1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between sexual attraction and romantic attraction?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MyLittleWorld, Apr 12, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often it's both, but there is more like -bi -pan romantics and then there is sexuality like -bi -pan sexual. How to tell the differenece? my friend said when she has romantic feelings but no sexual attraction to person she sometimes wants to kiss them cuddle with them or hug them, no sexual stuff but it's so close. It is confusing. Any ideas?:confused:

2. RainbowMan

Sexual attraction is the desire to have sex with somebody, put simply. Romantic attraction is all that you mention above - the desire to be close with someone, cuddle with them, hug them, etc - but it stops short of having sex with them.

Hope that helps!

3. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually romantic attraction is a bit further than a good cuddle or holding hands. A romantic orientation is what gender(s) you desire to have candlelight dinners with or perform other intimate "lovey-dovey" gestures with like giving flowers, gifts, etc. Romantic orientation is who gives you the "butterflies" and makes you fall IN LOVE.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sexual attraction is just being interested in having sex with someone. They may not be the right person for you. They could even be bad for you, as in having them in your group of friends let alone in a relationship.

Romantic attraction means desiring intimacy with a person and to have them be a part of your life. Most of the time, it does include sexual attraction. In a few cases, it may not.

Romantic attraction without sexual attraction usually means the situation is not workable. Sexual attraction without romantic attraction means the situation doesn't even stand a chance on a long-term basis.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So where does the bi romantic lesbian come into play ? this is what makes me confused
    Because I would think if they had sexual attraction to a guy wouldn't that make them bisexual ? but if it was just emotional that I can understand which I think most bi romantic lesbians are .

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the risk of upsetting the apple cart (and some people who are attached to these non-recognized labels), you're best off simply ignoring the whole trend in separating differences in romantic vs sexual orientation. There's no support for them in the psychology literature, and from the little bit of anecdotal discussion I've seen, the labels tend to confuse more than clarify. Furthermore, it's virtually unheard of to see someone who has been out for more than 3 or 4 years labeling romantic and sexual orientations separately.

In other words... the separation frequently serves as a crutch during the "bargaining" phase of the coming out process for people who are not yet ready to acknowledge that they are gay, in much the same way that people used to (and still do) identify as "bi" during the "bargaining" phase. (Not to say there aren't genuinely bisexual people, but that a lot of people who aren't use that term while they're coming to terms themselves.)

An additional issue is the difference between sexual attraction (which is pretty primal, largely unconscious, and not easy to hide from the conscious mind) and what you are consciously aware of, which is heavily influenced by what you want, what sort of homophobia and such you've been exposed to growing up, and the potential discomfort that comes of accepting yourself as gay or lesbian. These factors make the whole nature of "romantic" orientation almost completely worthless because there are so many variables that affect the so-called orientation.

So you're a lot more likely to come to clarity with yourself (at least in my humble opinion) if you discard the concept of separate romantic and sexuality orientations, and throw away the need for a label at all. Give yourself time to figure out who you are. Once you've done that, it will be a lot clearer.

7. IG88

People who label themselves as homosexual are assumed to like the same sex: they want to date as well as have sex with someone of the same sex. The homoromantic term is implied. A biromantic homosexual person would enjoy dating both men and women, but would only have sex with someone of the same sex.

Essentially, romantic attraction is wanting to kiss the other person on the lips, and sexual attraction is wanting to kiss them on the genitals.

8. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Why would anybody date someone but ultimately not want to have sex with them? Thats essentially leading a person on if you haven't told them that you are just "romantic" with them. I don't know who in their right mind would get into a dating relationship with someone who isn't sexually attracted to them. *This does not apply to asexuals*

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with chip on not rushing or feeling you have to label yourself type of thing

10. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Romantic attraction without sexual attraction usually means the situation is not workable." Maybe it can work in some cases:confused:

11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So where sensual attraction stands?

12. Agaetis Byrjun

Thank you for sharing this opinion, I am really interested in learning more.

I'm curious because I've experienced at times what seemed to be a severe disconnect between my romantic and sexual desires. I mean, between ages 15 and 19, having weird, intense crushes on men with no sexual desire. The last one, whom I eventually got into a long relationship with, we got together, and I lied to him, made up stories of sexual fantasies that I'd had when he asked. (really should have been a red flag, that one, lol) I didn't realize until about a year ago that I could be sexually attracted to women, and I still don't have crushes on women of the kind of intensity that I used to have on men. Like, wanting to cuddle and kiss and share my deepest worries and musings about life and society, to have this impossible feeling of connection, this intellectual intimacy. It's almost like an infatuation based only on the mind. Do you think a person's romantic desires can develop this way from exposure to a very heteronormative culture, while sexual orientation will out eventually in spite of the romantic relations that we're taught to expect? Did I just experience these romantic desires because I was/am lonely? I don't know how to make sense of the feelings I've had in the past.

13. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sensual attraction is usually just liking to hug, hold hands and caress someone you feel close to. Like a sense of warmth and comfort from skin to skin contact. For most people, this usually leads to being sexual with that person. However, for people who are closeted or struggling with their sexuality, being "sensual" with the opposite sex is often done (subconsciously) in an attempt to try and trick their bodies into becoming aroused by them. Sensual attraction alone doesn't make a relationship as fulfilling as truly desiring someone romantically/sexually.

14. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So when sensual attraction becomes sexual attraction? if even kissing isn't sexual really ;?

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think so sexual attraction is who you want to sleep with and who you also seek out sex with sexual attraction also plays a huge role in sexual orientation

16. trauma

Very relevant question... Generally popular discourse on sexuality assumes that romantic and sexual orientation are one and the same. But at least from personal experience and from whatever I have read of other people's stories, they are two different categories. I see myself as romantically attracted to the same sex and mildly to the opposite. And romantic meaning the non-sexual moments though I would include sensual within the romantic. For me sexual and romantic are incompatible. But I guess there are a lot of people for whom romantic leads up to the sexual expression.

17. Thank you so much for this. it makes so much sense.