1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend outed me as straight...?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Axxel, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Axxel

Axxel Guest

So, I was out with three friends recently: Trisha who is a lesbian, Laura who is bi-curious and John who is straight. I'm a bi-gendered physical female and I'm interested in the fellas. The girls hadn't met my other friend before and they all seemed to be getting on reasonably well.

Trisha and Laura had spent most of the day flirting. Trish has a definite thing for Laura and Laura seems to like her very much too but won't admit anything either way. Because of this, Trisha also flirted with me a few times to see if Laura reacted jealously (which she did). As the day drew to a close we were all sat around a table and Trisha and Laura were very openly discussing their relationship. John chose that moment to say, very loudly, "Two gay people and two straight people then. Alexia's straight."

This was weird because A) nobody had even mentioned me and B) John isn't usually prejudice at all against the LGBT community. In fact, he's taken part in a lot of charity work for support groups and I've only ever seen him treat everybody equally.

Naturally, the silence went on for a fair bit after that. It didn't even get laughed off, everyone in the situation just realized they had no pre-programmed response to the situation, found making one too difficult and just moved on with a different topic.

He spent the rest of the day 'policing' my masculine behaviours. This coming from somebody whose best friend dresses in full on male drag at the weekends. He knows that I'm bi-gender and has seemed indifferent about it in the past.

My question here is why on Earth did he do it? It seemed to me almost like he felt the need to 'defend' my female side and my attraction to men - and that just isn't him at all.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't this question be better if you asked it to HIM?

3. Axxel

Axxel Guest

He hedged around the question when I asked and muttered something about it not being a lie. I agree though, obviously nobody can answer it with 100% certainty like he could. It doesn't matter I suppose, it was just strange to see an ally turn like that.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, if he is skirting around it and =justifying it by saying that it isn't a lie, you are looking at 2 possibilities.

1. He feels stupid for saying it
    2. He thinks it was a good idea and doesn't want to upset you

Either way I think it's worth saying to him that saying it wasn't OK and asking for an apology.

5. Axxel

Axxel Guest

Yeah, I pulled him on it afterwards and pointed out how rudely he acted. He didn't apologize to them as far as I'm aware though. He's completely ditched all male pronouns for me since that day and no longer calls me Alex. It's Alexia full time now, which is fine enough since it's accurate sometimes, but I sincerely hope he isn't acting this way with other people now too.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then again, you need to ask him about that. If he's completely ignoring the male side of you for whatever reason the least he could do is explain why...

7. LostAndAffraid

Well, just a suggestion, it is possible he has a crush on you and I'd denying your masculinity because he's afraid what that would imply, second option is, well. I don't know I can't think of another reason to change the way you act on front of friends.

8. StarlightBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    he likes you but identifies as straight, so if he can think of you as a straight female then he can continue with his crush and possible fantasies of dating

9. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Does it matter if he calls you straight? You feel as if you are a woman and a man so part of you would be straight right?? You wouldn't even be considered trans.