1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian/Bisexual vs. "Straight" Woman

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TurtleCat, Apr 18, 2014.

1. TurtleCat

I made a post on here before asking about my sexuality, but it was kind of long-winded so I'm trying to make it more concise this time... Basically, I feel like I'm probably at least bisexual as I am romantically and sexually attracted to women. Well, definitely sexually... romantically, it's a little harder to say because I still haven't had a whole lot of experience w/ women in that regard (romantic relationships.)

But my problem is that I feel like things get confusing and muddled as far as us women are concerned. It seems like you'll come across women that identify as "straight," yet, are sexually attracted to other women, make out with them, and sometimes even sleep with or date them. My question is, with so many women like this, how do you know when you are genuinely bisexual, as in, what's the difference between being bisexual and being a "straight" woman who sleeps with other women. It seems to me like if you sleep with both sexes, you're at least technically bisexual but some people don't view it this way. Thoughts?

I'd appreciate some advice on this because I've really been going through a lot of turmoil over it and my sexual identity lately... I feel in my heart that I'm probably bisexual, but then I read about women who talk about how they straight and yet they love having sex with other women and then I feel lost and confused all over again.

#1 TurtleCat, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. cava

Other people's actions have nothing to do with how you identify yourself. If you are attracted to other women and feel that you are bisexual, then you are. You may choose to identify as bisexual heteroromantic, if your interest in women is purely physical.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how other people view their own actions; you are identifying yourself.

3. anaisninja

I don't have alot of experience either. But in my opinion, unless you are dealing with a LUG, then any woman who says she "straight" but is also sexually active with other women, is just not ready to identify as anything other than "straight." Although she is probably not straight.

However, now that I wrote that, I wonder if sexual fluidity better explains it. And come to think of it, I've heard that for many people who identify as straight, it's possible there could be one or two people of the same sex for whom they'd jump the fence. One of those "I fell in love with the person or soul first, and it just so happened she was a woman."

However, What you are describing sounds like a lot of game playing to me. I think that if a woman is going mess around with other women, they should just be honest.

eta - What cava said. She said it much more concisely than I did.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Those women are not straight, they are in denial and are an insult to the lesbian community, especially since most of them aren't even fluid/questioning, but do those actions to get a guy.

Sexually attracted to both men and women is bisexual. Period.