1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is sexual attraction?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tardis221B, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

I'm just curious what people feel or experience when they feel sexual attraction? Is it a very frequent occurrence? Is it a conscious or unconscious occurrence? How do you know if you experience it?

I myself I am fairly certain that I fall somewhere on the asexual spectrum, as i don't think i experience sexual attraction and i am almost 20 years old. I experience romantic and aesthetic attraction, but I've never really understood sexual attraction, no matter how much I read about it. If anyone could help me understand this concept a bit more, I would really appreciate it.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Question for you.

You mention 'aesthetic' attraction. Now I have a pretty good idea of what I think the difference is between that and sexual attraction, but I'm curious.

What is 'aesthetic' attraction to you exactly?

3. Tardis221B

Aesthetic attraction for me is looking at someone and simply admiring them in the same way I would a beautiful painting. For example, I can tell if a person is beautiful and I might want to admire them from a distance, but I would rather not have sex with them. And the thought of sex with anyone very rarely crosses my mind unless I'm questioning my orientation.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So when sex DOES cross your mind, how do you usually feel about it?

5. Tardis221B

I feel indifferent, get bored, and quickly become distracted thinking about other things that do not relate to sex.

6. Soaring

The best way I can explain sexual attraction is well... wanting to have sex with someone. I feel aroused and find my mind trying to wander to inappropriate places. If they touched me even in the most innocent way it might give me goosebumps. It doesn't mean that if the chance arrived I would actually have sex with them, it just means that it is something that I desire. It's not voluntary and a lot of people actually experience sexual attraction that they wish they could get rid of but can't. You normally are very aware that its going on though.

I'm not a very sexual person so I don't really experience sexual attraction that often. It's not enough that I think I fall somewhere on the ace spectrum but I definitely experience sexual attraction significantly less than other sexuals, so I can't really help when it comes to frequency.

To me it sounds like you're most likely somewhere on the asexual spectrum. Of course I'm not you, but from what you're describing it doesn't sound as if you experience sexual attraction.