mostly like anything before this decade's music, particularly 2000s music; does that tell me anything, besides me hating today's crappy music? To be specific, I'm into rock music, a bit of rap (only for the beat tho), some pop, and those chill ambient songs.

12. lowkey

lowkey Guest

music doesnt help me, everything is based off female and man emotions. the 'straight life' so you got a guy singing about a girl and saying her and then a girl sing about 'him'

13. Calix

For me it's more about my gender identity I guess. I've always thought of myself as pan/bi, but since accepting I was trans I have found that when I listen to a lot of 'straight' songs I see myself being with a girl rather than a guy. Which is odd since I've had more attractions to guys than girls in the past. Oh well, life's unpredictable.